Porsche-Better to buy or lease?

TL;DR - Buy a new or CPO 911. They hold their value.
The Cayenne and Panamera don’t lease well, but if you can afford to go for it. For an entry level lease on an SUV, check out Macan loaner deals (when they come up).

Forget about leasing the Taycan. It does not make financial sense, unless you have money to burn.

Base Macan - Single Pay Lease
Lease Term: 36 months. 12K miles per year.
MSRP: 56,460.00
Selling price: 9.5% off MSRP
Money Factor: .0019 (single pay MF reduction of .0006 on national MF of .0025)
Residual: 60%
Sales Tax Rate: 7.75%
One pay total: $27,013 (No extras).

Sport Edition - Traditional Lease
Lease Term: 36 months. 15K miles per year.
MSRP: 66,700.00
Selling price: 11.5% off MSRP
Money Factor: .0026
Residual: 60%
Sales Tax Rate: 7.75%
$3000.00 drive off; $882/month.

1 Like

Thank you for this!

How did you like the Macan Sport? And for your next car, you’re going to buy a used Macan 1-2 years old that is CPO and under 15k miles?

My mom loves her Sport Edition. It’s the base with all the bells and whistles - ventilated seats, upgraded exhaust system, etc. Performance and driving experience are comparable if not identical.

To be perfectly honest, this is probably not the best day to ask if my next car will be a Porsche. Spent part of my afternoon calling service departments at local Porsche dealerships. Service cost estimates range from $700 to $1700 for year 2 service (my current mileage is under 11,300). This level of dishonesty is typical of Porsche dealerships - I have horror stories about lease negotiations that include one dealership attempting to charge a sales tax rate of 16%. With that being said, I do love my car. One of the advantages of buying is that you have more flexibility and can avoid paying exorbitant maintenance costs at dealerships.

A few tangential thoughts: I think you are So Cal resident. I found Porsche BH, Porsche Woodland Hills, and Porsche Riverside tend to be more straightforward in negotiations.

Check out the Q8. I have a friend who chose that over the Macan because she despised how our local Porsche dealership handled negotiations. Her car is gorgeous - think it shares the same chassis as the Urus and Cayenne Coupe. Audi dealers are amazing - so amazing that my audi dealer actually helped me negotiate my Macan lease. Thank you, Sasha (Audi Fletcher Jones).

Please feel free to contact me with any questions. I feel for my fellow Porsche lessees because of the lack of information and guidance available.

$400 oil changes add up :wink:
Join the enthusiast crowd on a Renn forum with the rest of us and DIY it
Failing that join a Renn forum and ask for a recommended indy

2 Likes

Just find a good indy.

Thanks for the advice. I did find an Indy mechanic who seems very knowledgeable; pcarshops.com and pcarwise.com are great resources. I fear that this will come back to bite me during my lease return but we’ll see. My experiences with Porsche dealerships and PFS have been overwhelmingly negative.

That sounds like someone in Chicago

I rented a 2016 Boxster S on Turo a couple months ago. The receipts in the glovebox from Porsche dealer services were HILARIOUS. Previous service was a $400 oil change, $150 for new wipers, etc etc etc. I have no idea how people can light their money on fire like that. I ended up paying about $0.60/mile to rent the car which is probably half of what it actually costs her to own it.

1 Like

Hence why it’s on Turo…

1 Like

The age old adage, gotta make money to spend more money than you’re making!

download

7 Likes

Not Chicago.

$4146 sales tax is about 7.75% of the $53389 purchase price shown in the purchase option category.

2 Likes

Precisely my point. The lease quote is intentionally misleading. It may look like a car purchase quote but it is a lease quote as indicated by the “one pay” total at the bottom of the page.

It’s an autonation quote. They list a purchase option and a lease option. The sales tax in the purchase option applies to the purchase option. It hasn’t been snuck in to the lease numbers.

6 Likes

Quote sheets like these usually display both lease and purchase

For starters, just to avoid the “but what if I lease?” after first asking about purchasing, and vice versa

No it’s not. Autonation is just stupid.

1 Like

With all due respect, there’s a lot more to the story than one little quote. I made several attempts (one in person; two via email) to negotiate a lease with NB over a four week period. This quote was generated in response to a final attempt to negotiate a deal on a loaner. The finance manager was well aware that I was looking to sign a 36 mo/36K mi lease. Frustratingly, none of his five lease quotes on three different vehicles included an annual mileage allowance of 12K per year. Despite repeated requests, the finance manager also refused to disclose basic information such as the MF, residual value, total cost of sales tax, etc. I literally gave up because of his lack of transparency and forthrightness.

It is not lost on me that car industry is a tough rough business. My criticisms of the FM and his dealership are warranted and fair.

While I strongly dislike dealerships that aren’t transparent with their deals and that behavior certainly deserves criticism, saying they tried to pass off a fraudulent tax rate isn’t true here.

I’m confused by the five quotes here… Why go back for a second if they couldn’t listen the first time to what you wanted, much less 4 more times? If a dealer won’t provide you with the info you request, do business with someone that will.

3 Likes