Nissan total loss immediate purchase to capture equity

Simon sez: if you have cash and a whopping 8k equity in your Nissan lease, buy it out BEFORE it gets totaled, not after.

Your prior post also missed the more important complication: once the insurance company declared it a total loss, the clock started ticking for NMAC/insurance:

The title had to be branded within 10 days of the loss or the loss claim being settled. It can’t be sold/transferred without being branded.

It absolutely does. Right on that line where you state that you will disclose any damage to the vehicle right when it happens.

The insurance contract does to, when you disclose the date of purchase of the vehicle and who the lien holder, if any is.

What we’re talking about here is a circumstance where one has failed to properly disclose that information.

Now, I do agree with you that things get a little more interesting if you’ve purchased the vehicle and are waiting on the title, however, the date on your bill of sale being listed as before the accident should go a long way to clarifying that issue.

2 Likes

First off, it’s hard to have a semi-technical discussion when people don’t use the same terminology. NMAC is the “lessor” here AKA the bank or captive.

Second, there is little risk from the lessor side, we can agree on that. If, hypothetically, a bank received a payoff from a lessee without knowing the vehicle in question was damaged or totaled, someone inside the bank would probably cash the check and move your file to the titling department without being the wiser. Banks are just not very good about connecting dots like that.

You know who is, though? Any decently run insurance company. Banks don’t worry too much about being defrauded when they receive checks. Insurance companies worry about being defrauded when they send checks. And, unlike the OP’s friend, they didn’t hear about this scheme for the first time yesterday.

4 Likes

Lesson learned here is tell friend no to total leased car with $8k of the captives equity.

1 Like

I wonder if he’ll take it a step further with a personal injury claim as a result of the accident :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m still going back to what I said earlier. The insurance company won’t send the check to anyone other than the lienholder listed on the insurance on the date of the incident/accident. You can’t get them to remove lienholder unless you have some evidence of ownership of the vehicle and even if you pay off the car immediately, it’ll be weeks before you have that and you still won’t have any evidence you were the sole owner with no lienholder on date of incident.

So either way that insurance check is going to the captive. From there, even if we assume the captive is none the wiser about the car accident, what happens is in the captive’s hands. Will they send you the full amount? Will they send you back just your payoff?

EDIT: I paid off my wife’s leased car back in November from VW Credit, just noticed the insurance still has VW Credit as the lienholders. Going to see what they require to remove lienholder and will report back in case anyone cares, lol.

1 Like

But isn’t that kind of the point? The date of the accident is objective. The date of when you intended to payoff the car is also usually fairly objective, too, no? Even if the paperwork takes wks or whatever to show it, I would assume there’s a fair amount of documentation supporting the intended purchase date.

I’m not a lawyer, but I assume intention matters here. The documentation of someone who has an accident and then tries to buy out the car is presumably going to look really different from the situation in which someone buys out the car and then, while waiting for the title, has an accident.

I think the grey zone here really is more about whether someone at the insurance company detects the issue. And I cannot imagine that insurance will cut a check w/o asking some basic questions.

I would think theyd care immensely about a driver filing an illegitimate claim though if it means them not having to pay it

The scenario you describe is a compelling hypothetical but it’s not the OP’s scenario.

They did not pay off the car before the total loss event.

2 Likes

That’s not true, insurance companies care a lot about this. They’re really particular about lienholder and lienholder release. If they pay you and you don’t have legitimate ownership to the vehicle then the actual owner (captive/bank) comes after then, that’s a major liability.

If you drive a friend’s car and wreck it, insurance will not pay YOU the check, they’ll pay it to the owner, whether that’s your friend or the captive/bank.

4 Likes

The few times I’ve had to deal w/ insurance, they ask a lot of questions that seem very clearly aimed at paying the minimum they are obligated to (and, from their perspective, hopefully not paying at all). And I don’t have crap insurance.

If you’e in the minority, I think it’s b/c your perspective seems to be that insurance wants to pay out quickly and efficiently. And I imagine most other posters have an experience that, like mine, indicates otherwise.

I am also really interested in any updates…

2 Likes

There won’t be any updates because OP will soon realize that what everybody was telling him/her was correct.

3 Likes

Did you mean “your friend” will do it?

2 Likes

:point_up_2:

Well, hope springs eternal. :slight_smile:

Hopefully the “friend” alter-ego is more reasonable than the OP?

1 Like

If you buy the leased car after it is totaled, I suspect the insurance company may not pay either you or the lessor. The lessor has essentially been made whole when you bought the car, so they have suffered no loss. You bought a car that was already damaged, so you have suffered no loss either.

You left out the second part. There won’t be any updates because the OP won’t admit he was wrong and that LH saved him from the biggest mistake of his life. Unless he’s already been in jail.

3 Likes

Any update? :smile:

3 Likes