New EV lease numbers

Hello fellow hackers,

GM is buying back my Bolt lease, and I’m in the market again for another EV.
I have been looking at Ioniq 5, ID4, Model Y, XC40, and Mach-E, but because of the inventory shortage, the only models I can find that will work with my timeline are the Ioniq 5, ID4, and XC40.
I’m not crazy about the ID4, but I test drove the Ioniq 5 and XC40, and I like them both.

I contacted my local Hyundai dealer and out-of-state dealers, and they are willing to lease at MSRP, but there are no incentives (not even the 7500 for the federal rebate), and the numbers I’m getting are terrible.

Did anyone recently lease an EV and get a decent deal?

So purchase it at MSRP and claim the tax credit for yourself.

I’m considering it, but I always leased my EV’s in the past because the technology gets better all the time, and 3 years from now we probably will have better EV with more range, etc.

You can still sell a vehicle you own, and that extra $7500 will cover a lot of extra depreciation.

1 Like

Lots of people lease EV’s and get decent deals, but the ones you want are brand new, no deals to be had for at least 6 months.

Another way to think of it. That $7,500 is abut 11 months of payments on a $45,000 car financed for 72 months. Or it is $208.33 per month for 36 months.

On a sub $50K car I cant see passing up a rebate worth 15%-20% of the purchase price.

Yeah I wish I could actually find an ID4 or RAV4 prime to get the tax credit with. :joy:

I’ve looked at all of those in person except the XC40.

The Ioniq5 is actually the most compelling… even over the Model Y that I have…

For EVs, I really would consider buying… esp if they don’t pass down the $7500 credit in some sort of lease discount.

I’m coming to the same conclusion. leasing does not make sense if they don’t pass the 7500 rebates. Plus, with how prices are going up all the time, I may be able to purchase a new EV for 50k next week, and it will be worth the same amount of money in a year from now. :grin:

1 Like

Polestar 2?

I like the P2. I didn’t test drive one (the nearby center is 2 hours away from me), but I did see one in person and sat inside. I like the way its looks and its build quality. I’m sure it will drive great with the dual motor, but it’s more of a sport sedan than an SUV like the Ioniq 5, XC40, etc., seating inside is very low to the ground, and it’s pretty tight inside. Also, the windows are small, and you don’t get a sense of roominess like in the bigger EVs, even with the big glass roof.

@kailanism

How did seating in the Ioniq 5 compare to the Mach-E in your opinion? I didn’t get to spend very much time in the Mach-E because they had just sold it but the Ioniq 5 felt really roomy. It wasn’t the Premium so I couldn’t slide the center console back but even though, it just felt like it had more space in the front because it didn’t have a center console that went all the way to the dashboard. The back row felt as spacious as the MY and I think it reclines more.

I wasn’t able to test drive the Ioniq because it was in the showroom so I don’t know how it drives.

Been hearing this for a long time … haven’t seen it since the first Bolt came out as an affordable 200+ mile EV and blew away the extremely basic or compromised early attempts like first gen Leafs and eGolfs.

That’s because there are diminishing returns to most things.

Plus most EVs now have enough range for most people’s daily and weekend routines. Beyond that it’s more about charging infrastructure than the car’s range.

1 Like

I didn’t try the Mach-E since I can’t get any. I called a couple of local Ford dealers and they all told me 6-8 months of wait time and none have an actual demo car I can test. people just ordering them without testing.
The Ioniq 5 drives great, it feels more like driving a luxury SUV compares to other EVs I tried (Model Y, XC40). it’s very quiet even at highway speed. The space inside even without the glass roof feels very roomy.

I am taking an Ioniq 5 SEL for a test drive tomorrow. I sat in an SEL on Saturday and I really liked it. The seats feel far comfier than my current Hyundai Hybrid.

Sadly all the dealers near me in SoCal are marking the car up by ten to fifteen thousand dollars.

I have about eight grand equity in my current car, plus the $7.5k in federal tax incentives, yet I still can’t find a lease or finance payment that is anywhere near what I would consider acceptable, when compared to other non-EV vehicles. And I guess that’s my problem, I am comparing them to the wrong cars.

I was under the impression that this is not being passed on by Hyundai on the Ioniq 5

I believe South Bay has no markup but has $5k in addons.

What’s the difference?

Exactly, but less egregious than $10k. Some dealers have both markup AND addons.

Hyundai does not pass the 7.5K rebate if you lease, but if you purchase you can claim it in the taxes.

1 Like