Rumor: US EV credit to increase to $10,000

Wooooooof!:exploding_head:

2 Likes

There were 16,510 such claims. The IRS went back and got the VINs and asked everyone to refile without the duplicate.

6 Likes

To be precise, from this article it is not clear if IRS actually did sent those notices. It is dated Oct 19, and in couple of months EV credits probably became less than pressing matters.

2 Likes

The whole credit thing is getting out of hand, for example who in their right mind would buy a Nissan Leaf for 40k. The bigger the incentives the more manufacturers and dealers will raise prices. Use the money to build charging stations and let manufacturers perfect the product so the consumer can decide whether or not ev’s is worth it for them.

6 Likes

But if that is the issue the law doesn’t matter. Anyone who wants can just figure out an EV VIN and submit for the 7500 dollar tax credit.

1 Like

I believe that was one of the suggested amendments, not the final bill, which as far as I know still doesn’t even exist.

It hasn’t been voted on you’re right. But I believe it’s the latest. https://rules.house.gov/sites/democrats.rules.house.gov/files/BILLS-117HR5376RH-RCP117-17.pdf

Edit: pages 1240-1260

1 Like

So the way I’m reading that is you get the sum of a few different values that would give a decent amount for the wrangler:

• Base amount of $4k
  • $3500 if over 40 kwh/under 2.5 gallons of gas
  • $4500 for made in the USA
  • $500 for domestic content of the parts

That would suggest the 4xe incentive would be $9000 (4000+4500+500), no?

I went back and reread it and yeah that seems right. I had missed the part about the base $4000.

Check x 4(or at least the first 3) for Polestar when they start making them here.

3 Likes

An easy fix would be to disable a few desirable features like heated seats or autopilot at delivery and lower the MSRP right below $55k and then ask the buyer to pay $2k to unlock the feature if they want it after taking delivery.

1 Like

As long as one can keep the MSRP below $55k…

They already have the FWD that starts under $55k.

Season 2 Omg GIF by The Office

1 Like

They should turn over the charging network to Tesla, They have done a amazing job.

It has to be made at a US plant/factory by a unionized group, so Tesla/Toyota/Honda will not qualify for this part.

From my understanding, it also seems like leases might not qualify anymore as banks won’t be able to claim the credit, so they can’t pass it on.

Tesla has played around with pricing before to allow customers to qualify for governmental incentives/credits. Like in Canada, you can order a 93 mile Model 3 (Tesla limited to range to 93 so it could get the 3 under the price point to qualify for a Canadian tax incentive. Lol)

1 Like

Yep, depending on the final version of the bill that passes (if it passes at all) they can use this trick even to get Model S and X under the price limits at delivery…

Remember Obamacare? I bet very few people who are going to vote for it read it.

Pretty sure any unlockable at delivery feature will be qualified as MSRP by IRS.