Prediction that other EV manufacturers will react to Tesla price cuts

Yep, was not easy but it can be (and was) done.

More proof the insanity is abating.

Just stopped by a Hyundai dealership after a test drive of Model Y. The Ioniq 5 drives great and looks great on the inside, doesn’t have much trunk space as Model Y. The dealer asked me for $7K over selling price with a total of $70K.

This is in IL

Bless this mess!

1 Like

Hahahah

Are people really paying 70k for Ioniq 5s?!

…Esp know Tesla are so easily sourced and cheaper

2 Likes

Maybe this guy would.
Jack Nicholson Thank You GIF

I rented a Model Y LRDM from Hertz and drove it back to back with an Ioniq from the dealer. I vastly prefer the Ioniq 5 and am just biding my time until the Limited ADM goes to 0.

1 Like

@HugoTownship Would you kindly share some of the things you liked better?

1 Like

If IRA doesn’t get fixed to accommodate it, it’s possible it will.

Yes, Just like Disney has been doing for the last couple of years.

2 Likes

Netflix lost me when they pulled King of the Hill.

1 Like

I Dont Know You King Of The Hill GIF

4 Likes

Exactly, It looks like a great car, no way on planet earth is it a $70k car!

2 Likes

The difference is Disney had to make a choice, they were going to lose customers one way or another. Inaction would have cost them as well. Elon just had to stay quiet and would have expanded his customer base beyond the typical urban/suburban dwelling liberal.

4 Likes

Im constantly shocked by what is now a $70k vehicle.

2 Likes

Imagine my surprise home shopping and finding out what passes for a $400,000 house (In Texas no less!)

:eyes:

8% inflation my ass.

I work in commercial real estate and how the shelter component of cpi is calculated is just plain stupid.

2 Likes

Ioniq 5
-Exterior design
-Seats more comfortable
-Interior build quality more inspiring
-Front seat interior feels more expansive without reading as a giant car from the exterior
-Back seat more roomy for adult pax / rear facing child seat
-Drove more comfortably, less jerky
-Rolled more smoothly when in comparable “coast” modes, simulating ICE experience
-More convenient physical controls (e.g. climate, audio, paddles for coast mode)
-Actual dashboard
-Blind spot cameras easier to see while merging (in dashboard vs centrally in tablet)
-Heads up display
-CarPlay (sadly, wired)
-Door handles automatically open
-No weird political baggage

Tesla
-No ADM / cheaper
-Less dealer hassle
-Raw speed in a straight line
-Seems like more trunk storage? didn’t get to test with stroller + other random shit
-Might have better app integration? I didn’t get to test this
-Might be easier to use credit-card sized key in wallet? Hertz put a plastic thing over the Tesla card so I didn’t get to test this

Toss-up
-I thought Autopilot sucked but I was told by my friend the day after that I was supposed to push down on the gear stalk twice in order to get to actual Autopilot. Ooops.
-In road trips > 250 miles we’d either rent a minivan or just use our gas car so I’m not concerned about DC fast charge vs Tesla supercharger network

4 Likes

i4 is a good alternative to both and if you shop right you can get a discount rather than pay ADM.

2 Likes

Anyone on this thread pointed out the fact that Tesla’s gross profit is (within a few hundred dollars) equal to the price of the FSD option. Worth mentioning there’s a criminal probe, too on that sham. Since 2014 Elon has repeatedly stated that we’re one year away from FSD.

Would also expect Tesla’s gross margins to be disproportionally impacted by a reset in the auto industry bc w Legacy OEMs, dealerships, not OEMs, were capturing a lot of the additional margin (other than removing some incentives).

Original OPs post is too simplistic and lacks a lot of nuances that led to the price cuts.

Tesla’s technological & AV tech edge has been enormously shrunk over the past two years, and you could make the argument there are not only better alternatives, but also are a better value proposition too. I’d argue his biggest advantage right now is the charging infrastructure he’s developed.

I think you underestimate how long (and how much) it takes to build a semiconductor fabrication plant.

Jokes on them for spending $60k+ (then) on a Model3 with the interior fit and finish of a $20k Corolla, and the build quality of an 80s/90s Hyundai

I would imagine a lot of this has already been pointed out - but my two cents.

9 Likes

One thing this volume proposition may not bode well for is service.

Back when I got my Y 2 years ago, there was already complaints about service but I had one service appointment and it was very easy… got an Uber code to get home and go back once it was done. Took a day but no waiting in line for a service rep, no worrying about the dealer shuttle to get home… and no see the rep then see the cashier to check out.

Now with so many on the road… and many more coming… I wonder how good service will be. Just discovered a crack on my windshield (doesn’t look like any external damage). Wondering how Telsa is going to handle this. They built another service center closer to me but that one is booked until February… soonest I could book was Friday. Read that they may not cover it and 3rd parties like Safelite don’t do Teslas, but need to take it in to find out. Seems expensive because of the camera unit behind the rearview mirror… we will see.

2 Likes