Mercedes Benz Maintenance Question

Hey guys,

So I have couple questions about the MB maintenance plan as I couldn’t find too much information online.

1. My friend who leased a MB few months ago was told from her dealership that if she doesn’t receive mercedes benz maintenance (?) from a MB dealership and gets it done from a local body shop instead, then her car will not be covered by warranty if it breaks down. This is false, right?

2. If #1 is false, why do a lot of the people in this forum get the prepaid maintenance plan? I would assume the maintenance done is going to be pretty inflated in price.

3. What does it mean to residualize the prepaid maintenance plan?

Thank you guys!

1 is false.
2 is because of 3.
3 means you are only paying the a percentage of the cost. If the RV is 60%, that means you are only paying 40% of the maintenance costs.

2 Likes

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the quick reply!

For #3, how do you get the dealership to agree to residualize the prepaid maintenance fee? Is that another negotiation needed or is that just the norm?

Dealers should know to do it. It has to be done at time of lease.

1 Like

Even at non-residualized prices, the maintenance plan is significantly cheaper than if you paid for maintenance at the dealer service station per service. My understanding from a previous service manager was that the prepaid maintenance plans were offered at a discount to encourage leaseholders to properly maintain their cars; I don’t know if that’s true, but it certainly makes sense.

I personally always stuck w/ the dealer service station b/c I wanted a clear “chain of command” if something didn’t fixed right. A residualized maintenance plan for lease MB is, IMHO, a no-brainer unless you already have an amazing independent mechanic.

1 Like

Do I have any leverage if they just flat out say no? haha just thinking out different scenarios!

I thought that’s why it might be better to just get basic maintenance done at a local dealership hmm is the prepaid maintenance valid for any dealerships? like I can go anywhere?

Yes. Prepaid Maintenance | Mercedes-Benz USA

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t mean to make you go on the website when I could have done it myself :frowning:

If the PPM is residualized, does that mean the residual value is gonna be (MSRP + PPM price) * RV, and adding the PPM cost to the net cap cost? Idk if that makes sense

I’m in the 3rd year of my MB E350 lease and just had my 3rd service done. I leased a loaner with 5 kmi and that’s why I had to have the 1st A service done 5 months after I started the lease. MB often offers $150 off $300 service coupons and my total for 2 A and 1 B services was not too bad $550.

I’ve read prices like this on mbworld.org (many yrs ago). My costs were always $500+ for each service (IIRC). :frowning:

My A services were $150 each and the B one was $250. I applied the $150 coupon to each service

Would an AMG be significantly more than that or roughly in the ballpark?

I wish I could tell you :slight_smile: I think it’s materially more expensive

1 Like

you can go to the online configurator for vehicles and see how much it costs to add it when building your own. that should be what the standard price is. some dealers mark it up

Just my two cents. Leased an Evoque. Just turned it in today. Had the first maintenance done at dealership - $400 or so. Checked the maintenance schedule and noticed all that was required for the required visits was a lot of look-sees. Kicked myself for going to dealership for the first visit. Did the next two services at local LR/Jag shop. Each visit no more than $200. No one ever asked to see my receipts. Not the pre inspection people and not the dealership at turn in. I guess I’m not sure why anyone goes prepaid maintenance.

Btw also learned that if dealership purchases the car at lease end rather than letting it go to auction, lessee does not have to pay disposition fee and any mileage overage. I’m wonder if this is just LR/Jag.

1 Like

Applies to any brand. If the dealership buys the car, MB is no longer the owner, so miles wouldn’t need paid + you’re not disposing the car any longer to MB so the fee goes away as well. There have been some reports of people still having to pay Honda a dispo fee if they sell to a non Honda dealer, but generally speaking, if you sell the car instead of turn it in, you’re free and clear.

2 Likes

I leased an E300 about a year ago. I changed the oil when it came due by myself, I have been doing routine maintenance on my cars since high school and that was many years ago. I am keeping the oil and filter receipts in case there are any questions when I turn it in. Dealerships in the Chicago area are charging around $300-$500 for the A and B service which is basically the oil change and “inspection” which likely takes them about 5 minutes if they do any inspecting at all. I use the required Mobil 1 oil and OEM filters so they can’t complain about that. Did the same with my wife’s MDX and had no trouble when I turned that one in.

2 Likes

1: Wrong, buy from another dealer, one that does not lie to you.
2: I bought the pre paid service because it was less than half the cost of paying the dealer each time.
3: I pre paid for 3 services, ended up needing a 4th a few months before turning in the lease. Dealer wanted $900, a local mechanic that specializes in MB service, after explaining I was going to drive about 2,000 miles and turn the car in, did an oil change, said I needed an air filter, reset the service light, $180

1 Like

Another story, a friend of mine leases a Corvette every 2 years. 24/12k lease. This goes back at least 6 or 7 cars. Not once has he ever services a car. He drives it for two years and turns it in. No oil changes, no service, nothing

5 Likes