Reliability of volvo?

What you get in S90 T5 for around 56k you may get for 60k+ 530. Not talking about recent BMW deals, just following your comparison. I like 530, but S90 is a better value without compromising much. Inscription is even better.

Are we talking standard tech and features or the premium quality feel of the interior?

The whole package, without going into sportiness.
I’d take 530 over S90 at the same price. But would take S60 over 330

1 Like

Having owned/leased 3 BMWS (5 series, i3 and X6) and 2 Volvos (S80 and S60), I can agree with Ursus. I would not say that BMW is way above Volvo…

I never felt the S80 would self -destruct while driving nor did I feel the 5 series was bulletproof…

So, you did get your X6? Pics in Trophy Garage or it never happened

That I can agree with. On the more “base” level, or just less expensive models I’d take Volvo over BMW as well. I would also take my S60 over the 330e we have in the house.

Who gives better materials at the same price point? You can buy a 60K BMW and it doesn’t even come with leather. I agree it is subjective however the consensus of the automotive media is that Volvo has one of if not the best interiors in it’s class.

https://group.volvocars.com/news/people/2019/volvos-head-of-interior-design-tisha-johnson-celebrated

I’d look at any remaining 2018 GLIs and GTIs. You have six years to find out if it’s going to be long-term reliable or not.

Or maybe an Elantra Sport.

I leased through Smythe and they have been top notch so far.

This brings up a question I’ve had. If I lease a car from an out of state dealer, do I lose perks like loaner cars when I take it to my local dealer for scheduled maintenance?

I’ve gotten loaner cars from dealers other than where I leased from when I’ve taken my car in for service

2 Likes

I’ve heard different things from different dealers. I bought my 2017 Volvo from a dealer in the same state, but in a different county/area (Long Island and I live in Westchester). They knew I didn’t buy it there. I bought my 2019 Volvo from a dealer in New Jersey. Again, they knew I didn’t buy it there, partially because of license plate brackets and because the service people are friendly and I discussed the crazy offer sales gave me.

That being said, the dealer I service it at is the closest dealer. They had 4 total dealerships in that “family” and they just consolidated to 3. Some people are going to have to drive much further, since it’s now the only Volvo in the county, which I still don’t understand, but there are over 20 dealerships within a 50-mile radius. They are absorbing the business and the loaners from their other location, so it will be busier, and I know that, generally, you need to book about 2 weeks in advance to get one. When I’ve gone in for minor things like inspections, oil changes, etc., I usually do it on one of the days I work from home and they drive me back and forth (they put me into Uber two or 3 times when really busy). When they broke something on my car and it had to go in several times (steering column trim and then went on an excavation to find what was making a noise after), they put me up into loaners right away, even though I didn’t buy from them. I even got a brand new one with 10 miles on it once.

Find the right dealership, and it won’t be an issue. They’re paid by Volvo for warranty work and maintenance, so it’s not a big deal.

1 Like

I’ve leased two 5 series BMWs and 7 or 8 Lexuses (which include wife’s cars) . Currently leasing a V90cc. All Lexuses have been completely bullet-proof, not a single issue ever. The service at the dealerships was always great, interaction with Lexus Financial when returning leased cars was perfect, with waivers of charges for small dings, etc. BMWs had some problems and warranty repairs, but the dealers network is great and overall the experience was positive. However, the Volvo had a lot of problems. Had to replace brakes at 6K miles, AC stopped cooling (replaced the compressor) at 8K miles, rear hatch door was not properly closing (replaced lock at 10K miles), oil filter failed and was leaking oil after the 10K service. Also minor annoyances like Census software is slow to load when starting the car, Nav does not show traffic, etc.

That’s not promising. What year is it? I was reading the XC90 had loads of problems but other models for whatever reason were better.

2018 V90cc T5.

Oil filter leaking is not a volvo factory issue. It is a grease monkey who forgot to tighten it issue at the dealership …

2 Likes

Shows the level of training and quality control at the Volvo dealership. This never happened in 20+ years I had Lexus, BMW, Acuras and Hondas.

I had something similar happen to me once at a Honda dealer. They left the dipstick sitting on top of the engine and overfilled it with oil.

Just because it did not happen to your bmw does not mean shoddy work does not happen at bmw dealerships!

Sensus nav has real time traffic info.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/topics/maps-navigation/navigation-services/traffic-information-in-real-time-rtti-2

As for the brakes, I had to have my front rotors replaced with 750 miles on my 2019 XC90, but I have read that it is a pretty common issue across the larger Volvo vehicles.

Other than that issue, car has been great and I am really happy with my decision to go with Volvo.

1 Like