My Full size pickup search - 2018 Toyota Tundra SR5 - $315 including tax

@Cody_Carter might have some ideas on a NorCal dealer who uses USBank. The success of this deal was the 75% residual on a 36/12 lease by SETF and the ability to use MSDs to cut money factor in half. The actual discount was nothing special.

1 Like

Thanks for reply. I thought you couldnā€™t negotiate residuals? Or thatā€™s what US bank offered just for your deal or all deals.

You can not negotiate RVs. Thatā€™s what SETF was offering on that trim.

My deal was through Southeast Toyota Finance who happened to have a very high residual this month. And as @Jon said, it is a fixed %. Other regions have had similar high %s with USBank leases. The difference has been that in markets with USBank leases, there has been an additional rebate to bring the selling price down, whereas in my case, SETF offers MSDs which brought the MF down to 0.0080 from 0.0017.

75% residual? That is ridiculously high. How is that possible for this truck? How do these sell 3 years down the road?

Who cares. Thatā€™s why you lease it.

1 Like

Thatā€™s us banks problem. Iā€™m not complaining about my $290/mo $0 down $48k tundra. Except for the 13 mpgā€¦

Ok buddy, then just donā€™t answer. Curiosity of what its like to buy these new and used is not a bad thing.

How is he supposed to answer a question that isnā€™t really sensible?

But fine, Iā€™ll try: Nobody knows what price these will sell for 3 years from now. However, itā€™s probably going to be for less than 75% of the present value. Therefore, you should lease one instead of purchase one.

Well my point was that if he is just going to dismiss a question about how toyota does business and comes up with these residuals is just rude. And yeah, its hard to tell what the price will be but most likely not 75% of MSRP and yes its obvious one should lease. But I am just wondering about the business practice and where they make up the lost revenue here. My first guess would be that maybe the trucks are already overpriced compared to what it actually costs Toyota to make them so they can attract people with these residuals? Just wondering where they make up the difference because it looks so bizarre.

They artificially bump the Residual to make the lease attractive. Itā€™s not something that hasnā€™t been done on countless other lease programs with all banks at one point or another. Outside of this one exampleā€¦when the banks set the residual (when they donā€™t artificially inflate it), itā€™s nothing more than a guessing game on their part. Sometimes theyā€™re rightā€¦other times theyā€™re wrong. Nobody can truly tell what a car will be worth 2, 3 or 5 years down the road. They base it on trends and hope those trends will remain.

USBank will make it up on the back end when they hammer you on bumps and bruises when you ground it.

Ford apparently makes $10k per F150, I would expect Toyota to make a similar amount per truck, so there is some room to dig into profit there. Also, just learned in another thread about residual insurance. So that could offset some loss. Also, the base MF is ~4% compared to the .05% Ford is charging on a 24 mth lease (2.3% on a 36 month lease) and ~2.2% Nissan charges on a Titan.

My lease end buyout is ~$35K. A quick search on cars.com shows 2015-16 Tundras with under 40k miles centered around $35-39K list prices.

Iā€™m 2/3 of a tank in and have moved it from 11mpg to 12.5mpg with many quick trips around the neighborhood at 20mph with the kids in the truck bed. My boss has a 2012 double cab with a 5.7 who gets 19mpg on his.

My supercharged tundra was 16 city and 25 hwy. the supercharger would take forever to pay for itself but it was super fun

1 Like

Iā€™d like to see firm proof of someoneā€™s turn in paperwork showing this alleged bump and bruise gauging. Seems like fear mongering to me. That being said, itā€™s a lease and you donā€™t own the car, so it should be cared for in that regard

Also with high resale value vehicles it shouldnā€™t be issue because they can trade out. Just did it this week. 8 payments left on us bank Tacoma lease. He had $700 in equity. Plus us bank discounted residual $250 if he went to another us bank lease

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen $7k for the Magnuson one. That will buy a lot of gas.

Ya it got more expensive after 2015. I paid $6400 installed. Now installed itā€™s like $8k. But with all my mods was pushing 670hp. It was awesome

Ask the owner of the site if itā€™s fear mongeringā€¦

How many leases do usbank write a year? How many complaints do you see? Typically only disgruntled people write reviews. Iā€™d still like to see some paperwork and pictures of damages charged