Porsche-Better to buy or lease?

So from a little bit of the research I’ve done, it seems that Porsches (Cayenne/Macan/Panerama specifically) lease pretty poorly snd that it’s better to buy a used one?

Does anyone have experience and can chime in?

I’m in SoCal as well.

This has been discussed many times. You can search the forum and find every pro and con.

6 Likes

Yes it’s better to buy a 911 rather than lease it. My buddy found a 2015 911 14 months ago and just traded it in for another higher end model. His purchase price was 62K plus tax. He got 59K on the trade in towards another low mileage used 911.

Lease one and it’s going to cost you $1,000+ a month for 36 months.

2 Likes

depends on what you pay for it but usually yes.

I didn’t say 911. This is specifically in regards to Cayenne and Panerama

Specifically for Cayenne and Panerama?

How long do you intend to keep it? Had a Cayenne loved it, and miss it now. But major issues started cropping up between years 4-6. 2 oil leaks and emissions problem. But depreciation was like any other European SUV. Plummets the first few years then levels off. Nothing like the 911. good luck with your search

1 Like

Haha Panamera or Panerama?

2 Likes

No, its chipotle “lease with integrity”

1 Like

Just an observation, total cost of ownership over 2-3 years is similar when leasing vs purchase & resell for Panamera and Macan. I suggest you compare them by making some assumptions ( i.e. resale value) in an excel sheet then decide.

1 Like

Define “better”. If you are looking for a deal, it’s better to buy. Better Leases are best on cars that sell below invoice and also have relatively high residuals. Good luck finding a heavily discounted brand new Porsche.
That being said, it’s still easier to lease a car like this to avoid the long term maintenance provided you can afford it.

I don’t need a brand new Porsche. The 2019 Cayenne is when the body style changed. If I were to get a 2019 in summer of 2021, that would be ~2 years. Am I off in my thinking here?

I would probably keep for a few years but not that long. I’ve heard that Porsches retain their value really well, so was thinking of selling it after 3-4 years maybe.

Did you buy it CPO?

Got it new… it was our kids-carrier so it was pretty beat up lol cracked windshield, escooter ran into us, scraped up corner bumper, all 4 21” wheels curbed, and still fetched about 40% of MSRP at trade-in after 5 years.
But the oil leaks were problematic. Two leaks and both times they had to drop the engine & transmission :man_facepalming: But I’ll get another Cayenne again if things work out. Too soon right now

Was it still under warranty? I am considering Cayenne for the next family hauler later next year, these horror stories are leaving leasing as the only option.

Yes, luckily everything was covered under warranty. But that was the main reason I got rid of it - didn’t want to deal with any major issues. Nothing was breaking, but seals/gaskets started to wear out with age and nothing is a small job with Porsche :slight_smile:

And I got the maintenance plan, so I didn’t have to keep counting $ every time I went in for service. But it’s all good :+1:

Maybe I should wait for electric Cayenne :grinning:

The sports cars certainly hold their value well (after the first couple years), but that doesn’t translate to the SUVs. They do better than some other German luxury brands, but still not that great.

Hi,
I leased a 2018 base Macan in Nov. 2018 and negotiated my mother’s lease on 2018 Sport Edition in Feb. 2019. If you are interested, I am happy to provide more detailed info about each deal.
Just my opinion…no SUV, with an MSRP under 80K, drives as well as the Macan. I would like another Macan when my lease terminates in Nov. 2021. I highly doubt I will lease one again though. IMO, 1-2 year old CPOs, with under 15K miles, are the way to go. Porsche is not BMW; there are no lease incentives, freebies, etc. and Porsche vehicles, in comparison, hold their value.

Very interesting. Would love to know more details about each of the deals!

And I’ve heard as well (more than 1x) that leasing Porsches is financially a bad deal and to buy a used one instead.