Paying over MSRP for Genesis? Anyone believes it is true and not a trick?

That sounds like a deal compared to a $900/mo pilot.

5 Likes

Thats actually not bad. I was fearing a lot worse, just like the germans. These won’t lease great but once demand/supply settles down, it won’t be as terrible, just like Pallurides were before the Pandemic destroyed the supply chains.

Problem is that RV in this case is less relevant since apparently it is set arbitrarily by the dealership (as per Genesis & dealership rep themselves) and is offset by an obviously ridiculously high MF. The suggested lease structure makes you effectively pay $46.5K or approx. 65% of the car’s MSRP.

The worst variables here:
a) selling price is over MSRP;
b) MF is obviously close to 5% APR;
c) lack of any lease incentives;

Ballpark calculator looks like this:

IMO, people will get interested if it looked like this instead:

Stunts to attract more views will get them only so far if the actual numbers are not working for real people.

Edmunds has the lease program details from genesis…

It sounds like the dealer you talked to either was talking out of their ass or the conversation occurred prior to the lease programs being release (followed by the dealer talking out of their ass).

This wouldn’t be the first car to have lease programs lag behind vehicles hitting lots by a few weeks.

1 Like

This was today on 12/23/20 around 4pm. You are right, perhaps they are still there LOL

I also don’t think that supply chain disruptions can justify the idiotic pricing we are facing today. All other manufacturers are in the same boat, LR Defender, arguably an iconic staple for off-roading was rolled out in August/September and even these were sold at MSRP for the most part (with very few exceptions, iconic car, again!) and now they are priced totally reasonably, with discounts and incentives. Like some tv guy used to say, “these [GV80s] must be made out of panda’s tears then…”

Edmunds has had the lease program numbers since the beginning of November. I think you’re just dealing with a stupid dealer.

I don’t understand the general complaint you’re making here. Its a very nice vehicle that’s been on the market for like 6 weeks. Of course theyre not being subvened by the manufacturer or discounted heavily by the dealer.

Come back in 6 months and I’m sure things will be less ridiculous.

2 Likes

The folks selling Genesises (Genesi?) are not used to moving premium products. They’re used to figuring out how to get a broke family with two signers and three BKs into a base Accent.

5 Likes

No complaints about the car at all, in fact I like it and I have been wanting to get into one (as well as Stinger GT) since their debut here but every single time I’d give up because of the dealerships.

Yes, I get it that this one is new and can’t expect large discounts or incentives right away but it is not likely to change in my experience. In my experience, BMW, MB, Audi and Porsche, all give some sort of discount on their very newest models almost from day 1, mainstream models at least. However Hyundai dealers keep quoting astronomical numbers regardless of the time the car was out. Dealt with 4 Hyundai dealerships and 4 Kia dealerships around NY/NJ area on separate occasions and always very similar experience. For example, they have quoted me a G80 for as much as MB S class would go…

Anyway, just wanted to share my (very frustrating) experience and thoughts on the subject matter.

Just because some dealers will doesn’t mean they all will.

As an example, I got my palisade for 15% under msrp post-incentive in a time when many of the dealerships (including some posting on here) wouldn’t budge from several thousands over MSRP. You just have to figure out who is willing to play. Many will not be.

And to be a bit pedantic, Edmunds shows genesis already putting $1500 in lease cash on these in some regions

That is very impressive, bravo! I simply lose my patience after dealing with one or two dealers who are adamant that their cars are worth just as much as germans and I don’t know what I am talking about. The biggest turnoff for me is their lack of willingness to work with you, unlike most of luxury car dealers, these just quote the price and don’t budge, “take it or leave it” type of attitude.

Personally, I don’t see the point in asking a dealer what they want me to pay

1 Like

They actually pretend that they hear your number and structure (like today) but come back like they never heard you.

That’s fine… That’s just them letting you know to move on to the next dealer.

3 Likes

You seem surprised that they think their cars are worth as much as the germans, yet you seem to really want one. Why not get a german car? Simple, you, like many of the folks overpaying really like the car. I dont blame you, I think it looks great. Going to look for a 2022 g70 sedan when my current lease expires.

TLDR not sure how many times the same basic concept can be explained to you.

They have very little interest in leasing the car out. They want people to buy it.

2 Likes

my sister was looking at palisade and then she saw the genesis GV80 and said WOW. So i went to dealership to look at it to see how it was and get an idea of payment before I looked at the lease “program” this month …mind you I went in my velar R dynamic that i got last month.

The sales guys and mgmt come by and look at my suv and said when i got it and some didnt know what it was. Then said come inside (the hyundai store) to see the genesis GV. i go inside and yes the GV is a looker. Not gonna lie. Sat inside a prestige trim 3.5T and this thing is BONKERS nice. Fit, finish, quality, craftsmanship. Yes, this is phenomenal build and exudes a very premium product. MSRP: $69K They mad market adjustment of $5500 on the windoe sticker bringing the selling price to $74K. I asked the general sales mgr to give me the deal worksheet and he basically said it wont be less than around $1200. He came out and looked at my Velar and said drive the GV and then to tell him which one truly was better. I looked at him and said, im paying $599 for my velar…no thanks - you can get a LR Range Rover for $1200, not sure why anyone would want to lease a GV for that. I told him you have a great looking product but im very happy with the deal I took on Velar and quite frankly speaking the SUV I have is phenomenal, even if it doesnt have all the bells and whistles the GV has.

The genesis is an exceptional proposition in my opinion…but thats what it is - a proposition. Theres no proper dealer network and service. It caters to a luxury market thats matured but aiming to sway them to forego the european and japanese brands like most have already said. Part of the value savings is the opportunity cost of not running a proper genesis dealer network and standalone experience. Both GV and G80 are competing for north american car and suv of the year …thats pretty impressive and yes ive read the reviewes and seen all the youtube videos. Both are compelling products so im going to commend genesis for delivering a product like this.

But it doesnt mean that a small artificially created hype will translate to a longstanding sales success. In all honesty, in about 4-5 months there will be tons. And at that time, i will probably snag a Prestige 2.5T GV for about $450-$500/month for my sister because again the value and offering is exceptional and its different than other offerings out there that are not as emotionally enticing in terms of design and price.

1 Like

Doesn’t surprise me they’d give a number like that.

I also consider dealer numbers thrown out in conversation like that to be completely irrelevant.

you can lease a RR for $1200-$1300/month with $0 due at signing.

My point was that a number the dealer randomly threw out in conversation isn’t indicative of what one can actually lease for.

I’d pay as much attention to it as them telling me the sky is purple

1 Like