Registration of a leased car in CA | DMV Help

Hello,
I’m in need of help ASAP .
We leased a Nissan in NYC and moved with it to LA ,
We in the process of registering the car and it’s been a nightmare so far, numerous times of waits at the DMV and phone calls to Nissan and CA DMV main office in Sacramento .
The problem now is the DMV decided to ask Nissan to fill out the a form " Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form REG 262 " and no one at Nissan seems to know what is it and how to fill it up .

Any one know anything about registering a leased car from out of state in CA that can help ?

Thanks a lot ,

I registered a lease originally acquired from AZ back in Jan 2018 and do not remember needing a 262 form. Is that 262 form something new?

Perhaps you can cross verify with a different branch or a paid registration service (try AAA) to make sure the information you’re being told is correct. Not all DMV reps are knowledgeable. One tried to charge full sales tax on a leased car when that’s obviously not how it works in CA!

Here’s my post from that time detailing what I needed to register the lease from Acura…

"This is my experience in registering three cars acquired from out of state. Two were used car purchases (from PA and UT) and, the current one in progress, is a new Acura lease acquired in AZ.

The lease is the most complicated one by far mainly due to how slowly paperwork trickles in after signing the contract requiring patience and persistence. Due to the timing of paperwork arriving and the 20-day rule, multiple trips to the DMV may be required. Schedule appointments for the DMV visits is my advice.

For both purchases and leases, the fees for registration needs to be posted within 20 days of the car entering the state of CA otherwise a 10% penalty will be assessed. If you don’t have all of the paperwork needed, that’s fine. Just pay the reg fees along with items 1-3 below as items 4-6 can take time. You’ll be given a 60-day operating permit at that point. At least two trips to the DMV is needed if this is the case.

You’ll need:

1. Smog check
  2. VIN verification
  3. Form 343
  4. Permission letter and/or POA from lessor
  5. Lessor Tax ID
  6. Title from Lessor

In order to sign for the lessor on form 343, you’ll need to acquire a limited POA. Most banks are accommodating and will send out the permission letter and notarized POA within a day. You’ll also need the tax ID of lessor so that sales tax is deferred and collected with your monthly payment. Acura/Honda Financial includes the Tax ID on the POA documents. The last thing you’ll need is to have the title sent to the local DMV branch. Typically, the DMV branch will send a request letter to the lessor on your first visit. In rare instances, you can call the lessor yourself and request it be sent to the local DMV. I chose to work it from both angles.

Good luck."

Thank you so much for all your information .
I’ll try to use it when talking to a DMV representative we got all that already.
Dmv asking for this “Vehicle/vessel transfer and reassignment form” in a certain way putting us under as a buyer and Nissan nit willing to since we are just leasing .
The DMV saying they want this form as a proof of mileage(since on the NY title there is no mention of that) at the time of purchase/title transfer .

Email explaining to Nissan
So frustrating .

Thanks again for the quick response and all the information

My license plates were about to expire, but I can’t make my paperwork on the DMV office website because some of the forms are difficult.
I found this website:

They help me with the entire paperwork and fill the forms.
It Was very easy with help; they have fantastic customer service.

Slightly off topic but
Get $75 and go to AAA and get a basic membership.
After you get the membership ask them right their to put you in the front of the line for DMV.

Poof. 10 minutes later you have a DMV representative in front of you. (AAA California have DMV inside their office)

1 Like