California Vehicle License Fee and Registration on a LEASE

I’m so incredibly sorry, I know this has been asked several times and I linked everything I have read but I still can’t get a straight forward answer. I am moving to California next week, but will very likely lease OOS (where I am now) as the deal is incredible on a demo on the lot now. Already transporting my wife’s car - so will sell that car and transport this instead. I just need to know this:

-How much is the Vehicle License Fee going to be? It is a $91,000 MSRP new selling for $64,000 (as a demo). I assume the .65% is on the $64k so about $416.
-To be SURE - I will not owe any Tax? This is a lease, the DMV only has calculators for new cars and they have listed about $5,300 in taxes that will be owed - they assume this is a purchase correct? I will not owe any of this for the lease, just 8.25% of the monthly payment. If this tax is true, I will not do this deal tomorrow. I am ok with the registration fees of $750, but if this USE/Sales tax is added on, it’s a no go.
-The mileage is >10,000 so I don’t have to worry about that 50 state emission sticker anyway.

Anything else I’m missing???

Registration for CA is usually in the neigborhood of 1.25% of the current value.

Plan on roughly $1000 and be pleasantly surprised if it comes lower.

You do not need to pay tax on the whole value, but you may run into a clueless dmv employee that insists you do because they dont differentiate between a purchase and a lease. You may have to escalate to a supervisor, etc

:point_up_2: what he said.

CA doesn’t care what you paid on paper; it’s the state’s valuation/market value that the state takes into account.

And yes, you’ll only pay the tax on top of your monthly payment.

It’s nice not having to worry about non-CA emissions compliance :joy:

Welcome to California :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.