Prediction that other EV manufacturers will react to Tesla price cuts

I disagree, the one’s that complained the loudest aren’t the ones with a lot of kids spending a lot of money with them. If they would have done nothing they would be in much better shape. You want to talk about something that is going to be talked about in business schools forever? How about Disney loosing the unbelievable sweetheart of a deal they had essentially governing themselves. The amount of money that is going to cost them is almost incalculable.

1 Like

The $2Bil in debt that Reddy Creek Improvement District is offloading to Orange and Osceola Counties?

Definite lost opportunity cost of future expansion, when you can’t rubber stamp your own plans. But who wanted a 5th gate anyway?

3 Likes

Tesla being a “luxury” brand should provide loaners like BMW, Mercedes and Audi do. Not Uber. The checking in and out is pretty straight forward at our BMW dealer, especially if it all covered by free maintenance and or warranty. Last oil service, I enjoyed driving a brand new X3 M40i (Carbon black and red leather), previous 4 series convertible was great too.

2 Likes

I believe if they have your vehicle for longer than 48 hours they try to get a loaner.

Not sure if level of service is different for S/X vs 3/Y.

It’s no different.

In most places in Florida, you can buy an EV6 and Ioniq 5 at MSRP off the lot… except two trims. Ioniq 5 Limited (which is super rare and any available have markup) and the EV6 GT (each dealer is allocated a few for the entire 2023 model year run). I don’t see markups lowering for those until the end of 2023.

Hyundai barely makes any Limiteds. The margins are too low I think and they’ve cranked out tons of the lower SE trims even though the demand for those is basically zero now.

EV demand has cratered in the past 2 months. It’s crazy to see all these Mach-Es and EV6s stack up on lots. BMW i4s are even being discounted too. I have dealers pinging me out of the blue now.

We tested an i4 and liked the tech and driving dynamics. The backseat was able to (barely) accommodate our UB Vista child seat, didn’t bring the Graco to test that at the dealer.

But man that kidney grill. If it looked like a 330 or 530 I think we might have gotten one already. It looks great from 3 sides.

1 Like

Disney isn’t losing money. The Reedy Creek debt is thrust upon the neighboring counties and might bankrupt them.

What Disney is losing is complete control of Reddy Creek zoning/development. Disney has their poop together. Florida government does not. My friend works on the i-4 Ultimate highway currently and also worked building roads for Disney the previous 5 years. The i4 project sounds like a corrupt disorganized mess. It ran out of money and had to be stopped at Sand Lake. Contractors are suing contractors. There are major electrical issues that cause the toll to stop working when it rains heavily. Nothing seem to be built correctly and the Disney projects were the complete opposite.

Back to EVs… I have zero faith Florida government will do anything useful with the NEVI charging fund to help support EVs. The botched 20 stall hub in Orlando is years late and still half constructed (they started late summer and it’s just a pile of dirt and some transformers). Tesla has built 6 new Supercharger locations in Orlando in 2022 alone. 2 more are coming online soon. Relying on NEVI or the Florida government to build CCS chargers… yeah… good luck. That’s why I tell people to stick with ICE cars to road/weekend trip and use EVs to commute with only.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been targeting the trims that are the rarest ones, due to feature set preferences. Ioniq 5 Limited (first choice) and GV60 Advanced. But if we start to see discounts below MSRP on I5 SEL, GV60 Performance, or EV6 GT-Line, here in California, I might have to consider.

Thankfully, this is a 3rd car for our family. However, one of our existing cars is a 2 seater FCA product so the clock is ticking…

1 Like

Rear seat space is the major issue with the i4. Otherwise it’s a better Model 3 and/or better Polestar 2 IMO - mainly because of the rear air suspension and noticeably quieter cabin.

1 Like

A lit more on the topic, nothing of major substance in here though:

And the price. M50 vs P3

P3D may gap initially but it won’t hang up top with the M50.

Just saying.

Tesla with the exception of the plaid line up are all down low power which is great for 0-60 times but largely flat on their face past about 85.

1 Like

Sure but who really cares about that in this context. No one is buying an EV to take on the track. I’d rather it crush it at normal speeds than come alive at 100

1 Like

That’s like saying no one is buying a truck to go offroad. There are a few people who would hence why it’s in limited supply.

1 Like

Tesla just released earnings. They had some cash flow issues, but revenue, liquidity, profit margins ($15k gross/veh), and deliveries were all above expectations. They had room to slash prices, undercut competitors and hopefully drive some cash flow as a result.

3 Likes

Teslas cars are so low quality that they have the fattest margins in the segment.

An alternative perspective is that bringing so much of the manufacturing in house has cost benefits that other manufacturers have not seen reason to do so themselves… maybe we’ll see other brands follow in its foot steps.

1 Like

So great the stock is down since after the data was released. When all you’ve got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Sandy Munro certainly agrees with this.

Stock closed in the green with the Nasdaq in the red.

Tesla stock up 33.61% since Jan 1st (4-5x the returns of legacy automakers).