NY EV lease - Bolt? i3? Ioniq?

Yes, if you can find the SE model Ioniq.

I wish i could talk to his friend and explain him just how miserable he will be with that car on such long commute.
This is simple, guysā€¦he canā€™t lease (over-milage fees will kill him) and he canā€™t touch anything under 200 mile range in NY (no warm winters) UNLESS he has destination charging available.
When buying evs, the cheap leases are the worst to own. Even the mighty Bolt after 2 years and 30-50k miles is sold at $12-$14k. Take a look at the numbers for the Model 3ā€¦i see none on Autotrader under $34k and many have alot more miles at 2 years old. Iā€™m a sucker for cheap ev leasesā€¦i keep getting them for the past 5 years (eGolfs)ā€¦but seriously, if i had to buy something for a long commute there really is no doubt Tesla would take my money.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure, itā€™s not like this is really a hoonable car. I drive normally and use the regen paddle whenever possible. Right now I have the climate control set to Auto at 70 degrees. During warmer months I usually bump it to 72. Climate seems to be the biggest drain on the range when I look at the info screens. I think some of it might be due to the short, fast nature of my daily trip (only about 5 minutes or so each way, half of it at highway speed) which doesnā€™t really let the car stretch its legs and properly assess range.

My dealer just passed me a deal on Ioniq EV Limitedā€™s in NYS only at $139/mo + tax.

You are doing essentially the same thing when you normally break without the gimmick paddle so youā€™re not going to see much difference there. Drive like an 80 year old and you will see the difference.

For what Iā€™m using it for it ends up being a situation where Iā€™d rather enjoy the car for what it is than try to milk every mile out of it. Now if I had to make longer range trips that might be a different story.

10k miles a year?. Does FR can get additional $1k incentive?

36/10k.

I have no idea what FR is, I donā€™t normally deal in Hyundai, but it was such a good deal my contact sent it on since he is the manager for both.

If you can tell me what it is Iā€™d be happy to check lol.

First Responder LOL

OH LOL, that I should have realized, but youā€™re the first person who has abbreviated it that way.

Iā€™ll check and let you know via PM

1 Like

I found this. Not sure if this is regional

I see it as $500.

Ok. You might be right. Thanks for confirming

Interesting numbers!

My friend would need the highest mileage lease available - I assume 15k?

What are the over mileage penalties?

He is not a first responder but he is a Costco member if that helps.

What other fees would he have to pay or does it include aquisition and doc and yada yada yada?

Your friend needs to not lease.

5 Likes

If you estimate about 100k miles over three years, even with a 15k mile a year lease they would still be on the hook for somewhere between $8,250 and $13,750 in overage charges, depending on whether the leasing bank charges 15 cents or 25 cents a mile. Probably not worth doing versus buying.

1 Like

Amazing, I totally glossed over the part where he said this would be used for about 2800mi/month.

yeah, donā€™t lease for a 100k over 3 years. That makes no sense.

3 Likes

How about you ask your friend to join and let him deal with it? I know you are trying to be the good guy here but this rarely works for the other guy. He needs to learn the ropes.
Also something he needs to considerā€¦if you send 3-4 hours per day driving you better make sure that car is very comfortable.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s true. As much as I like my Bolts, especially for the prices paid, I donā€™t necessarily know if Iā€™d want to spend that much time in them every day. The seats arenā€™t the most comfortable in the world for long trips.

1 Like