Positive equity and replacement options in the current market

No doubt you should sell it now. Positive equity with a dirty carfax? Grab that check and run.

3 Likes

Agree with others, definitely take the equity check option. If you need another car immediately, leasing another 2022 might work out as well given the 6k equity you get, financial wise.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. There seems to be a consensus that selling now is the best option. I’m going to the dealership to sell the car this morning, but I wanted some reassurance that I wasn’t doing something stupid.

Given the current lease market condition, I was actually considering financing my next car instead of leasing. Are any companies out there offering 0% over 60 months other than Ford?

I think Nissan is…for certain models…0% even for 72 months

Subaru has some special financing. Website has both 0 and 1.9 but don’t specify length. I got 1.9 for 72 mos on my WRX last month. Honda has 0.9/1.9/2.9 for 48/60/72.

1 Like

Get an estimate online for your car:

Depreciation is going to be a way larger expense than finance charges. Don’t tie yourself to a rapidly sinking anchor like a Ford Explorer just for the attraction of 0% APR.

Don’t lose the forest through the trees.

1 Like

Yep. But only on the Leaf I think.

Dodge and Chrysler has 0%/72 on some of their models too.

FinanceHackr. :slight_smile:

If it were me, I would take the equity and set it aside (not a down payment) to apply to a new lease on a ‘22 CX-9, since you like the car. Your payment will likely be similar or lower to what you’re paying now considering the equity applied and you’ll have loyalty. Then in 3 years the market may have normalized. I wouldn’t finance a Ford/Stellantis product in this class, it’ll be a major step down in quality and driving dynamics coming from the CX-9.

3 Likes

No equity on my 2018 340i msport $56msrp and 35k buyout only 23k miles

Not sure what to do as there are no good leases in a similar class (not even 330i good lease despite loyalty and year of the tiger OL rebate)

Anything similar to a 330i that retains its value well or should I just buy out the 340i and enjoy it for 1-2 years more?

Looked at G70 but they are over Msrp in so cal… insane

I’m about 28 Months into a deal I kind of fell into thanks to the help of this awesome community Back in October of 2019. I got an Ioniq Electric for $150 a month $0 DAS. I’ve enjoyed the car alright but there has been a nagging 12V battery issue with this car that makes me want to not own it at the end of the lease. I was offered $17,523 from the local dealer and it has a $14,819 buyback. Being roughly $3K that would effectively make the lease cost me only $42 a month for the 28 months I’ve owned it… I’d need to get into something else right away, and although it is the exact opposite of the Hyundai in terms of economy the Nissan Frontier deal looks tempting.

I guess I’m just asking for an evaluation if it is smart to take the money and run on this econobox to further lower the TOC while the offer is there.

I have one too but my calculation says I’ll do much better at the end of 36 months because carvana offered upwards of $20k to me. I realise that might be complicated depending what state you are in but that’s my play.

Cash out all your equity and finance two brand new vehicles.

Ugh yeah, maybe i should make the play for Carvana too. The payoff is higher because I’d have to include sales tax since HMF won’t sell directly to carvana. They are offering $20419 with a payoff quoted at $15877. That’s almost twice as much so if I’m gonna do this I guess i ought to go all out. Just gonna be a PITA cause i have to buy and sell with my own funds.

See if Hyundai dealer will raise their offer now that you have a better offer to leverage.

Hi everyone, I wanted to get your feedback on what to do. I’m currently leasing a 2018 Acura TLX V6 with Tech package, it was originally a 36/7.5k lease and I requested a one year extension last year, it’s ending in May. With pandemic and everything, I ended up driving the car rarely, it has only 6.2k miles. I’m in SoCal. Assuming that I will continue to make low miles in the near future, which one would you think makes more sense financially:

(i) Pay the buyout (around $18k) and purchase the car

(ii) Accept the following 36/7.5k lease offer for a 2022 TLX A-Spec: $450 per month with $1k down payment (there is $1k rebate, they are giving me around $9.4k equity for my current car, CarMax’s offer is $28.5k)

(iii) Get a loan and purchase a 2022 TLX A-Spec (not sure if this is a good idea at all, would I get equity for my current car in this case?)

I’d appreciate any feedback you might have, thanks!

I leased a Lexus NX 300 in Aug 2021.
So far I have spent 5600 on the car. (7 monthly payment of 480, and 1700 to ship the car from dealer to my house, 500 broker fee)

I have driven it for 3300 miles. No accident.
Carmax is now offer me 46000 USD to sell the car to them. My payoff shown on Lexus financial website is 37400.

Does that mean I can net 46000-37400 = 8600 if I sell to carmax? Is there any additional fee charged by Lexus that is not explicitly stated?

Does it also mean I drove 3000 miles and earn 3000 dollars? That seems hard to turn down to me. Given the car Msrp is only 45500.

Question is what to get next? I am thinking of get an Camry or accord at MSRP, and keep that until the market is back to show rationale. Any better ideas?

Economically, the first option makes the most sense. Have you considered other makes/models? You could sell the car and use the equity for a single pay lease. I’m doing something similar and getting the Wrangler 4xe. Saving about $2500 over 3 years by doing the single pay.

1 Like

It never makes sense to lease when you drive so little. A lease is paying for miles ahead of time. If you don’t use the miles you have paid for, you’re wasting your money.

1 Like

If that truly is your payoff, it should include tax, which Carmax would not have to pay, in which case you’d clear even more money.
Payoff seems low, though. Did you get a huge discount when you first leased it?
Before anything, I’d request a current DEALER payoff from LFS to confirm.