New Camaro LT1 Owners - Whos Going to Be First?

So true! Similar to post $500 hellcat lease returns.

2 Likes

Serious question: If you Callaway a leased GM car, how does lease turn-in work?

Do you just return it with the supercharger because the Callaway is an authorized modification?
Can GM charge you a fee to ā€œreturn it to stockā€ after the return?

I know this is Leasehackr and not Purchase Hackr, but the ZL1 does hold its value. If you want a supercharged V8 Camaro, is it really cheaper to build a leased LT1 versus just buying a pre-owned ZL1 and reselling when youā€™re done with it? AFAIK, the only change between the new ZL1s and the pre-2019 ones are the taillight pattern.

You also get some extras in the ZL1 like the eLSD which may be helpful with all that power.

The captive for the lease will probably want it back to stock if it wasnā€™t fitted on the vehicle at sale ??? and / or issue a charge against you for it to be refitted back to stock.

Iā€™m not sure how anyone would know until it got driven at the dealership as The pre inspection return process doesnā€™t include a test drive of the vehicle. Just a visual inspection, and I would imagine they pop the hood too to check for mods/ damage/removed parts- but someone more knowledgeable would have to chime in.

Has anyone run theirs through Vroom/Carvana to see how it looks?

Looking at you captain @spockvr6

1 Like

I got a bunch of 30k flat offers.

You can return to stock and re-sell parts on a forum.

It would be in your best interest to not turn it in with bolt on mods lol.

I think the real issue here is can the tranny handle the power? Will it get enough cooling? What secondary components will need to be upgraded?

Yes buying a used zl1 is the better bet, stock will be easier to recoup your money than a modded car, lots of people who buy these cars get picky on modded cars and for good reason too.

You are correct that although both the LT1 and ZL1 have a 10-speed ā€œHydromatic transmissionā€, they are different SKU numbers on the actual transmission part. You would want additional transmission cooling if youā€™re supercharging the SS. Personally, I see this as too much modification for a leased vehicle that has to be returned to stock at lease-end.

This does raise a different question, which is, can Callaway be ordered from the factory in a way where it is residualized into the lease, or at the very least, baked into the window sticker/cap cost from the dealership so you can return it as-is?

Iā€™d always be nervous that I strip a bolt or something while doing the ā€œreturn to stockā€ and am left returning a non-functional car.

1 Like

Quote right now for parts and friends who own a shop for friends discount is 8500. I am told if it was anyone off the street would be closer to 12k

Letā€™s be honest

No one here who leases one of these is going to add a supercharger

5 Likes

It has more than enough everything to get into way to much trouble in bone stock form.

2 Likes

Unless we start a go fund me page

2 Likes

I have seen prochargers on the ram leased and turned in, as well as the scat packs. (Removed at turn in)

If you could factory order a callaway and residualize it that would be nuts, but I donā€™t think they would ever allow that lol.

I would pay a shop to do all work, when returning to stock you really just need to disconnect the supercharger, lines, etc etc any additional cooling you put in is not going to harm the vehicle.

I might be interested, though full disclosure the factory warranty is pricelessā€¦ not sure itā€™s worth giving up, forced induction puts a lot more wear and tear on certain components that might not be up to snuff for a N/A designed car.

@spockvr6 has modded his older cars, bet he would be willing to take a crack.

Expensive repairs not covered under warranty would no longer fit my nearly half century old mindset :slight_smile:

More likely used to cover someoneā€™s hospital bills after installing thisā€¦

1 Like

Yikes, this would be a murder-death-kill on the 245s. But looking at the numbers, the 0-60 improvement isnā€™t that much. Auto LT1s can get under 4 sec with wider/better tires. Best Iā€™ve seen with a manual is around 4.5.

For comparison, the best Iā€™ve got on my winter tires so far in the cold, salty roads is 6.2 sec. No grip, lots of spin, and lots of fun.

In my A10 with lightly damp roads, I tried a few times and was 4.5-4.6. I can definitely see how better tires could get this around 4.0, maybe less if the tires would allow all the power to be applied.

Anyone hear about this? Just heard from a fellow LHer who landed one of these deals last week his engine got roasted 4 miles into his first drive because of this:

Yupā€¦If you hit the Camaro6 web forum theres unfortunately a lot of chatter about it :frowning:

It does appear that engines built before a certain date were the ones effected and those after may be OK.

12/20 build date here - hoping I skate.

11/20 hereā€¦And I have certainly gone to high rpm a few times so fingers crossed I am cool as well.