Percentage Discount on BMW Loaner - With an Accident on the Carfax

I think - this ^

2 Likes

mhmm well OP got a LOT of hours today. be ready to fight till the dying hours. As @Orangeman96 said, grab the popcorn and enjoy the show :slight_smile:

2 Likes

BMW programs run through 6/2, so the remaining buying public has a ā€œLOT of hoursā€ too.

2 Likes

The calculation represents what I would accept, not looking for less. If I canā€™t get a fantastic deal on the previous generation, I will just pay a little more and get one of the new ones.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious how dumping works. I just did a CarMax search and within 50 miles of me they have 452 new cars. Is CarMax buying buying these cars at auction or do they have a relationship with dealers to directly buy cars that dealers canā€™t sell.

Thatā€™s fine. Just donā€™t hold your breath too long.

Iā€™d suspect auction, but couldnā€™t say for certain.

1 Like

I didnā€™t do enough digging. The CarMax in Laurel is just a full fledged Toyota franchised dealer. Interesting flex for CarMax.

Interesting but I guess fits into the no haggle model Iā€™ve seen a few Toyota shops go to.

Just catching up, but in my experience (of chasing loaners and noticing some dings on the carfax), the dealers arenā€™t that much more motivated/incentivized to move them. This seems to be another data point added to the set.

2 Likes

Wow thatā€™s 55% of original MSRP.

2 Likes

I tried as well for giggles a couple years ago. No dice either for me on some minor parking lot damage. In their defense, minor cosmetic damage that was fixed properly isnā€™t going to have an affect on resale down the line if you can provide documentation of the issue, and theyā€™re surely not going to give them away either as new with cosmetic damage under 1k

3 Likes

If I were a franchised new car dealer I would be concerned about CarMax getting into the new car game. CarMax doesnā€™t take complete advantage of their least sophisticated customers - while dealers make most of their money on the horrible decisions of a minority of their clients. While you will not get great, or even good, deal at CarMax you also wonā€™t get robbed which is why many non sophisticated shopers enjoy shopping there. If these unsophisticated buyers can get a legit lease quote online from CarMax, they arenā€™t going to agree to the horrible lease deals that keeps dealerships afloat (and us in hackr deals).

2 Likes

I know one very sophisticated leashackr who just got his Porsche from CarMax :smile:

4 Likes

I should have included the caveat that there are always exceptions. Doug DeMuro paid 4k bucks for a warranty there that ended up paying out almost 17k over six years. CarMax can be hacked, itā€™s just harder to do and you need to find the perfect situation.

3 Likes

And those warranties are now significantly more expensive thanks to him.

5 Likes

Currently at a tiny bit over 20% discount with a marked up money factor. This was their final offer. I think I am out . Seems deals were better a month or two ago.

2 Likes

Rob, I think itā€™s more that the aggressive dealers already blew out their stock 2 months ago. Now weā€™re left with the, uh, remainder of dealers.

The most aggressive high volume dealer in my region was out of all their 2018ā€™s by the third week of April.

6 Likes

Lame. Pass on it.

Agree :point_up_2:

However, 20% off MSRP on a $59k 2018 loaner w Carfax damage report is still pretty darn good by any measure. I think we are spoiled by all the BMW unicorn deals for the past two months, which sets some unrealistic expectations towards a normal market.

It really depends on your situation. If you need a car in a next few months, Iā€™d counter one more time and close this deal to move on with my life. But if you can wait till later this year or even next year, you maybe be able to find a better deal.

1 Like