Paying over MSRP for Genesis? Anyone believes it is true and not a trick?

Yes, agreed. Point noted. The typical monthly payment in casual talks by a dealer is pure BS and means nothing.

I don’t think you’re EVER getting the GV for $450-$500.

1 Like

believe me, I will lmao.

The deal i got on my RR Velar R dynamic thats been out for 2-3 years now, no dealer said id be in the $500s …and guess what - i got it for $599. Yes it may take some time but later this year i am sure i will be able to snag one for around $500/month. Not on a 3.5 but on a 2.5T Prestige.

Your sister does not want a $599 RR? :slight_smile:

1 Like

She did, the dealer doesnt have tax credits anymore so replicating the deal is not mathematically possible unless dealer digs deeper and gives me $12-$13K off which they are not prepared to do. They can do $9K off which i got for my deal but then theres all the taxes that will also be rolled in which is about $90 more per month

That’s been the plan for Hyundai/Genesis for a while, but dealers have been pushing back. I think there’s a lawsuit that’s ongoing that needs to be settled before we see any real progress.

They’ve probably already screwed themselves, since they already have it under the Hyundai umbrella it’ll be hard to break that up. They should have made Genesis a separate brand from the get go and gradually built up the dealer network. Intial investment would have been big, but they would have their own Lexus/Acura arm. This has been the successful path to a luxury brand in the US. You can’t expect people to pay a premium without the premium experience. I definitely would have sold more Saab’s if I wasn’t doing it from a run down building that look like it was going to fall down.

4 Likes

I believe there’s a lawsuit against Hyundai for trying to do just that… dealers did not want to fork over the cash to change their showrooms or become bespoke genesis dealers without believing they’d turn enough profit doing it.

I forgot exactly what Hyundai did that spurred the suit, but I think they basically tried to incentivize it by limiting or eliminating allotments to dealers that did not build.

2 Likes

There is, they created a program to provide a dealer incentive of 8% of MSRP for each car sold for Genesis and 2% of MSRP for each car sold for Hyundai for each dealer that built a new separate Genesis showroom.

Understandably, dealers whined and sued Hyundai because 8% rebate can mean quite a bit, especially when looking at higher volume dealers. 8% of the sticker of each car sold can make one hell of a dent in a bottom line.

1 Like

Sounds like they screwed the pooch on this one, instead of stepping up and making the initial investment on a dealer network, they tried to pay on the back end, fail. Plus they got sued, :heavy_minus_sign::heavy_minus_sign: instead of :heavy_plus_sign::heavy_plus_sign:

2 Likes

I think they had intention of rewarding dealers that transitioned, I just think they got a little shady trying to offload most of the risk to the dealer network by offering the monetary incentives on the back end and only when sales were made.

Many of these dealerships were staring down the barrel of multi-million dollar makeovers. That’s a tough pill to swallow with no up-front support.

1 Like

Good secondary question is did they put that money saved back into the car?

I drove a g80 3-4 years ago and it was not great.

However the gv80 looks great in pics and I like the g90 as well.

In the end product matters more than showrooms.

Infiniti has nice showrooms but only product can save them. Alfa and Maserati are barely a rounding error in USDM sales volume

People buy $80k GMCs and $90K Lincolns out of basically Chevy and Ford showrooms

1 Like

Those brands have cachet. Hyundai is trying something new for them in this market. I’d argue they need presence, product, and a hook.

They’re halfway there, honestly. The products are great and present great value. Dealer experiences sinks that boat, though.

1 Like

They had a mini insurrection by the dealer network a few years ago on this Also the concierge piece is a great way to stay out of the dealership.

Is it worse than a typical Chevy or Ford dealership tho?

Genuine rather than rhetorical question

My last Hyundai dealer trip was very honda/ford dealeresque. No different than the lincoln dealer I used to take my wife’s lincoln to when we had it.

I find it to be pretty bad after leasing my Kia. Been inside a Chevy dealer a few times and thought they are alright.

1 Like

A local Acura showroom I’ve been to is pretty rundown. Like shockingly low-end for a supposedly premium brand.

I’d assume Genesis will have no problem eating that dealer’s lunch.

Hyundai dealers aren’t amazing, but in my experience, they’re still way better than kia dealers.