Nissan's Carlos Ghosn fired, arrested over alleged income misconduct

That’s definitely true, but I think the Japanese end of the alliance with Renault feels a bit insecure and resentful towards non Japanese leadership as well.

1 Like

Nothing smooth’s over rivalry issues like profits. A few good years and then everyone gets along great…

And vice versa

2 Likes

With each count, you can apparently be held in remand for an additional 23 days and they can just keep introducing counts to basically detain people indefinitely. Hence, Japan has an insanely high prosecutorial success rate, not far off some totalitarian regimes.

1 Like

The Ghosn saga continues…

2 Likes

And Lebanon doesn’t allow extradition of its citizens

1 Like

The only thing left is to send a squad of Ronin on his arse.

Interestingly, the house that he “owns” in Beirut, was purchased through Nissan’s investment vehicle. Not shady at all.

2 Likes

Now living in this Nissan purchased compound protected by a large heavily armed ethnic Maronite army reminiscent of a James Bond villian.

This story seems like it will provide ongoing fodder for this thread for years to come.

3 Likes

Nissan should just evict him. :grinning:

1 Like

Escaped in a Music Instrument Box… :neutral_face: I have heard it all for the year now

1 Like

When it comes to CEO perks, that’s hardly shocking. Like the guy who always flew with two private planes. Yes: one man, two planes. “Just in case the first one broke down.”

And the thing is, outrageous perks are almost never a real issue among shareholders or a cause of an ouster until the stock underperforms

2 Likes

Not sure how things work at Nissan, but wouldn’t these perks generally be company assets, not CEO’s?

In any case, it seems Japan supplies millions in aid to Lebanon, so this drama may not be over.

1 Like

Mixed feelings on this one. Criminal justice system in Japan is insanely backwards (at least, in my western mind). The guy was barely able to see his lawyers for months (in the beginning), routinely charged for new crimes, and wasn’t permitted to see his wife.

He was also “reported” under suspicious circumstances, and likely due to corporate politics.

Regardless, my guess is Nissan Motor Co will spend the next 10 years in the US market barely surviving.

1 Like

He chose to live and work there, shrug. Could have been worse, he could’ve been held at Rikers Island and die in custody.

1 Like

You can’t make this shit up if you tried!

1 Like

Japanese prosecutorial success rate is apparently up there with totalitarian regimes

2 Likes

Moral of the story…don’t Eff up (or give them a reason to raise an eyebrow at you at least) in Japan.

2 Likes

More specifically, don’t do an expat assignment in Japan.

2 Likes

IDK if Ghosn is guilty but it seems really easy for a few people to conspire to frame you there, the presumption being guilty until proven innocent and how difficult it is to construct a defense.

3 Likes

Just landed in Japan and saw the news of Ghosn escaping from here. Unbelievable.

3 Likes

and no one knows how he did it without a passport.

1 Like