Opportunity to get a good deal on Range Rover Sport-- but should I do it?

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I’m currently leasing a 2017 x3 35i with a unicorn-like deal (354/month and 0 down). Lease ends on Jan 10th and I’m starting to think about what to get next. I’ve had my eye on the x3 m40i for a while and I think it will be possible to squeeze out a decent deal (though nothing like my current lease obviously).

I just got the opportunity from a friend to lease a 2020 RRS SE for a little more than what a loaded X3 40i would go for. The downsides are:
-I’d have to sign the deal by tomorrow which would mean having 2 cars (that i don’t need or have parking for) or returning the BMW early and forfeting 2 payments plus disposition fee. So effectively, that adds another 1k.
-It’s slower and far less equipped than the X3 would be. Fixed glass roof that doesn’t even open and no adaptive cruise. Does have the fridge in the center console- lol. It’s actually closer to an X3 30i in performance. A base X5 would also put it to shame in every possible measure (performance, mileage, cargo capacity, etc)
-Worse electronics/infotainment and probably reliability
-It’s white which is my least favorite color. Doesn’t have the black roof or black pack which both help make white look decent on the upper spec models. Has the ugly base wheels as well.
Positives:
-Rides better with more comfortable seats
-Nice interior (though I happen to think the latest X3 and X5 interiors are a little nicer)
-Has a couple features i haven’t had in previous cars- HUD and fridge.
-Presence and as my wife put it “how often do you get a chance to drive a range rover”.
-It’s a great deal for a Range Rover Sport that I’ll likely never get again.

I think I’m must enamored by the deal, but was just curious what you guys would do in my shoes.

Drive a check engine light waiting to happen, or drive an updated version of your current vehicle…not a hard choice if you think about it.

And you’re right. An X3 M40i will NOT lease for anywhere near your current payment. That being said, the right deal on the wrong car is worse than the wrong deal on the right car.

Asking us to help you without posting any details on the RRS deal itself is probably a wasted exercise.

Don’t get a car you don’t like, no matter how cheap it is. Otherwise we’d just recommend everyone buy 1994 Honda Civics and be done with this forum.

11 Likes

I love my RR and still think its the best SUV on the road. No other SUV has the road presence and feel of a Range. If that is what you care about, go for it!

2 Likes

So it’s worse in just about every measure but it’s a Range Rover. How important is that to you? No one here can answer that.

Depends what ones perception of road presence is.

Sure you’ll look like you’re ballin’ on the surface but it won’t take long for empty buttons and missing gadgets to pick at you for getting the “shoulda worked harder” version.

3 Likes

This is a waste of time without numbers.

6 Likes

I read this again and it really bothers me now. What should a “loaded X3 40i” go for? $400/mo? $700/mo? What is ‘a little more’? Please provide numbers or I’m locking this up, sorry. This is a waste of everyone’s time if you just want us to confirm or deny that you’ll look cool driving an RRS.

6 Likes

I hated my RR, to each their own.

1 Like

By loaded X3 40i, I mean one that stickers around 66k. I’m fairly sure I could get one for close to 1% with 0 down, so figure $660. If picked one that was equipped more closely to the RR, the sticker would be around 62k, so figure ~620. Yes, I realize these cars are in different “classes” and almost nobody compares them.

And my criteria for my next car: good looking, comfortable front seats with heating and 4-way lumbar on both, hatch/wagon/SUV, no 4 cylinders, decent acceleration (pref under 6 secs 0-60). Prefer under 650/month. If the RR was slightly better specced (had adaptive cruise, 20" wheels and was black), I’d probably do it just to try something new. As it stands, I’m leaning toward no.

Which one did you have?

If thats the case, I’d go with the X3. Base RR don’t look great in my opinion with those Rav4 wheels they come with!

2 Likes

I don’t think an RR Sport and X3 are comparable

They’re completely different vehicles and for very different things

2 Likes

Different classes for sure but also different specs. X3 with nearly every box ticked is going to be infinitely more engaging than a rental spec Range Rover Sport.

Maybe I’m biased because I have one of these at home but I’d go with the X3 M40i every time (And if you could spare the change the X3M isn’t a bad choice either)

Different things? I mean they’re both premium SUVs with similar interior space (X3 actually has slightly more cargo room suprisingly), while RR has slightly more legroom. Granted, the RR is likely better off-road but I doubt many people a) go offroad at all with them b) go offroad in the types of situations where the better AWD system and air suspension make a difference

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking as well. I actually have no interest in the X3M-- too much, too harsh. Ultimatley, I’m buying this type of vehicle as a do-it-all family vehicle. The X3 40i has more than enough performance for me-- in fact, I wish BMW still offered the 6 in the X3 without the mandatory M sport package /stiffer suspension. For X3M money, I’d probably get a loaded X5 with massaging seats, and maybe the 50i engine if I could swing it.

2011 RR with the supercharged V8

1 Like

The last X3M was quoted here around $850 IIRC. I’d be surprised if you could get a fully loaded X5 50i for that.

1 Like

Are people really saying go for X3 vs RR Sport? O_o
I might be in minority but I’d go for a base model RR sport vs loaded X3 M40i all day every day :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Why? Apart from the badge it has literally nothing else going for it.