Question for dealers

Some of you work out deals for clients, that when they fall through, you post here for the rest of us. Thank you for doing that!

I just had a dealer who got really PISSED at me when I told them I know of someone who would take the deal that I can’t take.

Why would they would forgo a deal they were ready to make? Sure, the hope is someone else will pick it up at a higher price. Seems wasteful, given how much time she said she put in with me. I was like, that’s the point, I’m trying to help you! But no.

What’s the logic behind this?

Possible irritation that they put in the work and now they have to rehash a deal, unless it’s a 100% done deal no one wants to sell the same car twice.

In my personal experience when I get a “Sorry, can’t take the car, but my buddy” deal rarely ever works out.

7 Likes

Deal was still in negotiation phase. No paperwork drawn up. Wouldn’t have to redo anything… literally swapping one human for another human. If she didn’t like the new human, say no, but a hard no just seems wasteful ESPECIALLY if they put in all that work. That’s what doesn’t add up.

Doesn’t make sense unless there’s something different or they got cornered into a deal they’d rather not do.

It wouldn’t bother me personally if its legit. Though I get a lot of people that say their friend will do it and then never hear back.

If their friend would do it, their friend would have done it.

1 Like

It’s their “nice” way to say “I don’t want this deal and want to get out of here as soon as possible” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not a dealer, but I am in sales.

Have you ever noticed that terms at the ending point of your negotiation are usually different than the terms at the starting point? Nobody wants to start a new negotiation with the ending terms from a different negotiation. And no matter what you say, a new person is a new negotiation.

Basically yeah. The “friend” is usually fictional.

2 Likes

Is this a sustainable business model in an increasingly transparent market? This very website aims to dispel the veil of negotiation you reference. Aren’t you afraid some pimple faced silicon valley kid will team up with a Mark Cuban and disrupt this industry to eliminate the intermediary profit margin? Yes, I do remember the hard time Tesla had setting up direct to market sales… but… even Rome fell.

I’m in enterprise software sales. I sell the software pimple-faced silicon valley kids write. :slight_smile:

As for cars, I’m sure most manufacturers would love to move to an Apple model where the product is rarely discounted and their retail outlets are for learning more about the product not negotiating prices. The whole dealer franchising model, which is enshrined in many states’ laws, needs to change to enable that, though. Otherwise there will always be a dealer willing to undercut the dealer down the road to get a deal done today.

I mean that you still have not settled on a price, so now the sales person needs to do every step again. If there price is not settled, no real paperwork is drawn, no real commitment is made then it’s not a “deal they were ready to make” it’s like working on a fresh up customer.

Rule number 1 in the car business is “buyers are liars.”

I typically never works out when a customer says I know someone that will take the deal or I have a cousin that will buy one if you give me a good enough deal…

Not saying everyone lies when buying a car but there’s a lot of BS salespeople have to weed out with majority of deals worked.

1 Like

It just tells you that salesman is new to the business or maybe car sales is not the right fit for her.

You have to have a lot of patience and not take things personally in this business.

I always try to think of this way, I get paid not only for the cars I sell but for the service I provide to those that do not end buying from me as well.

2 Likes

And there are still possible referrals, I’d think. So you never know if you may get a referral from someone who doesn’t buy from you. I’ve sent some referrals (including from LH) a few times to dealers I did not buy from.

How irritating to do the job that you are paid for!! I agree :slight_smile:

Rule number 2 - the salesman is an even bigger liar, only outdone by his manager and the finance manager …

1 Like

Maybe she has so many other customers knocking on her door and/or she’s judging from her own experience in car sales that she decided it was not worth it to even take a look.

I work as a creative professional in Hollywood and regularly have to spend weeks to months crafting a pitch for a feature or tv series that does not sell. It’s high risk, high reward. However, I have come to realize that every work day, meeting, pitch, lunch date, drink or chance run is a deposit into my business, whether or not it results in a sale! I can’t tell you how many times a something comes from someone you never expect. Law of reciprocity.

1 Like

I was simply stating what sales training says… I would agree with you when you say most people in sales are huge liars… I typically try not to associate with people I work with outside of work as I do not function like the rest of them.

It’s irritating to do any job 2 times and get paid once whatever the job may be

2 Likes