Rumor: US EV credit to increase to $10,000

They have 2 more shots at Reconciliation this fiscal year (9/30/21), per the Parliamentarian.

If driving ev adoption is the goal, I’d rather see:

• $5k purchase credit, 1 per person/lifetime, income capped — spread more money around, don’t concentrate it
  • Manufacturer capped at 10% of total sales their best year, or 500k units for new companies
  • MSRP capped at 50k

Tax credits for installing home charging, and most importantly:

Give gas stations credits to install 1-2 DCFC stations. The big thing gov’t could possibly help with here is range anxiety, not subsidizing $100k Lucids and Teslas for the wealthy.

6 Likes

Just because you can…

But anyway…More DCFC is the key here. Let the product and user experience drive sales, not handouts.

3 Likes

Sweet. This should come up just in time to juice Q4 sales. Let it rain Bolts and etrons!!

Yep - but Senate Parliamentarian said it should be ok to use again - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/infrastrucutre-bill-american-jobs-plan-reconciliation-senate-parliamentarian/

1 Like

Not going down that rabbit hole but anyway.

Hand up > Hand down.

Those are completely arbitrary numbers that will be gamed especially in the new age of OTA updates and feature enablement. Here is a $49,999 MSRP base car. Once you buy it, you can enable extended range for $10,000, advanced driving assist for $10,000, phone charging for $1000, each USB port for $50, sunroof switch will start working for another $5000, anyway, your total is $84,349 MSRP, enjoy your subsidized ride. Or we’ll lease you all the extra features for $500 a month.

Stop funding cars directly, fund infrastructure, and make sure it’s a UNIVERSAL infrastructure. We don’t need a bunch of disjointed chargers that may or may not work for some cars. Make sure that the new infrastructure is exactly like gas stations, where gas is gas regardless of what you drive. And while on the surface it may sound anti-Tesla it’s really pro-standards.

8 Likes

This is exactly right. In Europe the EU mandates every charging station have type 2 cords and every car accept type 2 chargers. So every electric car is theoretically capable of charging at any charger (Tesla still has their own network). Unsurprisingly Tesla chose to comply with this directive and modify their European cars instead of leaving the EU market.

I also used MSRP for simplicity but agree that would not work since you could game the system. List a MSRP of 49k but sell for 60k. You probably do it by saying only for cars with taxable cost of under X dollars. You can fudge a lot of things but lying about how much a customer paid for a car for tax purposes seems like it wouldn’t be worth the risk. Right now some states may not tax for over the air updates yet but if that sort of game became prevalent the laws would change quickly because states aren’t going to allow dealerships to sell a 70k car for 20k taxable and then have a customer pay 50k to turn on the power windows, radio, HVAC…i.e. make the car a usable vehicle.

Don’t be ridiculous… tesla would never do that

6 Likes

Fingers crossed this becomes a reality by the summer, just in time for NJ’s Phase 2 Electric rebate to start. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Free Leafs for everyone!

3 Likes

Inversely cheaper Taycans :eyes:

:chocolate_bar:

5 Likes

2500 bucks is a drop in the water. 5k for the NJ ev rebate on a 36 month prog makes them free.

No guarantees NJ state rebates will still be in place by the time the fed rebate kicks in, if it does. Tax exemption is more likely to stick than the 5k.

1 Like

Hi, I just leased a 2021 chevy bolt and I was wondering if the federal tax credit expired for chevy bolt?

1 Like

Yes Chevy’s Federal tax credit expired a while ago, which doesn’t matter because the person leasing the car wouldn’t get the tax credit, Chevy would.

well, that sucks

Why? It doesn’t effect you at all if you leased one

1 Like

sorry i made a mistake i meant federal income tax credit

1 Like

We are talking about the same thing. The Federal credit is for the owner of the car (the captive), not the person leasing it. The captive may choose to pass-on $0-entire credit as an incentive to the person leasing it.

This has never applied to a lease