Read This Before You Lease That BMW

A Study was undertaken to document what many of us already know…

“The answers were unambiguous: self-centered men who are argumentative, stubborn, disagreeable and unempathetic are much more likely to own a high-status car such as an Audi, BMW or Mercedes,

The researchers found that the aforementioned personality traits — plus money, obvi — explained why drivers of expensive cars were more likely to drive like a-holes. “But we also found that those whose personality was deemed more disagreeable were more drawn to high-status cars,” Lönnqvist said. “These are people who often see themselves as superior and are keen to display this to others.””

https://autos.yahoo.com/men-jerks-break-traffic-laws-143600089.html

1 Like

TLDR some people are ass holes. Some of those people drive nice cars.

Wow they asked 1,892 Swedish people about it. Must be the final word. You can find a study that says anything.

It also says:

“Researchers found that conscientious consumers, defined as being respectable, ambitious, reliable and well-organized, were also drawn to high-status automobiles. That’s likely because such people attach importance to high quality and sending a message to others that they themselves are reliable.”

So they contradict themselves in their own study.

6 Likes

I am thinking about leasing a 2020 Audi A4. I do not consider that a high status car. I also do not drive like an a-hole.

1 Like

But are you disagreeable ? That was the other trait mentioned for people who drove such cars.

Or do you see yourself as superior and have a need to display such to others ?

Ok now I know you are fucking with us. I thought you were serious!

High Status Car Buyers please self-categorize yourself

• A-Hole
  • Disagreeable
  • Feel Superior to Others
  • Other

0 voters

Since you disagree and are argumentative i must ask…what do you drive? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Uhhhh. Where’s “All The Above”?

3 Likes

But not all who drive high-end cars get painted by the same brush. Researchers found that conscientious consumers, defined as being respectable, ambitious, reliable and well-organized, were also drawn to high-status automobiles. That’s likely because such people attach importance to high quality and sending a message to others that they themselves are reliable.

^^^^ That’s me, I drive a Volvo and not some “fast German car” :smile:

2 Likes

Study seems generally reasonable but completely inapplicable to USA. In Finland, luxury car drivers overwhelming male. I’m USA I’d guess that isn’t the case since we love full size pick ups, a concept that very few Finnish folk embrace. Full size pick up buyers skew very male. Especially with the rise of SUVs, I’d guess luxury sedan drivers are amongst the best drivers since they are going to be older, richer and more female than the population at large.

guess i’m guilty!

I can’t be an ass hole I drive a Volvo.

3 Likes

Lol, this is exactly what my neighbor asked me when I switched from Mazda to BMW: “did you start driving like a-hole already or is there a break-in period”. I haven’t noticed changes in my driving habits yet, but hey, there is still 15 months to go.

1 Like

It says “I am an asshole who values my safety over all other assholes”.

4 Likes

I had a coworker ride with me to work one day. The moment I used my blinker to change lanes he exclaimed “I didn’t know BMW drivers could do that!” It’s all stereotypes, but they need to have some truth to it for it to exist right? Lately it -feels- like the a-hole crowd has been migrating to Audi but that could be my imagination as well.

This reminds me of a joke: What’s the difference between a porcupine and a BMW? With the porcupine, the pricks are on the outside! Thanks everybody you’ve been a great audience try the nachos and tip your waitstaff.

4 Likes

As long as we’re in the Off Ramp: and what’s the difference between a Hoover and a Harley? The Hoover’s dirtbag is on the inside. Wakka wakka don’t forget to try the salisbury steak

2 Likes

Better yet do yourself a favor and don’t.

I can’t find free access to the full text of the paper that’s referenced (but you can get access here starting at $7 for 48 hours).

If they looked at cars by brand, they probably didn’t filter out the lower-end models, which means they didn’t only examine people who drive “high status cars.”

They examined people who drive high status cars and the posers who pretend they do.

By volume there will be a lot more people in the latter category.