Open Road BMW lost my winter tires and refuses to take responsibility - looking for advice

I read the thread. :slight_smile:

Should’ve asked about their floor plan then :sneezing_face:

i dont think they care much about floorplan, given how big the group is. open road has 4 bmw stores, and probably 20 stores in NJ. they’d rather hold the stock and hit people over the head at 5-10k over.

Openroad is huge ofc, but

this is funny.

still available, if you want it.

Last seen 2+ years ago. Hasn’t worked for Open road since '19.

1 Like

I think they’ve demonstrated there won’t be a more efficient outcome.

Agreed. I understand it’s the principle…

Is a set of 4 under/over the Small Claims limit for your state?

As a “reasonable person” (I’m not but): if you knew the management changed hands and they physically moved, and didn’t check with them to see if your tires were there until now, I wouldn’t expect your tires were there either. I can’t imagine they inventoried or had proper put-away locations for customer equipment in their parts department (service just has their equipment and consumables, — inventory comes from parts). I would expect they came across a pile of tires with a piece of paper taped to them, realized they weren’t their inventory, and tossed them.

They’ve demonstrated their position (GFY) even with receipts, irrespective of how much you’ve spent over the years (have you added that up yet?) so I guess make an example of them and don’t ever do business there again.

One consideration: is another BMW store that they don’t own a reasonable distance? What happens if you sud them and your car breaks down/needs towed-in a week later?

3 Likes

… one of the reasons I’m gonna miss NJ :rofl:

… there’s a dealer at every corner

2 Likes

You can’t narc me for living in Central PA anymore LOL. Only Faulkner, Sun Motor, Apple, and Reading are technically BMW dealers. There’s actually a higher density in the UAE then in PA.

1 Like

Not exactly dealership, but my local discount tire offers to store your other set of wheels for you and swap them for free (bought snow tires from them). Still kicking myself for not taking them up on that offer - wife drove on the snows all summer couple years ago - “forgot” to swap them :).

1 Like

BMW dealership near me charges 100 a year to store winter/summer tires… I think it’s fairly common. OP sorry the dealer is being such a shxt head. Hope you get compensated or even just acknowledging that they lost them would be a start

1 Like

I have one last question, were they just tires, or tires and wheels.

HersheySweet - tires only

2021540i

yeah - they never acknowledged anything but the alternative is baffling. Let’s say they are right and although they admitted to having stored my tires previously, they somehow don’t anymore - did I covertly pick them up (in some other car since they don’t fit into mine) in order to show up sometime later and rip them off over a set of tires? I also apparently convinced two prior employees of my scheme and they’re “in on it”? And I spent years orchestrating this scheme by loyally swapping tires there? And never mind that i’ve been a loyal customer for like 15 years and bought a $165K M8 from them just last year.

1 Like

I mean: OP’s 1-start review is just the latest in a string of similar over the past TEN YEARS.

Several complain that they ended up there because they broke down and were towed there, or chose this dealer after an abysmal experience at another BMW dealer Open Road didn’t own.

Not unlike a map of Subway franchises in a state: does it matter how many there are if they all suck?

Two other considerations:

• tire storage at dealer seems to have been a thing in Colorado (undoubtedly elsewhere) for a long time, but picked up elsewhere after a 2016 Auto News article mentioned it was a thing. Maybe this dealer has done it forever, but it’s not a strength and most charge for the storage and swapping tires.
  • some dealers store these in a shipping container onsite, some seem to have a third-party store them

Not knowing the specific circumstances: if the dealership moved, I can see a scenario where someone either said “this ugly sea can is not coming to our fancy new store” or “what is this bill for offsite storage that isn’t for inventoried parts? Get rid of it”. Either is stupid, but wouldn’t rank as top-100 stupid things that happened either in a regime change nor a facility move, let alone both.

How else are they going to keep that barely 3-star Yelp review?

1 Like

On a related note: going forward buy a set of wheels dedicated to winter tire use.

The regular mounting and dismounting of tires on one set of wheels is bad for both your wheels as well as your tires.

6 Likes

Were you in the area? :slight_smile: How did you sell to them?

I would have also allowed Olive Garden and Applebee’s.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.