Registering and insurance in NYC

Per my previous statement, there is a major different in “named insured” and having your father as just an additional driver.

If your father has no interest in the vehicle, he CANNOT be a named insured. He has to be an additional driver. Only way you can have him as a named insured and essentially use some of his credentials is if he is on the loan. If you list him as a NAMED INSURED, and you register the car in ONLY your name, you are gonna run into trouble.

That makes sense. On the quote it did ask to list ‘additional drivers’ and thats where I added him in, and proceeded to either give the driver license numbers or SSN. But regardless, it still asked if I lived with a relative before and what their insurance was.

If you are dead set on State Farm, my suggestion would be to find a local agent and have them assist. I can’t speak on their behalf because I don’t work with them…but the ~10 other companies I am appointed with in NY this is how it has to be. Just don’t want to see ya run into any problems :slight_smile:

I did check a few others but state farm was the cheapest one I believe. I definitely will reach out to them to find out to get the specifics.

1 Like

So I spoke with a statefarm agent and was able to ask a lot of questions to make sure I understood the whole process. Ultimately, I can have the credit application and registration under myself, and the insurance policy would be under my name with my father listed as an additional driver. Whether or not I listed my father or I as who drives more did not really make a difference. The reason why the quote dropped a lot was because of adding him as a additional driver.