Regarding new user posts

I think we should consider having a stricter/different engagement factor to satisfy before new users are allowed to post. As this forum gets more popular during the car shortage we keep getting:

“WHAT IS MF, RV, INCENTIVES FOR PONTIAC AZTEK IN ZIP CODE 99810???”

“IS $900 A MONTH FOR TOYOTA COROLLA A GOOD PAYMENT?”

“HI IS DEAL STILL AVAILABLE?”

“HI IS THIS BMW LEASE TRANSFER FROM 2019 STILL AVAILABLE?”

I’m all for welcoming new people who wanna learn and share ideas, tips, tricks, and the deals they are being offered in this market, but having everyone be able to post for instant knowledge/gratification makes people lazy and unwilling to use these resources, in my opinion.

13 Likes

Maybe new members should have to complete leasing 101/new member guide before being able to post except in marketplace. If you dont want to put in the work get a broker. There’s a lot of “how’s this high payment. No I don’t know anything else about the deal”

5 Likes

That might kill new users.

2 Likes

What good are new users who won’t read/learn/contribute?

6 Likes

New site activity is usually 80% uninformed, putting roadblocks to them will make them go somewhere else and possibly slowly idle this site.

That’s really up to the Admins

2 Likes

I know in May of last year I made a similar suggestion of a bulleted point list required for initial / new users and the idea didn’t gain traction. The idea i had was:

- Did you get MF / RV / Incentives from Edmunds 
       - Read Leasing 101 

and so on…here it is:

Initial Reading Requirements for LH Forum - Suggestions - FORUM | LEASEHACKR

2 Likes

We did increase the read time requirement for new users over the past 2 years, as well as prominently linking the onboarding video for every new user. Let me see how else we can improve the quality of new user contribution (e.g. adding the bullet points you have on every Ask the Hackr template).

6 Likes

Have them take a quiz for the most common questions asked?

2 Likes

Passing score of 8/10 answers have to be correct :joy:

2 Likes

My favorites are the ones that go something like this:

“Is $800 a month with $10k down a good lease for a Corolla?”
“No it is awful”
(many helpful posts and tips follow)
“But my wife really likes this car”
(more helpful info)
“But my wife is set on this car. We actually signed for it right before I made the original post”

15 Likes

You forgot to include the angry responses about “why won’t anyone help” and “you’re just jealous and probably can’t afford a corolla”.

9 Likes

Plus…
“Why are people being so mean?”
“Why didn’t anyone mention that earlier in this thread?”

2 Likes

“Can someone just tell me what I should pay?”

4 Likes

The #1 request.

‘New To Leasing’

2 Likes

Loyalty credits (if any)

I’m guilty of that, my Kia in Sep had Loyalty, and in Nov it didn’t.

Yes, but do you follow it up with “(if any)” when you copy/paste from your favorite youtuber?

1 Like

“My wife really wants it and she’s comfortable with the payment thanks to being able to write it off for her LuLaRoe Business, but thanks anyway”

5 Likes

My suggestion, add some kind of Captcha on registration.

Slow down the bots and not really do anything to a real person.

2 Likes