Rumor: US EV credit to increase to $10,000

What will be the actual impact of these new ev rebates??

More finance managers buying :speedboat:

2 Likes

Ya, but will they be union built boats?

1 Like

I just don’t get the point of this highly contentious idea when you are gonna want the foreign automakers to work with you on emissions controls. If the goal is to screw Tesla the administration should find a better way.

Furthermore, from a strictly log rolling view point it doesn’t make much political sense. Union leadership support Democrats but private sector union employees are at best an even split and I’d guess vote much more GOP (most exit polling lumps all union voters together which isn’t helpful. Teachers, who are mostly college woman are of course gonna vote very differently than auto workers who are mostly non college educated men).

1 Like

This helps Tesla way more than it hurts them. Today they are facing a $7500 hole vs every up and coming EV. If it’s $2500 at the most they’d love it. Also, wasn’t some of the domestic BEV production slated for Mexico?

2 Likes

Ford really do be punching air rn. Mach E made in Mexico :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wish someone would try to screw me over by putting millions of dollars in my pocket.

I am struggling to connect all those dots:

• how is it bad for Tesla, at all, if the tax credit returns, and is increased from $7500 to $10k?
  • it doesn’t matter where the company is headquartered, if they are selling an EV in the us, they get what was formerly the max tax credit. If they build it in the US (paging Polestar), they get another $2500. If union labor builds it in the US, another $2500

That production can be moved

Edit: now this is anti-Tesla (welcome to Austin, lol)

2 Likes

Tesla can hire union workers and get even more corporate welfare than it already does. The only people who got screwed there were the employees it forced to work during covid.

1 Like

I agree that this proposal isn’t actually bad for Tesla. Whatever the benefit for using UAW labor, Tesla getting not just the $7,500 rebate back but a $10k rebate makes this a good deal for them. I misread the post about their level of benefit.

Agreed! No chance there will be any lease deals that manifest from this additional rebate.

1 Like

Certainly the main beneficiary of these hypothetical rebates will be dealerships, salesmen and finance managers who will use the rebates to make lease payments look attractive when actually they are selling the car above MSRP.

But things will return to normal and eventually dealers will have to compete more to move vehicles. Some will be willing to pass the rebates along in order to do so. I have little concern that any regular on this website will be able to get a killer EV deal.

Of course if this went into effect today with the current Inventory shortage dealers would probably be unwilling to sell you an EV via cash/finance for any sort of reasonable price. With leasing they can use these rebates to provide reasonable payments while selling the car over MSRP. Whereas if you finance a vehicle the dealership is gonna have a much harder time convincing someone to pay over MSRP since the rebates won’t show up on the sales contract.

1 Like

I think it’ll be interesting to see what happens with Tesla prices if this goes through. A sudden extra $10k off is either going to tank the used market or Elon is going to suddenly charge $10k more for a new vehicle and it’ll be a wash.

3 Likes

It looks to me like Elon made a trade with someone in exchange for kicking Bitcoin to the curb, but who knows?

1 Like

The Model Y price went up $3k in the time I was considering one. No chance it comes back down in the near future.

I put my order in as a hedge against future increases

1 Like

There is a huge need for used Teslas (Y/3) with Carvana, Vroom, CarMax et al as they will do sub-prime financing but Tesla will not. Lot of people want Teslas but don’t have the credit score, income, or credit age to get one directly.

1 Like

They sure don’t act like it only offering 5K under my next best cash offer for my P3D.

1 Like

Strange - maybe not as much performance demand. I’m getting an offer of ~$37K on my 2019 SR+ with 15k miles. I paid $40K OTD (net of taxes and rebates).

1 Like

Yeah getting 46 offer here for my fully loaded (yes actually fully loaded — all boxes are ticked) 2018 P3D w 38 on the clock.

Next best cash (private party) offer is 51.

Our X though seeing $74K offer which is actually more than we paid for it.

2 Likes

I’m assuming you have FSD then - I think private party buyers put more of a premium on that than the online sellers

1 Like

Sure do! :grinning:

1 Like