Serius XM on BMW

I was just made aware of my 5 series that I’m picking up this week does not have xm. That it will cost $500 to install it. Does this sound right?

Yes, doesn’t come stock and usually part of the convenience package.

Can always just use the app and the cars bluetooth.

Isn’t that kind of rediculous that BMW makes you pay an extra $500 for xm on a $60k+ car?

2 Likes

Do you guys know of anyone who will install for less than $500.

I’ve never met an XM user. You’re rare!

1 Like

Rumor is BMW is also making Apple CarPlay a yearly subscription with first year free. Too many people scored 3 series at $2-300/month, so they are trying to make money elsewhere :rofl:

1 Like

Apparently XM Radio comes installed on every BMW after 2011, so “installation” is really just coding. There are several site that do it for $200-$250 but don’t have experience. I know CarPlay can be enable through a similar process.

And yes, 2019 BMWs will have CarPlay as a subscription option ($99/year)

Nuh uh my friend - you’re the one who gave me hope on that CarPlay thing where hope did not exist haha

CarPlay requires a nav unit and enhanced bluetooth at a minimum. If you don’t have that you have to replace the entire head unit (approximately 2K and not advised on a lease) or do mirroring or drive around like an uber driver with your phone mounted.

From a YouTube video I watched, there’s an option in the idrive to install CarPlay for $300. I’ll hold off on installing the xm for the time being. I’m just used to getting in the car and going.

I’m waiting for delivery so I can’t confirm what I saw in the video though

What do you guys think of this deal on a loaner ‘18 530xi. I put down 7 msd’s, $2100 das, and $393/month for 24/12k. $58k msrp

Ha! Sorry! Yes, navigation is definitely a requirement per BMW. I was just mentioning that it can be enabled via third party coding similar to XM Radio.

I just got a new 3-series (with nav) and dealing with the activation process now since it didn’t come stock and not available in the ConnectedDrive store.

Seems like a good deal until you mentioned it didn’t have XM Radio :grimacing:

Enjoy the car!

SiriusXM Commander Touch

If you have an older car, a leased car, a car with a seriously integrated dash, or you simply don’t want to replace the stock receiver, you don’t have to settle for second-rate entertainment. The SiriusXM Commander Touch lets you add SiriusXM when you thought you were stuck with AM and FM.

The hideaway tuner connects to any receiver with an AUX input or an FM antenna connection, and the touchscreen controller mounts just about anywhere you want it. You can attach it to the dash or a vent clip using double-sided tape or an aftermarket mount (sold separately).
The hardware is only $19 after a SiriusXM activation

Commander2

That’s not a rumor.

2 Likes

That sounds like a great deal

Is the 2100 outside the DAS? If not, it’s about 480/month. That’s about 460/month if looking at only 10K/year which is good but not unicorn or that Texas unicorn that nobody will ever get ever. I approve though :slight_smile:

1 Like

$2100 was total das. Nothing towards cap. Just first month docs and acquisition

Yeah it’s a fine deal. Not amazing but definitely billium-approved.