Newbie question: 2024 Mercedes GLE 450e PHEV

aint nobody got time for that GIF

Ain’t nobody got the time to read the 10,000,000 words posted every day by Eric, let alone correct any mistakes.

11 Likes

You won’t find a good lease for the Merc

LOL, then why they still read the 100 billion words and say what I posted is incorrect? Why not simply leave it alone if there is no time to read and correct ? :face_with_monocle:

Here, btw, is the point of contention, from my post above:

There is 7500 rebate on EV vehicles and it applies to GLE450e, it’s a tax rebate if you purchase (income contingent), and direct credit by MB if you lease (regardless of your income).

Not sure what all the confusion is, there’s quite a few vehicles out there that people have been using the lease than buyout trick to snag the $7500, ID4 comes to mind.

1 Like

I was the first to call it :point_up: :grin:

I test drove the Mercedes GLE 450e tonight and liked it better than the Volvo XC90 Recharge (will need to test drive the BMW X5 50e to see which I prefer).

The sales person said that there were 3 options for leasing/purchasing that made the most sense. I’m waiting on final numbers but they included:

1. Regular lease for 24 months then lease a new one after the lease ends (he claimed it was cheaper to lease a new car after 2 years than to buy out the current car outright). I could take advantage of the $7500 EV lease credit.

2. Pre-pay the 2 year lease to take advantage of lower APR / MF and the $7500 EV lease credit.

3. Do a 24 month lease and then buy it outright after the first month. He said this might not make any sense?

Again, I’m waiting on his proposed numbers but if were to choose this car, would Option 2 be a bad decision?

I don’t have a budget that I need to stick within but my goal is to own the car and pay the least amount to get there. I would likely drive under 10k miles each year (but more than 7500).

1 Like

In at least 43 states option 1 and 2 might make the most sense. But not in a state where you’re taxed on the selling price of the vehicle, regardless of what the lease payments are.

On an $84k car that’s ~$3,600 just in tax.

To pay that tax on a cycle of every 2-3 years is brutal.

More if you capitalize it at today’s MF. $150 + rent charge per month on a 24m lease.

3 Likes

Option 3 for VA. Or the same, but buying out at the lease end.

Need a word count limit. There’s a minimum here… clearly need a maximum too @littleviolette @michael

8 Likes

10-4, 10-4, 10-4!!!

2 Likes

I am in MD, we have 6% tax on full purchase price of the leased vehicle. However, if dealer buys your leased car (as opposed to getting out of it at the end of term or under “early pull” program), you get a tax credit for the amount the dealer buys your car for. Worked well for me whenever I traded-in my car. I usually pay tax on half or less of the value of newer car and dealers mostly don’t have problem paying Carmax appraised price, it’s actual trade-in value of the car and matches very closely with pay-off (in some instances I received 2K-3K above Carmax, because car was in high demand and dealer wanted to buy it), and it didn’t offset the discounts I received on a new car. If dealer tried to law-ball and pay below wholesale/carmax, I would walk out and take it to another dealer who knew the value of my car. I never take it to carwash, always had it hand washed and detailed by professionals, kept my leases well maintained (despite the fact that it’s not really my car), with no sign of wear and tear or any scratch inside or out.

No, you explicitly stated that there was a credit received on a purchase that was income dependent and differentiated it from the incentive one receives on a lease.

This has nothing to do with your vernacular.

2 Likes

I still maintain it. I believe there is (or was when I last checked it) a $7500 incentive on purchase (whether it was an instant rebate or tax credit I don’t recall, but the incentive was there), but that incentive (if available) had income gap. But if you lease it it doesn’t matter if you are Ilon Musk or Joe Six Packs, you get the same $7500 credit from MB, which they pass on to you for the credit they get for leasing EV/plug-in hybrid car. Which part of if is inaccurate?

The part about there being a $7500 incentive available for this on a purchase. It has never applied to the GLE450e.

2 Likes

The GLE450e has not, does not qualify for the $7500 credit on purchase. You stated it did- it does not. For crying out loud man. You made a misstatement, admit it, accept it and move on. Stop doubling, and tripling down on everything you say here that is inaccurate. Jeez

8 Likes

Who told you I said OP should get 7500 rebate on purchase of GLE450e? I saw the income restricted 7500 EV incentive for this car before, but I couldn’t care less about it. I suggested OP to lease the car, get that 7500 EV lease rebate (which I know exists and is not income restricted) and buy the car next day after leasing it, just going to MBFS and sending a check for pay-off amount. What is wrong with that suggestion?

This has never existed for this vehicle. That isnt something that used to apply to the gle and now doesnt. It never has.

4 Likes

The $7,500 EV incentive to lease GLE 450e is real and that’s all I care about, and it is the only one I suggested OP to take advantage of.

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/69981/mercedes-benz/gle-class/2024-gle-450e-lease-details

P.S. I wouldn’t suggest her to use tax rebate, since most people who buy GLE450e with 70K+ MSRP probably won’t qualify for income restricted tax credit (even if it existed),and if they did they most likely wouldn’t be able to afford that car.

A little birdy.

Just kidding.
So that statement was a false one. But we established it whether you want to admit it or not. Not going to continue this pissing contest with you tn tho. Have a good one!

1 Like

What??? In the world??? @Eric51, just stay out of the conversation

4 Likes