Nissan total loss immediate purchase to capture equity

Lol There goes over 75% of LH posts in the ‘Should I do this category’

I only come here for validation of my hare-brained schemes. Everything else is just noise.

6 Likes

Hahaha. It’s Always for their “friend”

9 Likes

Do you have the cash to buy it? No one is going to finance a totaled car. To finance it the car is the collateral.

Also if the car is totaled and it’s already been reported to the insurance and Nissan, I’m pretty sure Nissan is going. To tell you they can’t sell you a totaled car. They are going. To take the check because it happened when they owned it.

You leased the car, this is the chance you take, if you owed more that it was worth you’d owe nothing because of gap insurance. You either take all of the risk and get all of the reward/punishment, or you play the lease game and you’re free and clear.

Good luck

1 Like

Carries must pay the replacement value. They need to provide comps. They wont be able to provide comps at 21.

She has the cash and I can front it if she didnt.

Please do keep us posted on what happens. Would appreciate if you don’t ghost us. Would really like to hear the ultimate conclusion/resolution.

7 Likes

If you think this is zero risk, you have your head buried deep in the sand

9 Likes

If you think there is zero risk you aren’t analyzing this right. Do I think your plan may work? Absolutely. But it also might not. Most likely with Nissan returning your money and taking the insurance payoff. But there are all sorts of fringe risks that exist. The most likely IMO is friend spending hours on phone fighting about this. Time has value and is therefore having to spend it is a risk.

If you are honest with everyone the biggest financial risk is insurance pays Nissan and Nissan doesn’t give you your money for car back. Nissan says you knowingly bought a totalled vehicle, you have the vehicle you purchased from us and our dealings are complete.

In the end I just don’t see how the juice is worth the squeeze. Too much risk for too little return.

Edit - @mllcb42 - you got to the problematic statement first.

10 Likes

Why post if you are going to ignore quality advice.

Got to risk it to get that biscuit :laughing:

4 Likes

Why do people come here to ask questions……when they already have all the answers :thinking:

3 Likes

Kind of like a rhetorical question?

3 Likes

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

2 Likes

That’s actually the second biggest risk. An even bigger risk is trying to collect the insurance after buying/titling it, and they’re gonna start asking some basic questions like “when did this happen?” And the OP’s friend is going to lie about it.

And then their fraud department is going to start putting their latex gloves on.

6 Likes

I’m thinking “you bought it damaged, therefore we owe you nothing.”

3 Likes

Why hasn’t no one hit him with the
tHiS iS fRauD

4 Likes

I disagree.

You run into some major issues here with timing. The insurance in place at the time of the accident covers the lessor’s vehicle with them as the payee. If you buy it out after the accident, the lessor is still the payee per the contract that was in place at the time of the accident for the accident. Your purchase occurs after the time of the event, even if the payment hasn’t been settled.

Now, follow this through to the next step of trying to make a claim on the vehicle after you’ve purchased it. You’re trying to make a claim for an accident that occurred prior to your ownership of the vehicle. There wasn’t a policy in place at the time of the accident that covered the vehicle with you as the payee.

3 Likes

Exactly. Bank was made whole when you bought it. You bought it damaged. Insurance owes nothing.

4 Likes

Yes, why I said if they are honest. If they lie all bets are off. Then the worse case scenario isn’t the insurance fraud department, it’s the Department of Law and Public Safety sending over an indictment with a possible max penalty of 5 years in jail.

4 Likes