R/askcarsales threads 💎

What’s the catch here? Pardon my ignorance in sales but I assume this is probably on the top end of the pyramid and you’d to be quite skilled and have a lot of variables go your way? If money were this good, you’d here about it in general knowledge when people were talking about jobs. Most people assume lawyers, doctors, businessman and so forth make lots, but it’s so situational but I’m just talking in generalities.

1 Like

Its sales. You’ve heard about the upside in sales before I’m sure. The industry and structure nunaces don’t really matter.

Hard to take these things at face value. Especially someone whose online persona is so full of bluster.

1 Like

The average salesperson can barely crack $50k/yr and probably burns out in 4-8 months. Anyone who makes it past that is most likely making $75k-$90k/yr. Anything over $100k is top of the pyramid and anything over $200k is top 0.1% IMO. That is during a typical market. This market has inflated a lot of incomes since most sales people are paid on average 25% (I have seen anywhere from 10% to 40%, and if I was paid 25%, I would be driving around in a new Ferrari) of gross. Example: A Hyundai salesperson who was selling 20 cars before at all minis ($200) made $4000 and lets say another $2500 as unit bonuses. Decent income at $6500/mo. Now, they are selling at $5k over at 10 cars, so $12500/mo. You can see how a talented individual who managed to stay at 20 cars can make $20k/mo easily over the past 2 years.

The catch is that to get there, you work 60-70+ hours a week (apart from the few vets who have a large book of business) with bad/no benefits. Plus you have to have a good pay plan and a good dealer, which is extremely hard and those spots are competitive within the industry. Really, it is a field with a lot of low earners with high turnover and a small, veteran group of high earners.

There has been a lot of chest pounding the past 2 years, but that is typical. Everyone on the internet sells 30 cars a month, holds $10k on the trade, and sells every FI product. All I know is that all the domestic/mass-market brand salespeople have been quieter than usual lately.

6 Likes

No way???

How tf are they flexing all the new cars they got then with the ridiculous payments?

Above, also no one said salespeople make sound financial decisions.

See exhibit A: GT4 - Talk Me Into This Terrible Decision

2 Likes

The same way someone in any other industry making the same does. Convince yourself to spend way too much of your income on it.

1 Like

Don’t return the call brother lol

1 Like

This does not seem worth it

2 Likes

It really depends on the situation. Working 40 hours at a “country club” dealer is different than busting your ass 70 hours at another dealer. Some of the big shots have sales assistants that do most of their work and they just close deals. But again, that is why it isn’t a job that is sought after even though the return could be huge (the top guy in the country makes just shy of a million per year) because that promised land is so difficult and requires a lot of talent and a bit of luck. Most don’t even make it to a year.

1 Like

This is the issue. The ceiling isn’t that insane.

I sold cars for a few summers at my family’s stores. Absolutely grueling work. I did quite well (to the point where my dad had to make clear to the dealer principal, aka my uncle, that me doing this for my real career is not an option and to make sure I didn’t think it was), but holy crap was the work hard. Fun, interesting, but hard.

2 Likes

It’s almost satirical how out-of-touch you are. Your posts sound like Marie Antoinette trying to enlighten the masses on better career choices.

5 Likes

A good salesman making $125k/yr puts them in the top 85% of all earners. Someone clearing $750k puts them well into the top 99% of all earners. Car sales might have a low ceiling compared to a hedge fund manager or a top doctor/lawyer, but it is extremely high for the average person who might not even have a BA/BS degree.

9 Likes

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/askcarsales/comments/13k9n0m/2023_grand_cherokee_l_lease_offer/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=2&utm_term=1

Someone help this person lol I’m banned.

4 Likes

Thank him for his sacrifice

3 Likes

Lmao how large is the Venn diagram of leasehackr posters and people banned from there? There’s gotta be plenty of us

4 Likes

“Sir log off of reddit and go to LeaseHackr. People are signing this same car for 550-575 a month with only first month payment due at signing. Your deal is blasphemy.”

Someone needs to own it.

10 Likes

Man I miss those days. Great days!

1 Like

After digging further, the Reddit OP exposed this scam. Good job, Reddit OP!

8 Likes