Report: Honda Clarity PHEV Sales Now Limited To Only California

1 Like

Interesting…

I do have a Honda dealership just a few miles from my house and have noticed that I have not seen any of these on their lot in quite some time. When they first came out they had them front and center.

I suspect that this involves Honda meeting some of the California corporate emissions rules more than anything.

Makes sense, dump them all there to meet a quota. Reminds me how the domestics balance their production of cars/trucks between the US and Canada to meet CAFE averages

This is a cruel punishment. Clarity shoppers are the worst. This old guy keeps trying to use the Federal Tax Credit as lease cash.

Edit: Fail below

I am shopping for a Honda Clarity Plug-In, Touring. I am looking to lease with the following criteria:
1. MSRP - $37,520
2. 1,500 miles/month
*3. Capitalized Lease reduction Initial: $31,767. *
4. Additional deductions: $7,500 (CA incentive) to $24,267
5. 3-year lease depreciation: 40% (-$15,008)
6. Residual Value: $22,512
7. Lease Factor: 0.194
8. 3-year monthly lease (pre-tax): $166.73

8 Likes

LOL…WHAT?!..for 18k miles?..bahahahahaha!
Just have him come in when you are not there.

1 Like

From InsideEVs:
***UPDATE: According to Honda, the Clarity PHEV can be ordered at any Honda dealership in the nation. However, stock is being sent solely to California at this point in time.

Thats moderately interesting.

Wonder if it will be like Toyota. You can order anything in any region but they will just never allocate you one since it’s not something they send to that regional regularly.

That why we do so many out of state trades for unique vehicles

1 Like

I think he wants a Civic SI instead.

Some buyers may actually end up with a better deal getting this car from CA…but still, this is a curious move by Honda.

1 Like

I think it’s just basic supply and demand principle. Demand is in CA more so than the rest of the country. Why have them rot on a lot in Boise when they can sell them in CA.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen, the Clarity PHEVs sell the moment they hit the lot in SoCal. Meanwhile, there’s 36 sitting on lots in a 50 mile radius of NYC. Makes sense to allocate the cars to the locations that sell them.

edit: mp11477 and I had pretty much the same thought.

1 Like

Yes, that is true…but as a seller you can create demand. If you pull out of a certain market then there is 0 chance to improve your numbers there. Limit to CA only seems and bit extreme since there were a few other states where good sales could happen.

But they aren’t pulling out of the market. If a person in Idaho or Missouri or Alabama wanted a Clarity they could have the dealership order one. They are just making sure stock doesn’t sit mothballed in places where it won’t sell.

Plenty of new 2018 models scattered about the middle of the US. Not a single new 2018 model in SoCal.

Technically, sure…but when you don’t advertise it and you don’t have it on your lots so potential customers can find out about it you pretty much pulled out.

yes, but now you also have to pay to train your staff to repair those cars. Is it worth it if you sell 1-2, if you’re lucky, a month? What about the guy in Kalamazoo that hasn’t sold one in a year?

You can only drum up so much demand. I agree maybe a few other pockets of the country would benefit if they kept them there, but I suspect it’s just a logistical issue. There’s no question of the demand in CA. You can’t say that for the majority of the country though.

That’s what she said!

(sorry, couldn’t help myself)

6 Likes

Bazinga. 1010

2 Likes

That’s how you avoid the Odyssey

3 Likes