New Mclaren delivered damaged

When I leased my Q50 RS, the dealer had to pick up the car from another dealership. I hadn’t signed the lease yet but had to put down $500 deposit before they would pick it up. I made sure it was refundable if the condition of the vehicle wasn’t to my liking. Dealer called me up and informed me windshield was cracked and agreed to repair with OEM part. Only after they repaired it and I inspected it did I sign the contract. If it was a McLaren, I would’ve expected them to do the same. If not, just return the vehicle.

1 Like

Sales managers response yesterday to my concerns:

“We did not cause any of that damage which was proven by the bill of lading that the car left without any damage to windshield, drivers side door and front spoiler. All should be repaired at the cost of the shipper.”

Basically they are washing their hands of any responsibility or assistance in making the car right and I have to deal with the transporter.
He also said that I have to sign the new lease agreement and send it back ASAP.

What do the pros suggest I should do?
My feeling is that I want the car and the deal was much better than the other 10 dealerships I contacted BUT this situation leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I shouldn’t be the one to chase the transporter to fix it…

2 Likes

LOOOOOL tell him to pound sand and best of luck with his damaged car sitting in a lot somewhere halfway across the country. You are not obligated to resign docs, and if he was a dick about it I’d recommend not doing it to spite him.

He’s not wrong that the transporters are liable, but there’s a way to go about it.

9 Likes

Did you or the dealer hire the shipping company?

1 Like

Doesn’t matter. He cannot be held liable. This is why I hold cars until contracts fund on out of state deals. The dealer signed a BOL to release the car to the transporter. They still legally own the car.

2 Likes

Maybe there is a reason for that which you can see now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The sales manager is looking for the fastest/easiest way to close the deal. By re-signing the corrected lease, you give them just what they are looking for. Once you do that, it seems that you will fighting an uphill battle to resolve the issues.

I’m sure that you are excited to get the car, albeit damaged, and would like to maintain a good relationship with the dealer. However, it’s important to stay firm on this… I would politely ask the sales manager to work with the shipper to correct the damage/issues. It’s reasonable and prudent to have the dealer handle the issues with the car/delivery – and the dealer should know this.

With respect to leasing, I found that McLaren Charlotte has some of the better deals. I hope they are not the dealership that is giving you a hard time.

4 Likes

Feels like you keep asking the same question no matter how many times people have opined on it.

This thread feels like beating a dead horse at this point.

11 Likes

Did you ask what happens if you don’t sign it?

I didn’t ask them yet. Will speak to the sales manager this week for him to work it out with the shipper and get the issues resolved for me or I will demand the car to be returned and my deposit refunded.
The dealer paid for the enclosed transporter as part of the deal. I found the transporter online since their preferred transporters were busy for 2 weeks out. Salesman stated that they have used this transporter many times and were comfortable with him.
I would like to say that the owner of the shipping company has been in contact with me since delivery and has been very apologetic about what has transpired. He has offered to have the front spoiler repainted at a shop of my choice, but repeatedly said that he is not responsible for the damage to the door and windshield crack since “it was there upon pickup” but his guy overlooked it and didn’t document it on the BOL. He said the dealership should pay for those items…

Just throwing this out there for thought. Why not call your car insurance company explain the situation to them and ask them if 1. You are covered, 2. If shipping co / shipper are responsible then will your insurance co go after them for costs to repair on your behalf. If so that may be the way to go. As for as liability is concerned, the shipper and transporter technically are liable until car is delivered and accepted by the consignee. However the limit of liability and who will ultimately cough up $ will be determined once someone submits a claim to both parties. Also the limits of their liability are determined by the Bill of Lading. Most BLs mitigate liability pretty heavily. Getting your insurance involved simply means they will use their legal resources to start that process instead of you trying to quarterback. In my experience it’s always best to take any personal feelings out of the equation and let the pros handle.

1 Like

Why would you call your insurance company about a car you don’t own? No contract = no insurance.

8 Likes

I presume insurance would have been bound in order to sign original contract. If OP wants to keep car and is considering signing new contract this may be a way to allow him to do so and have insurance cover his *ss.

You are making this too complicated and making everyone go in circles.
Do not sign the new contract. Tell the dealer you aren’t signing and they should pick up the car. Period.

The shipping company owner can apologize all he wants but ultimately his paperwork said the car had no damage when it was picked up and now it does, he is liable to fix it. His employee is incompetent if he can’t document a cracked windshield on a couple hundred thousand dollar car.
But just tell the dealer to pick up the car.

11 Likes

You could not have said it better. This car belongs to the dealer and as bad as OP wants the car it’s not worth the hassle that is coming…request they come get it.
To the call your insurance company post…most individual auto insurance does not cover broker transport which is the reason they carry liability. Someone is either incompetent or lying and signing a contract puts you in the middle of it. Say goodbye and lineup another car.

3 Likes

As nice as he seems, how the heck would he know? He wasn’t there. How can you overlook something like this? That makes 0 sense.

Don’t get emotional about the car, seems like you can have almost any. This has bad juju all over it. Now back to me figuring out what to do with my Kia that I love so much😁.

3 Likes

I would never get my personal insurance involved in a situation like this. A) he technically doesn’t own the car yet, and B) none of it was his fault. Your suggestion will potentially raise his rates for something that wasn’t his fault to begin with, and someone else should be paying for. Both the dealer and transport have insurance. It’s a battle between them. OP should tell GSM to deal with it or take it back. GSM doesn’t want to deal with it which is why he pushed it back on him, which isn’t right.

3 Likes

1 do you want to pay for car while it’s being fixed and you can’t drive it?
2 do you want to give the dealership the leverage to wash their hands of this and let you fight it out with the shipper?
3 do you want to drive a damaged car, is there any chance you would buy it out at term? If so it’s value is already diminished.

This is really simple, if you answered no to any of these questions do not sign the new contract. You received a massive gift when the contract didn’t fund, don’t waste it.

Our advice is clear it’s to to you to take it.

2 Likes

There are about 70 responses telling you not to sign and give the car back.

Walk away walk away…let the people responsible for pay it and take care of it.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that you are in this situation, but it’s crystal clear to majority of us who don’t have a dog in this fight.

1. Don’t sign the new lease.

2. Tell the selling stealership that if they don’t want to fix this issue- as others have said, “go pound sand”. They will take a big financial hit with a damaged car that is sitting on the other side of the country.

3. Do you really want this car so bad that even if it were repaired? Unless, I got another significant discount, I wouldn’t take a brand new vehicle that is damaged/repaired for full price. That’s not what you signed up for.

Step back and look at the circumstances logically. You seemed to have formed an emotional attachment- to be asking whether you should re-sign for a damaged supercar, and then hope someone will take care of the problem- you’ve lost all your leverage at that point and potentially getting drawn in to protracted insurance/legal confrontation before you get a damaged/repaired car that you’ll already paying for?

That just doesn’t make any sense. Since you’re asking: Walk away- no matter how difficult it is.