Ohio Removes Front License Plate Requirement, Joining 19 Other States

The ridiculous no-tint laws are more bothersome to me.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve only been in ohio for 2 years but iā€™ve never been bothered about my tint from toledo to columbus to cleveland. 20% tint on the windows and 50% on the windshield. Cant even see into the cabin of my car unless thereā€™s direct sunlight

Understand. I should have prefaced that this is referring to states with front plate and no-tint requirements.

1 Like

mustache :disguised_face:!

Just signed a lease with Nissan in the Town of Colma in NorCal couple weeks ago. One of the forms that I had to sign was to acknowledge that the dealership provided a front license plate bracket. It is the first time that I have to sign such a form.
I know some cities here in the state do issue tickets for cars parked on the street without a front plate.

AKA taxation without representation.

Some cities have very aggressive parking enforcement officers/meter maid, especially in big cities like City of Los Angeles.
One time after driving from NorCal for 6 hours and parked outside of a restaurant to go inside to get something to eat. It was about 11 PM, majority of business are closed and only a few restaurants were opened. Saw a meter maid ticketing another car behind me. I drove off and saw the meter maid looked up from her citation book for a moment. A parking ticket was sent to me in the mail.
A friend parked in a city owned parking lot and was about to leave. A meter maid was writing a parking ticket to the car couple stalls over. Noticed that my friend was about to drive off, she walked over and wrote him a ticket first, then went back to finish writing the ticket for the other car.

A warning to all tourists visiting the City of San Francisco. The business districts and tourist areas have many parking spaces reserved for vehicles with commercial plates only. These reserved spaces have meters with yellow color on top. There are warning message on the meters and street signs that warn about violators subject to being towed. Many out of town tourists and even people that live in the area are not aware San Francisco has such an ordinance and does actively enforce towing for non-commercial vehicles that parked at the spaces reserved for commercial vehicles.

If the car gets towed, the fine and towing fee will add up to about $1,000. Not to mention your vacation plan will be ruined with the time wasted trying to retrieve the car.

I have to yell at many unsuspecting people to move their cars so they donā€™t get towed.

2 Likes

I just had the front bracket removed.

How outrageous would it be to settle for the $1.84 version, instead of spending $29.99?

1 Like

I live in MD (front plate required) and have been driving around my Model 3 the past year with no front plate. shruggieguy

1 Like

Better things to worry about.

I went without a front plate on a previous car in California for the entire 9+ years I owned it.

For the first ~6 years it didnā€™t have a bracket (I asked the dealer not to install it when I took delivery), but much later my mother backed out of her garage into the front of the car and caused just enough damage that they decided to turn in an insurance claim.

The body shop that fixed it put the bracket on the front without asking me, and when I picked it up they explained that the insurance company didnā€™t consider the repair to be complete (and therefore payable) without a new bracket installed.

1 Like

Before car modding sites started selling painted covers, People would buy plugs from Home Depot. Just depends how important color matching is to you

1 Like

You know what? I was leaning toward the cheap version, but Iā€™m going to throw caution to the wind and blow the thirty dollars on some Mineral White plugs.

1 Like

One way to think about it is: the paint matched one will cost you 16 times more than the cheaper alternative.

Other way to think about it is : for only $30 you wonā€™t have to stare at those generic plugs every time you walk towards your car

1 Like

:+1:

Thank you for saving me from myself. :slight_smile:

Counter point: my rear tow hook cover went missing in a parking lot (I suspect hooligans popped it for fun, no damage). Last trip to Volvo I got the unpainted part: $32. They said NOT to use a touch up pen or it would streak. I went to the Sherman Williams auto paint yesterday and they sent a quote this morning: $198 for the smallest amount of paint and clear coat they sell.

Color matched plugs at that price are a steal.

Iā€™d recommend looking at eBay for pre-painted covers. Something like the one in link below.
There is no guarantee the color will match, but for about $30, itā€™s a risk Iā€™d take, especially if I was leasing the car.
Maybe you can find a seller that offers free returns.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133999330603?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D67c8860525d84aa397035b27b2e1695d%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D133999330603%26itm%3D133999330603%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A2700c3ff-eeb7-11ec-966e-8eeb1ed18295|parentrq%3A74ddaeb51810a45ac28cd1befff5b0a0|iid%3A1

How did you plan on spraying on the paint from Sherwin Williams? Do you have a HVLP spray gun?

1 Like

Great suggestion thanks. That seller didnā€™t have ā€œblueā€ but another one did. Weā€™ll see if what arrives is Denim or Burstingā€¦

They sell a small/cheap sprayer. If this were a body panel on the car I would not even attempt it.

1. TH feel free to move these unrelated posts to 159651 (original Signed post for this car)

2. @Justlooking your genius can only be foiled by my impossibly bad luck

rear tow hook without cover

Unpainted cover - gloss black and doesnā€™t match the plastic part of the bumper below

ā€œPainted to matchā€ cover from ebay - wrong Volvo blue

The ā€œVolvo Blueā€ matches the Subaruā€™s blue almost perfectly, but the part doesnā€™t fit

Back to square 1ā€¦