Recommendation of a Portable EV Charger

Hi All,

I am looking for a recommendation for a good and reliable Portable EV Charger that I can place in my car as a backup for any emergencies. As you probably experienced, there have been numerous times you stopped at charging stations to see a line, all taken or even broken. So it would be a good idea to have one in the trunk. Thanks in advance…

The best is a Tesla one.
The cheapest ($200) will probably explode your car.
Look for something used but branded on ebay, (Such as a Nissan or Kia charger)

Please be aware those L1 portable chargers is like 2.5 → 5.0 miles per hour of charge.

1 Like

As Forbs mentioned above, the only way to justify portable ev charger is you are renting airbnb or stay with friends/families and use their electricity to charge overnight. If you’re lucky, they’ll have the nema 14/50 or 6/50 outlet so you can get level 2 charging, otherwise with level 1 - it will take forever to charge. You’re better off finding the nearest level 2 charger in the area.

I’m picturing @z0lt3c with a giant bin full of the chargers that BMW and Tesla throw in the trunks of their vehicles.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/mobile-connector

are you referring to this one?

Yeah that’s the one that used to come with every Tesla, but they stopped giving them for free a few years ago. If you get that one, you’ll still need to get a NACS to J1772 adaptor so you can plug that into a non Tesla EV.

1 Like

Actually this, the JESLA, but a Tesla one is $250 and the adaptor can’t be that much.

Lol did they take the $250 Tesla one and splice in a J1772 end? Then charge $600?

yup, this was big in the old days, but I guess with cheap NACS > J1772 they probably aren’t wanted now.

Yeah, even the mega-expensive TeslaTap ones would still be cheaper than a Jesla Jr thing haha.

I just got a Lectron one from Amazon and it’s been fine. If this is just an emergency charging kit for the trunk that will be 20-Amps max, the cheap knock-off ones would be sufficient too.

Youtube channel State of Charge highly rated the A2Z 80A Tesla(nacs) to J1772 adapter. It is reasonable at $110.

That plus Tesla mobile connector for $250 is best bang for buck.

You can level 1 at home or away. Also level 2 charge at home with nema 14-50 plug. The adapter can also be used at Tesla destination chargers.

Thank you…

I was also recommended this as I am looking into one for a Lucid:

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Portable-Charging-Outdoors-Certified/dp/B0B4PGMHK9?th=1

Eeehhhhh just stick with the mega-reliable-and-time-tested Tesla one.

For real, I don’t even like Tesla. But I recognize their charging equipment is top notch and it’s not worth your time to muck around with unproven brands.

Edit: if you really don’t like Tesla… here’s the BMW one that should work with your Lucid in a pinch. $315 so it’ll be cheaper than the Tesla Mobile Connector + Adaptor. But only 16 amps since it will only work in a standard 110v 3 prong outlet.

BMW EV Charger i3 i5 i8 330e 530e 740e X540e Turbocord Dual Voltage 120 240V OEM | eBay?

108 ratings? That’s fake.

Buy this

1 Like

Lol but that’s only 12 amps and has no case! BMW > Polestar.

1 Like

And this is portable? So I can charge it at home and use it on the road?

Actually, why didn’t your lucid come with this? I thought it was standard equipment?

1 Like

It is not portable…what I mean is like an external battery backup that I can use when on the side of the road or in a pinch…not one that I need to attach to an outlet or charging station.

That BMW one is ultra slow (it was intended for the small janky BEVs or their PHEVs). I wouldn’t trust that BMW one I linked to be useful at home. It’s purely a way for you to get energy in a pinch (over many hours of charging while you’re parked at an AirBnB.

The Tesla mobile one goes up to 32A and IIRC a bunch of Tesla Owners on the forums routinely used it at home and on the go. But to get the most power, it’ll need a NEMA socket.

I put this mobile one in my MIL’s house to charge her BMW i4. Even though the i4 comes with a mobile charger (which is a disaster) I literally had an easier time putting in the Tesla Mobile connector with a NACS to J1772 adaptor than mess with that mobile connector that came with the BMW i4.

When it comes to charging equipment, Tesla really know what they’re doing.

But still, I thought Lucid’s shipped with a mobile connector? Not sure why you didn’t get one?

Just buy new.

Tesla mobile connector - $250
A2Z 80 Tesla to J1772 - $111

This will cover any charging situation. Plus you can use Tesla destination chargers with the adapter(which are usually free).

1 Like