Positive equity and replacement options in the current market

as a general rule of thumb, c-classes (just like 330i’s) have been relatively worthless. they had maybe a few bucks in late november / early december, but the last month+, all that i have seen were underwater. as used prices come down, expect mass market cars, such as this, to continue to be out of the money. extend it as long as you can and return it.

2 Likes

I got 5 months left on my 2019 Audi Q7 premium, I am going to flip it to my broker who isnt on this site – the car has positive equity with super low miles, I am getting 5K over payoff quote from Vroom, so the money is there. I will likely get an Acura MDX and ill get it in like a week. price will be more than what I am paying for the audi, but what can you do, bad market, need a new car.

If I can extend it for a few months and return it later, will it be better than returning it now?

Or am I waiting hoping that the market will shift?
What to say to extend. They told me one month only since I’m not waiting for a car

My broker has out his work on hold since the market isn’t any good. So now I’m trying to figure out what to do. I’m looking at a few cars like the Lexus IS , Acura ILX, Honda Civc. Not sure if purchasing or leasing is better. Omg the stress

I’ve been leasing a Benz for so many years. I can’t see myself paying the prices they are giving me. :woman_facepalming:t4:

2 Likes

So turn in and just ok for another lease or purchase from another dealer all together.

1 Like

extend it as long as you can. blame covid, whatever you want. try to get a few more months out of it, and then give it back.

Do you know some of the verbiage that people made are using…

Hopefully the market will be different by then too. My miles will be wel over 50k by then

Try to extend the Q7 lease as much you can.
Then check the mkt if it gets better for lease.
I will never switch Q7 for MDX.

I need advice urgently. My 2019 CX-9 Grand Touring lease is over in 3 months. The car is in great condition and only has 18K miles on it, but it had been involved in an accident and was fully repaired (airbags didn’t deploy). My current options are:

1. Pay $30k (incl. tax) to buy the car. I like the car and don’t mind keeping it for a few more years, but I’m concerned about the resale value because of the accident.

2. Sell it to a 3rd party. I have a concrete offer for $32k from a dealership. I’d walk way with $6.3k cash, but would have to find an alternative in a bad market.

What would you do if you were in my position?

Thanks in advance

How much are u paying for your current lease? Have you looked at the numbers for the 2022 model lease? Might not be that bad considering the equity you are getting

I’m currently paying $353/mo. I haven’t really shopped around for the 2022 CX-9, but the only number I could find online was $481/mo.

If you really have $6.3k equity, I would take that immediately on a 2019 CX9, especially that it has been hit.

The new 2022 CX9 is actually leasing pretty well.
Brokers are offering $450 a month with 0 DAS on a CX9 Sport. Could be cheaper since you have loyalty

Check the marketplace.

3 Likes

That’s easy. Option 2.

As for what’s next, noting is leasing well except Jeep Wrangler and Nissan Frontier. Finance something that was holding its value well even before chip shortages. In that segment, Highlander, Palluride, etc.

1 Like

No doubt you should sell it now. Positive equity with a dirty carfax? Grab that check and run.

3 Likes

Agree with others, definitely take the equity check option. If you need another car immediately, leasing another 2022 might work out as well given the 6k equity you get, financial wise.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. There seems to be a consensus that selling now is the best option. I’m going to the dealership to sell the car this morning, but I wanted some reassurance that I wasn’t doing something stupid.

Given the current lease market condition, I was actually considering financing my next car instead of leasing. Are any companies out there offering 0% over 60 months other than Ford?

I think Nissan is…for certain models…0% even for 72 months

Subaru has some special financing. Website has both 0 and 1.9 but don’t specify length. I got 1.9 for 72 mos on my WRX last month. Honda has 0.9/1.9/2.9 for 48/60/72.

1 Like

Get an estimate online for your car:

Depreciation is going to be a way larger expense than finance charges. Don’t tie yourself to a rapidly sinking anchor like a Ford Explorer just for the attraction of 0% APR.

Don’t lose the forest through the trees.

1 Like