Rivian R1T Truck

The reason I’d prefer a long range EV (400+ miles) so that I can go on long road trips, and not worry about charging and such. As I mentioned previously, I am in no rush to go the EV route.

For long road trips, we currently use my wife’s Pacifica. It is the family hauler and is surprisingly pretty good on gas.

In a 2+ car family, one ICEV is more than enough for road trips.

Thus the range of the 2nd car, if it’s an EV, becomes moot.

2 Likes

We can agree to disagree on this.

I know where you’re coming from… used to feel the same way.

I had a lot more range anxiety… until I got an EV.

2 Likes

Same… used to have range anxiety so we got a PHEV first (Pacifica) but then after 4 years of use… realized we rarely used gas and knew we could go full EV.

I even just got a Standard range Y and I only use an L1 at home.

Tesla opening up their Superchargers to everyone else will also help too.

I don’t want to derail this thread, but with battery technology improving every year, the range of EVs will continue to improve.

This past summer, Car and Driver put together a list of EVs with the longest range: EVs with the Longest Driving Range, Ranked – Car and Driver.
Spoiler alert; the Lucid took the top prize.

I actually sort of don’t understand the R1T appeal.

For $70k+, would rather get a Lightning… or the R1S.

The gear tunnel is nice… but the Lightning is still more “trucky” and with part compatibility with the F-150, you know there will be good support/service there.

Like the Lightning, the Silverado EV won’t be readily available in the lower price points and even the Lightning starts at $54k now.

Fisker will go bankrupt before Rivian. Ocean is becoming a joke. An EV without working adaptive cruise control? Folks complain about Rivian’s Driver+ as being not so great and I expect Fisker’s ADAS systems to be buggier and worse.

As for Rivian, they are bleeding money on every truck/SUV sold at the old prices. If you have an older order… try it out and sell it at what you paid for it because no other time will it be this cheap.

Actually driving the vehicle is so over-rated. Cuts into my nap time.

1 Like

I didn’t like cruise control at all until I used Mach-E’s BlueCruise for a 120 miles trip. I was hands free for 90+ miles… I could grab a drink or snack from my backpack/cooler without worrying about driving lol.

Not a fan of Tesla Autopilot (without FSD). Disengages too often for the silliest reason (like changing lanes! Or a semi brushing too close). It works when it is active though.

A huge fan of the Kia Telluride HDA system. That adaptive cruise could drive itself for the same 120 mile trip I mentioned above. The Lane Keep Assist system is incredible with and without cruise. Makes Toyota/VW systems feel amateur (my ID.4 and RAV4 Prime had the worst LKA systems).

2 Likes

The appeal is the R1T is far more advanced. Rivian is only company selling EV’s with 4 motors, besides the $2mill Rimac Nevera. 4 motors provides ability for much more advanced traction control system and torque vectoring. It is the future of awd EV’s. Lightning is only dual permanent magnet motors, has no decoupling ability. Rivian vehicles are far more luxury oriented as well.

Rivian is ahead of the times really. There is nothing impressive about the Lightning drivetrain. None of Ford’s EVs are that impressive, very basic EV architecture(already dated in my opinion). Their charging curves are terrible. Audi’s old ass Etron has a better charging curve.

1 Like

Lets be fair here… the e-tron has one of the best charging curves in the industry.

2 Likes

I get the advanced tech on the Rivian but this is similar to not “real truck” people or “real SUV” people buying those vehicles. I would bet a large portion of the R1T buyers don’t understand the kind of tech they are getting… you can read the Rivian forums and see that most of the discussions are not slanted towards those details. And there is always the concern of advanced tech can cause more complex issues… especially early in the cycle.

So while Ford tech may not be as cutting edge… there is a reliability factor to consider which most of the truck segment is concerned about.

The “luxury” component is subjective… especially for a truck… I’ll take easy to clean cloth over vegan leather all day… and I don’t really need wood interior accents. :slight_smile:

Vegan leather is just the sexy way of saying vinyl with a leather texture applied to it. I’m not entirely sure it’s significantly harder to clean than cloth.

It is decent, definitely still holds up very well today. Hyundai/Kia E-GMP platform and Porsche Taycan have superior speeds and curves. Products of their 800v architecture. Mach E dc fast charging curve is just unimpressive, not aging well already.

Yes… vinyl is not very luxurious to me… prefer cloth over plastic… especially for luxury. :slight_smile:

Mostly everyone has gone pleather these days… so I was happy to get my Silverado with cloth seats… haven’t had those for almost 5 years.

While slightly different, love the look of Volvo’s “tailored wool” seats. Although, haven’t actually seen or experienced them in person.

From MT, “This tweedy weave is comprised of 30 percent wool and 70 percent recycled polyester, so it might be even earth-friendlier than “vegan leather.”

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/volvo-xc90-t8-interior-review-wooly-bully/amp/

1 Like

R1T have cooled and this R1S just sold for 108k on C&B. Quad motor and larger battery too!

Cost is 91k + Tax + 4k fees and sold for 108? some Profit but not all that great considering it’s 1st edition.

Yep for sure. First few units went for $120-130k on there.