NY EV lease - Bolt? i3? Ioniq?

Thank you all for your consideration.

It seems that for high mileage drivers (not only in my friend’s case) that it would be cheaper to lease two cars rather than pay the high price of 20¢ per mile over.

We calculated that he would do apprx 27k per year. Maybe 2 x 15k cheap EV leases if there is such a thing. Maybe not.

I was thinking that maybe he could drive one for a year and sell it and maybe come out ahead of where he’d be if he rode out the lease. Maybe he just needs to find an EV on swap a lease that is near the end of its term but has a lot of miles left.

As to the comment “why doesn’t he just join?” - I totally agree. My friends are “amazed” at the deals I have gotten yet can’t be bothered to sign up and they end up paying too much for a car and it drives me nuts! This particular friend can’t be bothered to sign up!

There are plenty if you are patient and qualify for the discounts and rebates…the main problem is you pay for insurance x2…same for DMV or taxes in some states.

The other option is to use the miles and ground early. The cheap deal posted today by that NY broker would come up to about $6k one pay minus the NY ev rebate that come up to $4k. Use the car for the miles and after 1 year turn it in…that translates to a monthly of about $333…not so cheap anymore. This is why we say this is a buy situation.

1 Like

He needs to just buy a car.

Thank you everyone

…so what you’re saying is that is possible to lease?

Lol…quickly someone close the tread before max_g does. I hear he’s going for the record this month.

He should buy a 2020 bolt, they’re proven to be pretty solid with nearly no maintenance. Battery degradation is pretty minimal and the only common issue is front anti sway bar. Its cheap to buy and cheap to operate, only thing is with that kind of commute a level 2 home charger is a must and leave the house with 80%+ battery charge.

Have you considered hybrid?
The prius prime gets insane gas mileage, i would buy it instead of leasing for those miles.
Like others have said, based on the mileage, i don’t really see any EV apart from a Tesla M3 do this trip daily.

But you also have to think that when you get home from work, you basically cannot even use the car anymore as it needs to charge.

Lol…were do people come up with this stuff?! The base TM3 has 263mi of range.

Realistically, it’s less than that, probably 240 since you use A/C, the car tries to keep the battery warm in colder climates, plus driving style. The 263 range is based on perfect conditions during testing.

If he drives 140 miles per day round trip, add 10-20 miles of range extra due to using the vehicle’s A/C and other stuff, that gives you 160 miles of range used per day.

Assuming he has a conventional 120V house charger, he will need to let the car charge overnight so he has enough for the next day.

Even if you take your numbers, base calculation would be 263-140=123, still not enough to go another trip the next day. Let’s say he charges 50 miles worth at home and has enough for the next day. Now you come home and your car is almost drained, so you do have to let it charge and it becomes unusable for the rest of the day if charged at home with a 120V, that was my point.

No one is assuming that here…for any evs listed. It was mentioned before in this tread that L2 is a must. I can tell you from own experience that it’s a bad idea to put that much strain on a 15A 120v outlet.

I’ve been doing it for several years with no issues, but it’s not ideal. Charge times are definitely slow. Get the Level 2 charger if you can!

If I was driving that many miles I’d probably just buy a Corolla or Prius, ACC is standard and high mpgs. Even with a 100k they are still worth something too

1 Like

…look for another job. Now we really laid down all options.

3 Likes

My commute was about the same for years, only it was through LA traffic. 3+ hours each way. Fortunately, I wasn’t doing it quite 5 days a week, but still 3-4 times.

Life is so much better now with a 10-15 minute commute. It’s just not worth it to deal with something like that.

1 Like