Questions re 2023 Custom Order in Competitive Market

I have some general questions re optimizing (if not “hacking”) a custom order for a MY23 vehicle in a competitive market. For example, a 2023 plug-in-hybrid in SoCal. Some great discussion in the X5 45e thread BMW X5 45e Plug-In Hybrid deals

I’m actually more interested in the 2023 XC90 Recharge, but hopefully my questions are of general interest and apply to any relatively in-demand new vehicle in a competitive market (like PHEVs in SoCal).

1 - Is it advisable or ethical to place custom orders with several local dealers, assuming they have non-refundable deposits. And then go with the one that gets the vehicle first. Any downsides to this approach. Obviously, one shouldn’t go crazy, and I would think two (or maybe three) orders would be max.

2 - Relatedly, esp. if only one order is placed, and pricing is the same, how does one select and evaluate the dealer with best timing? Can ask about expected timeline and delivery, but can we believe it. Does it depend on volume of allocations and waitlist size.

3 - Seems that pricing should be capped at MSRP minus any rebates/incentives. Maybe a little more discount depending on the vehicle or market (e.g., no discount for PHEV in SoCal). But for custom orders, I assume that you can demand to exclude all dealer / port installed accessories. This seems significant because most luxury cars in stock on lots have $3-5k of expensive and unnecessary add-on accessories.

4 - Is it possible or reasonable to do a custom order at MSRP now and then try to negotiate a discount when the car arrives depending on market conditions. This seems fine since the dealer can say a quick no and sell it to someone else at MSRP or higher (if the market is still there).

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2022 Volvo XC90 Recharge Extended Range - How Much Under MSRP?