Question regarding a terrible lease situation

insurance fraud is not a good idea. Jail, fines and a ruined life.

2 Likes

I did say it was the worst advice I had.

Surprised nobody mentioned yet: have you looked into getting the car bought out by carvana/vroom? As others said, we don’t know your settlement, but if it is equal to or more than the negative equity, if any, to get out of it now, then there is your out.

2 Likes

Without knowing the settlement amount it’s hard to give sound advice.

It’s worth a shot, but highly unlikely with a GM.

They look at carfax and it will have 500 service records, so probably vroom/carvana will realize the car is a lemon.

Thanks for all the responses so far. The question regarding the settlement was a “goodwill compensation” due to our lack of satisfaction and the outcome was 40% of the lease cost. The lawyer took his cut which was 25% and now basically doesn’t want anything to do with us or the case in general. That is great and all, But I still don’t have a 100% working car and I am still paying for it.

1 Like

Was he a lemon law attorney or just a general attorney? I’m guessing not the former.

Yes he was a lemon law attorney.

Weird. I’ve never seen a lemon settlement have the attorney’s fees come out of the award. Always seen it handled separate as a payment from the manufacturer.

5 Likes

Thats so strange, a lemon attorney usually helps you get rid of the car, ofcourse has to be a lemon which in ur case sounds like more than a lemon vehicle.

1 Like

That doesnt make sense. I dont think the lemon attorney has an option of taking his cut. They are paid for their services by the manufacturer if they succeed.

1 Like

Well, if it’s a settlement rather than an actual lemon lawsuit there may be some flexibility… Could also vary by state. I do find it suspect that payment was done that way here and the attorney has gone incommunicado though.

1 Like

Are you still trying to take it to the original dealer you had issues with? If so, can you take it somewhere else?

My first CA case they made a total offer, broken down by my portion and the attorney fees. The settlement was drawn up between attorneys, manufacturer paid them the total, and I was paid from an escrow account. Split was in the settlement agreement (transparent to both sides). We signed, they came for the car within a month to drive as much as I wanted. I was paid within 48 hours of pickup.

My contingency was structured differently.

OP I’m sorry they are both rid of you, but I’m not at-all surprised. They will honor warranty and perform all repairs, but you are stuck in that POS, or some fart loaner with a wobble-wheel.

Consider using some of the settlement to pay on negative equity to trade/sell TF out of it. You unfortunately got a bad one. :man_shrugging:t2:

If you would consider another GM product, I’d work the best deal then plead to the GSM where you bought this POS to dig deep.

But I would eject from this ASAP (and it that is the last day of your lease, you can survive), and I’d get anything but a GM and forget about this.

If you had had had to trade-out, an MDX or Pilot might have the stomach for the Terrain’s upside-down. Maybe.

It sucks I’m sorry. Good luck.

1 Like

I have taken it to other dealerships. But they say they don’t want to deal with it and when my lawyer talked to GM they said it had to go through them to get damages fixed etc…

OP you’re between a rock and a hard place. As soon as I read you had already used a lawyer and received a goodwill compensation settlement, I knew you were screwed out of what really should have happened.

You found a terrible lawyer and got unlucky there, as well.

I would just try my best to dig out of it by selling it to Carvana/Vroom and get something else that’s not GM.

Sometimes, bad luck just happens. GM and the dealer not willing to make it right should speak volumes to you as to how they really treat their customers.

2 Likes

So you still have a valid warranty but neither GM or dealers are willing to do anything about it? Are they denying claims or is the dealer just refusing work? Can you take it to an independent guy for warranty work?

If the warranty is still valid, yet no one is doing anything to attempt to fix these issues under warranty there has to be something you can do. Did the settlement say they still have to provide warranty service? Have you tried speaking to a different lawyer?

He released GM from any future claims (and I guess responsibility, as a result), so no other lawyer can really force GM to do anything.

This is a good example not to go for the quick buck. Got like 30% the lease cost while still having an unsafe and unusable car.