Registering and insurance in NYC

Hi all, I’m currently in the market right now for a lease and I’m located in NY. I plan on getting into something new and I had a question regarding the credit application/registration/insurance. In NY you can have a primary registrant and co-registrant and both need to be on the insurance policy. I’m in my mid 20s and I’m looking to have the vehicle credit application through myself, but also include my dad on my registration and insurance. My question is, is it possible to have the credit application through my self, have the registration under myself and my dad, and have the insurance under both of us as well? The reason for this being is that if my father is on my insurance policy as well, it reduces the insurance by more than half the premium.

Yes it is possible and he doesn’t even need to be on the registration just at the same address

Ah I see. Yeah my main goal is to keep the credit app under myself only because hes not my biggest fan to get a car at the moment. I ran a quote through statefarm and had him as the main driver, and it cut the quote by 60%.

You can add him to your insurance but unlikely you can have him as the primary driver if the car is registered to you. And I’m not so sure you can have him as a co-registrant if he’s not on the credit app.

Regardless, seems to be to be a bad idea to try to insure the car in your dads name if he’s not in favor of you getting a car. Would you just do it without telling him? Really bad idea if you got in an accident.

There’s also the matter of the misrepresentation to the insurance company.

1 Like

Everything must match. If the finance/lease is only in your name, the registration is going to only be in your name…therefore the insurance must only be in your name. Only way you could swing this is if he co-signs on your loan, otherwise it doesn’t work as he has zero financial interest in your car.

If you need insurance help, feel free to DM as I am a broker licensed in NY. One thing I would not recommend doing is trying to play the system…NY DMV ain’t no joke.

1 Like

This is incorrect. If the OP still lives in his parents household, he can list them as household member/drivers on the policy (most insurance companies will require this regardless)…but if the registration is in the OP’s name, he can’t use his father as the primary insured and use his insurance score to get a better rate. Everything must match. Loan–>Registration<---->Insurance

Did anyone say primary? In fact he is legally required to be on his fathers policy if they live at the same address.

So you’re going to apply for credit without telling him? And then register and insure it …. without telling him?

2 Likes

The OP did:

3 Likes

By him saying “main driver” and by it cutting the rate down that much…I can only assume he ran the quote with the father as the primary insured.

Also, yes–he is required to be on the fathers policy either as a household driver or excluded as long as he lives there. But my point was, if the OP is getting this vehicle with his own loan, he needs to register it and insure it in his own name…can’t just throw the father in there when he has no interest in the vehicle.

1 Like

I missed that

Well of course he will know when I go through with a credit application, nothing is going to be hidden from him. Hes just not looking to have another loan on his credit as hes trying to buy a property later this year or next so better to keep the lease loan off his name. Also just for clarification, we do live in the same address and he will be driving the car from time to time.

I believe on the online quote it specifically asked “Who will be driving the vehicle the most” and for that I listed it as my father.

Got it. So my previous statement holds true. The car will need to be registered/insured strictly to you, and if your father is going to be driving it you will just need to list him as an additional driver. Not super familiar with State Farm’s procedures, but if simply listing him as an additional driver with more usage cuts the rate that much then fantastic.

For what it’s worth, I have a friend who is SF agent in the NYC area. Would be more than happy to connect you with her if you have any specific questions. Again, New York is VERY strict when it comes to DMV/Insurance…so you will want to do everything to make sure its right otherwise you’ll get some nice fines :slight_smile:

1 Like

OP specifically said that’s not the case. He has to list his father as primary driver to cut the premium in half. It does not sound legit.

2 Likes

Primary driver and primary insured are two completely different things.

OP could have ran the quote in his own name (to satisfy registration requirements), added his father as a driver and just listed the fact that the father drives more than he does…making him a primary driver.

Running the quote in the fathers name means you are using him as the primary insured. You’re using his credit, credentials, likely homeownership etc to benefit on the rate…which is not only incorrect but illegal. That won’t fly with DMV.

Oh for sure, never want to mess with NY DMV haha. I want to make sure Im doing everything legally and that its possible to have it done this way so I dont run into any problems. Also, I went back into the state farm quote and switched the main driver to myself, rather than my father and the quote practically stayed about the same. It asked if I was recently insured, and in this case I have not, but it then asked if I lived with a relative who was insured and how long they had insurance for, and in this case I said my father and he had insurance for about 25-30 years now. So it seems like just adding him in the policy and still keeping myself as the main driver reduces the quote my significantly a lot.

You cannot use your fathers credentials unless he is a primary (1st or 2nd) NAMED INSURED. If you were listed on your parents policy, you can use that as your “prior insurance history”…but you cannot use your fathers if he is just a driver.

Under the named insured will only be myself and him. We will both be driving the vehicle and be insured.

That’s not truthful either according to OP. But you do you.

2 Likes