New Lease 6/20 - Volvo S60- Car too small, Trade in?

What impressed me most about the s90 was that it was $14k underwater not long after I got it for about $18k off the $60k msrp. Offers were something silly like 40% of msrp when it was less than a year old.

Would make one hell of cheap used car purchase though. Was a great car.

2 Likes

Are you able to sell a leased Volvo to third parties like Caravana and CarMax? I’ve read conflicting things on this forum, with some posts saying it’s not possible to sell a leased Volvo to Caravana. I’ve got positive equity and still have four more payments left.

Not anymore

Any idea when that changed? Seemed like some people may have had some success fairly recently.

No lease transfer and not able to sell? Wow - the only way I would get a Volvo would be if they gave it away free - like they will when Tom Brady intentionally grounds the ball in the end-zone…

1 Like

Let’s be honest, Volvo leases tend to be so far upside down that you could never sell them before either.

4 Likes

Why did it work for you last summer and now 5 months later is too “small”?

Did your kids considerably grow that much in 5 months? Additional kid on the way?

You went thru a broker and prob got a good deal. I’d hold onto it and just drive it thru termination. You can’t transfer it and like all Volvos you will have a few thousand in negative equity if you decide to trade / sell.

Not sure if they’re still doing this but Volvo usually lets you pull ahead 9 months from lease termination.

2 Likes

Currently 6 months for Southern, and 6* months for Mid Atlantic and both combinable with loyalty.

*I have to check programs, off top of my head, apologies for potential inaccuracy!

1 Like

I have actually been within $2,000 of my payoff on my S60 for several months now. Mine was a loaner that I got 34% off after incentives :laughing:

1 Like

Anyone have additional clarity if you can sell your leased Volvo to a third party like Carvana or Carmax? I’m already in the green, it helps when I only have 13k miles on the car.

I believe Volvo just pulled the plug on 3rd party buyouts.

That would be absolutely ridiculous - I don’t even understand what make it that different than having the customer write a check for the payoff. This is still listed on their payoff sheet for my lease:

“If a third party has agreed to pay off your account, there is a risk that their payment will be dishonored, in which case you would still remain responsible for your obligations to us and your account would be reopened. Unless such payment is made by cashier’s check, money order or certified check, you should request proof from the third party that their payment has been honored by their financial institution, before delivering your vehicle and/or the title to the third party.”

Third party buy outs really don’t make sense from the bank’s perspective if there is positive equity.

1 Like

Vroom game me 4K above my buyout for our 2020 XC60…granted we did put 3k DAS, but we’re still very happy.

1 Like

I’m quite ignorant on the process. Does that mean VCFS could actually deny the attempted buyout from a third party is the payoff is less than the value of the car? I’m just dumbfounded how they could suddenly change they third party buyout policy, especially since their website FAQ still says they also someone else to buyout your lease.

Well there are two discussions going on here… Why would vcfs not want to allow 3rd party buy outs and does your contract allow it.

Ultimately, what matters is what is on your contract.

1 Like

Seems like my contract just has a vague line about not assigning, transferring or subleasing to another party without their prior consent. Nothing specific about third party buyouts and any deadlines to do so.

My lease isn’t over until the end of May.

Before I sold my leased V60 to the Volvo dealer in December, I was about to sell to Carvana. Carvana wanted the payoff letter to have their name on it. It took a few days but there was no issue getting that letter from VCFS. So as of December, you could sell a leased vehicle to a 3rd party company with the same payoff amount.

Good luck.

On the side topic, I once had an M6 lease that was upside down by $30k+. I felt bad returning the car to the credit union and I hope they bought residual insurance. Didn’t like the M6 but the payment was super cheap.

This Shoukd answer your question

But the easiest and most obvious way to find out is to call VCFS. Not sure why @unprocessed just doesn’t do it.