NY EV lease - Bolt? i3? Ioniq?

My best friend has a 140mi round trip 5x per week commute. He is interested in leasing an EV that can make the trip on a single charge.

I know Bolts are great deals in CA. Are they great in NY too? I remember those Hyundai NY deals about a year ago! Thanks for the ideas in advance!

Take a Look at the Leaf As well, they lease well and get 190 I believe.
Bolts have the best deals right now and NJ (Not NY) is giving lots of extra cash so maybe your friend is in NJ and gets lucky?

Your friend should make sure that they have the charging infrastructure and resources to support that kind of mileage. Currently both of my Bolts are also showing estimated range of around 180 to 190 miles on a full charge, which is a far cry from the advertised range. In colder weather that is to be expected though. Also, someone in your friend’s shoes making that kind of trip with any regularity probably has no business leasing anything at all, especially if it is meant to be the daily driver. A 140 mile round trip is 700 miles a week if done 5 times a week. You’ll blow through a 36/12k lease in one year at that rate, and that’s not even including any other driving being done during the week. At that trajectory you’re looking at 109,200 miles just doing that trip alone for three years. Even if you took a 15k mile a year lease that would result in over $16,000 worth of mileage overage charges.

4 Likes

You are totally right about the mileage. Hell it would be cheaper to lease 3 cheap evs than 1 and pay overage for mileage!

He would do the 140rt 3-4 days a week x 49 weeks which is 24k per year! Maybe he needs to buy or find an undermileage swap a lease

You could probably get an LT in the mid 20’s out the door with the current purchase incentives, NY EV rebate and Costco. Used would be another option too, they are pretty cheap, although I’m not sure how they are being handled thanks to that battery recall that applied to everything but the 2020 model year. The reduction in range on the older models thanks to the recall would be something to consider too.

Thank you!

For 24k miles a year I would consider buying a commuter hybrid car.
At this point it will be much cheaper to own it than any EV. These days driving on electricity is more expensive than on gas.

Ioniq EV is the cheapest in NJ, bar none. Gas prices are rising again!

Just how cheap is the cheapest? Find out and claim remaining inventory tomorrow!

In CA you can find a used Bolt on the cheap.

I landed both leases from here and neither of them can make 140 mile trip on a single charge . In winter, you won’t even come close.

Id be pretty nervous about a Bolt making a trip like that on a cold day in Upstate NY or something like that. I think it could? But I don’t know if I would want to find out!

1 Like

2020 Ioniq limited has no heat pump in the US model. Only EU model has heat pump

Extremely good call, thank you! 2020 Kona Limited does have it, but those are 4-5x the price of the Ioniq

Agreed, the Kia Niro EV Premium can have one as well for an additional $1k

This is a case where a Tesla (3 or Y) actually may be cheaper than the other evs in the long run. You can’t go with anything under 200 mile range in NY for that kind of commute. You can’t lease either so buying is your only option. Tesla has the best charging infrastructure and best resale value in case you need to sell it later.

Hmm… Commuter car for $50k.?!

It’s irrelevant what the initial price is…i did say in the long run. You may get a Bolt for $30K but 5 years later and 100k miles on it you will sell it back to the dealer for a box of doughnuts. The Model 3 base is $39.2+tax in case anyone wants facts.

1 Like

You must really stress your bolts out. Mine is 250. 220 if I turn all of the heating. 200 if I have fun with it.

Cheaper than Bolt?

I agree but based on OP initial post he is looking for something like $100/ m Ioniq :slight_smile: