Pallisade/Telluride vs the world

Saved Tiger in one hell of a crash - good enough for me.

Must… Resist… Bait…

It’s not bait. I’ve driven one and been inside them. I want to hear why you think it sucks at that price point.

Not that I know you think it sucks, but given your position on literally everything else in this space…

I didn’t say anything about Genesis, I said Hyndai and Kia suck.

I don’t have enough exposure to genesis to form too much of an opinion. I know I’m not a fan of the interior design and outside is mostly stolen from 9ther brands.

It’s also very hard to launch and maintain a succesfull spin off luxury brand. Infinity is failing, acura is a premium brand and not luxury, etc, etc. When you get into a certain price range competing against established brands is challenging. Why would someone spend x on brand x when there is a tried and true at the same price range. So packaging and gimmicks start playing into it, but the real trick is breaking into a badge prestige game.

I can type more when I’m at the computer if you want, this is pretty much my limit in the phone.

5 years ago, I would agree with you. Recently, they have developed a pretty unique design style

1 Like

Genesis logo is reworked chrysler logo of old. The first time I saw it i thought it was the new 300 version.

And Genesis needs a better overall experience to be taken seriously. This shared dealer experience with Hyndai is lame and if they want to be taken seriously it needs to go away.

But again, to me Korean cars are a non starter from the designs to dealerships to car feel. For others they work and good for them, that’s why we have so many brands and so many opinions.

This is dated bs. ROK has exceptional manufacturing standards. And they stand behind things. The long term warranties changed the entire brands for Kia and Hyundai. They also compete on price—so materials are often not top tier. But I think you’re painting with too broad a brush here.

2 Likes

Great, I don’t have to like it right? I don’t know about dated, but my latest test drives of Hyundai brand were top tier products 4 weeks ago!

But if it makes everyone here feel better, sure greatest cars ever, all others should stop making cars and just go home, LH has spoken.

Well, you’re entitled to your opinion. Genesis looks REALLY nice. I haven’t tried the Kia/Hyundai infotainment yet, but I liked the Genesis one tbh.

:chocolate_bar:

I don’t feel this Kia is tier 4.

2 Likes

That was supposed to be top tier, I fixed the post. And all of these things look good in pictures, which is why I was considering them. When you get in there it’s a different feel and it just doesn’t feel like what the price tags commands.

And what I don’t get is this, you want to drive a Hyundai, drive a Hyundai. Ganging up on me isn’t going to change my view of the brand. I can give you a list of all car brands that I think suck ass and reasons why I think that, would you like to convince me that those too are great?

1 Like

I’m genuinely curious. What competitor do you think gives a substantially better product for the price point (in this context, take that as purchase price) than the korean twins?

I’m not trying to change your mind, I’m just curious.

7 Likes

My point I’m trying to make is that in the GV80 there isn’t a thing you can touch in the interior that isn’t a premium material, everything is leather, the knobs are all metal, the quality is thru the roof at that price point. I agree that serving at what is essentially a Hyundai dealer is not great, but I believe all Genesis owners get free pickup and drop off service. I was shocked, but it’s hard to deny how nice it is and what you would need to spend to get that kind of interior in a BMW. Hell, you can’t even get an interior that nice in an X5, there would still be stuff that wasn’t leather wrapped and cheap plastic buttons.

1 Like

Pilot, Atlas, Ascent are the ones that I was comparing. I don’t remember MSRP so can’t draw a comparison feature to feature off the top of my head, but those 3 were at the top of the list with the twins.

Ascent felt very unrefined in the engine department, but otherwise was very pleasant. Pilot is a bit dated at this point but a solid vehicle. Atlas was solid, but weird. I liked it but something felt wrong, just don’t remember what right now.

Highlander I just don’t like.

Granted at the end of the day I decided that I don’t need a 3 row car and went in another direction, but that was my thought process when I was still looking at 3 rows.

The palisade especially just felt like cheap plastic shit show inside. Maybe it was too much expectations from watching YouTube, but it just screamed cheap. That center console, with those buttons just looked like it’s going to crack and shatter.

I mean look, if i did this, and said guess the brand, would you ever say Hyundai (or Genesis)?

2 Likes

I would say FCA

Not before the Grand Wagoneer you wouldn’t have.

1 Like

Now you can read my mind too? :slight_smile:

Not sure what your frame of reference would have been before that car :rofl:

Look, I’m a die hard BMW/Porsche fan, but I think at some point you have to give credit where credit is due, this is a seriously luxurious vehicle at a very competitive price.

2 Likes

I have a palisade and a passport (so basically a pilot) in my driveway. I don’t know what trim of palisade you drove, because there is significantly more cheap plastic in the passport (not to mention it has held up significantly worse to wear). The passport also happens to be the one that keeps having to go back to the shop, but that’s another matter.

2 Likes

When I’ll get a chance to spend any amount of time with one I’ll give you my honest opinion. Like I said Palisade turned out to be something very different from the pictures, so I’m not going to judge something based on photos.

1 Like