Rookie ISO advice: 2024 Nissan Frontier - NE

Based on your numbers the trade-in value should be closer to $1,772 – this is your positive equity, it’s no different than paying cash into the deal. You can ask for this $1,772 back in the form of a check but I have no issue with you carrying this into the lease.

The discount is the “savings” reducing the MSRP to selling price. You should be looking to get closer to $3,894 where-as you are at $1,930. I will admit that MA can differ from the national market, however if one Nissan dealer will buy your Sentra, any of them will.

You may also want to look into the Nissan Ariya, it has a much better lease program, since you have Nissan loyalty.

Take that advice from @z0lt3c on getting out of that Sentra and getting a better deal as seen in the Marketplace - FORUM | LEASEHACKR .

It won’t help you, but if only you had a time machine as well to go back one year on those incredible Nissan deals…

2 Likes

Get out while they can b/c any positive equity may vanish? Or for another reason?

Heck, I’ve never seen an out I don’t like.

It is a curious valuation trend, but it is presently forecast down, as are most used car values.

4 Likes

So what’s the biggest thing I can negotiate with the sales manager? And what are the steps I need to take to get to the $420/mo payment?

All taxes are included in the monthly figures I’ve laid out already.

I will look into the Ariya. Thanks for the rec.

Like another user mentioned, why should I get out of the Sentra? Are you my sales manager in disguise :slight_smile:

That '21 Sentra is going down in value every day you drive it. Sticking money into a new lease is really not a good idea, but here it is not too much and will pay for your drive offs (DAS) and that will lower your monthly payment. Dealer is lowballing you on the Sentra and the discount from MSRP is weak per the Marketplace deals mentioned earlier.

For the best outcome: get $18k for your Sentra from the dealer (see MMR above) assuming you can and have verified that is realistic from the Carmax and Carvanas of the world, and get that discount on the Pro-4X to 7-10% w/o the rebate. Then use the Sentra cash to pay your 1st month, doc fee, government fee and acquisition fee (your drive offs) and have them give you a check for the balance.

2 Likes

Ah, okay. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t something like, “Ohmigod, the Sentra tends to blow up its engine after 3 yrs.” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Punching in a 10% discount from MSRP (before $750 rebate) with a 70% residual, 36/10, and a .00223 MF I am getting a $506/mo payment from Edmunds lease calculator which is well out of the budget.

Might have to look elsewhere than a Frontier, unfortunately.

I still want to know how the other user calculated a $420/mo payment, because that is doable.

See this post from @CarmaLeasing

2 Likes

Thank you! My assumption is my dealer has a couple $2k packages added on which makes up for the $4k difference in MSRP. Was still lowballed on the % off and value of Sentra though.

I don’t know your zip/location to run your numbers in the LHer Calc, but if you get $18k for the Sentra, use that equity for DAS and a 10% discount you definitely should be within $425/m as you can see from that @CarmaLeasing deal.

Make the dealer(s) play ball or walk.

68516 is my zip.

At 36m/12k I ran your provided numbers at $18k on the Sentra and all of it was applied to the Frontier lease (not a great idea at all, but did so for a lower payment) with 10% off. Comes out to $469 per month for all of it, with $0 DAS.

If you qualify for the $500 additional loyalty rebate from Nissan on the Sentra you would be at $453. Both numbers are not too far from $425/m, but you could always go down from the Pro-4x as well to get to the $425/m.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to do this, I appreciate it. When you say ‘not a great idea at all’ could you expand and provide your thoughts or suggestions?

Relatively new to negotiating. Got a decent deal on this car and didn’t worry too much about it previously. Thank you.

1 Like

You don’t want to sink a bunch of money into a lease. If the car gets totaled or stolen you could very easily be out that entire amount and GAP insurance will not cover that amount you sunk into it.

When totaled or stolen (non-recovered) the lease simply ends and you have no recourse to get that “sunk” money back.

1 Like

Makes sense. Say I want to look at another manufacturer (Chevy, Honda, etc.)

Do I have any leverage with my '21 Sentra despite the lease ending soon?

I think with Nissan/NMAC you may be stuck with only Nissan dealers unless it is a dealer group that has both a Nissan dealer and whatever other brand you are looking at.

Check here as the above info may have changed:

1 Like

Local dealership has a 2024 SL Frontier. Further research shows I don’t necessarily NEED a Pro-4X and the MSRP difference with the SL is $2,000. If I could talk them into 10% off MSRP on the SL, I would be at $419/mo (this is with the Pro-4X MF and residual, which might differ than SL).

Will talk to sales manager tomorrow and see if he wants to sell a truck :slight_smile:

1 Like

MF for you on SL is .00283 (.00313 on Pro-4x) and residual is the same for both at 68%. Difference will be the MF, MSRP and whatever discount you can get.