Mercedes Benz EQS Lease Superthread - 1

Is that becouse of LH?
LOL

Considering @derekoh1991 and @oarfish18 are probably losing Mercedes EQ sales to IONIQ5, I think the problem is Stuttgart whiffed big time on how they product planned the EQ lineup. Strategically, Daimler made a big bet to pursue the BEV market. But Daimler has a very old-school development lifecycle. They can’t pivot fast enough to compete with Tesla. So Daimler is now suffering the consequences.

I don’t think their processes have changed much over the years, but Daimler has this crucial development milestone known as “Lastenheft” This Lastenheft is basically the primary framework definition for the project. While it’s not a “design complete” milestone, it basically establishes rules and targets by which all development on the program has to achieve.

For example, the W223 S-Klasse had Lastenheft in 2014. The vehicle came out in 2020. No joke, that means over many years a vehicle focus is developed, and every single program group under the project has to march toward achieving the targets around cost, weight, component sourcing, manufacturing, supply chain, product marketing, and ultimately sales.

Definitely sucks for the global sales team when they’re handed product that is a jelly bean, priced too high, and only seems to have a hyperscreen as a USP. Explains why they’re moving the EQS further upscale (hyperscreen is now standard) and they’re probably going to have to push hard on EQB/EQE while managing supply more intelligently.

But that means the existing floor stock of EQS - especially the sedan will need some monstrous incentives. The dealers took a chance on the EQS, but now their flooring lines are being smashed by a lot of these EQS. I think MB-USA should just hurry the heck up and rip off the band aid. They should just run a $50mm USD program and gut their stock of 2023 EQS sedans. LH will be ready heh.

2 Likes

Plus Mercedes thinks that EQs are way underrated and deserves more for the luxury aspect

1 Like

They should have made the inside of the EQS look like an S-Class then lol. Kind of like how the GLS still just looks like an E Class inside. If the EQS was supposed to be aspirational luxury why benchmark the lower end car?

1 Like

Question directed to MBUSA

At least you all cleared your inventory of EQS sedans. The California dealers probably have like 1,000. I bet the days supply of EQS sedan in the Pacific region is now like 180 … with some stock about to hit their first birthday.

I pulled images of s Class interior and it looks like the eqs… Am I missing something?

The screens (non hyperscreen EQS) and steering wheel are about the only similarity. They designed the EQS with the hyperscreen focus, but it looks rough without it equipped. The S-class never had it in mind, so its got nicer design elements around the dash and doors. I sat in a EQS when it first came out and it honestly felt closer to my E300 at the time, than any S-class I’ve been in.

EQS

S-class

1 Like

Well said !

MB corporate are in their dreams when they rolled this out. Now the reality hit hard. poor car design - functional and appeal, with eye popping price tag.

Man Reaction GIF by Ford

1 Like

I still find them incredibly similar but I get your point. If I only saw the interiors I’d choose the bottom one.

They would love for more people to lease vehicles at almost any nonloss price. The inventory just isn’t moving, period.

Exactly. People like me are waiting for the 2024 EQS SUV because of improvements but I will take a 2023 Hyperscreen equipped EQS SUV if offered a price I can’t refuse

1 Like

I don’t have a large sample size but the two W223 owners I know sat in the EQS and just said “meh”. I don’t know if it’s a combination of less quality materials, seats, and road noise but they’d take their S580 all day every day.

And when they briefly drive the EQS they were immediately turned off by the brakes.

But of course a S580 will cost way more lol. if your business lease is funding your ballin ride and you’re this wealthy, the car you aspire to put yourself in is a S. Not EQS.

The Throttle House review may offer more insights, but that Grey Magno with those 21” wheels looks pretty good hah.

Last round of car shopping, I was considering (among other things) a CPO S580, and would have been thrilled to find the right one.

Separately, my test drive of the sedan in the early days of EQS-a-Palooza and $5xx payments was so profoundly puzzling and disappointing I was disoriented by the end. I can’t conceive a price point that would entice me to drive one home.

I won’t rehash everything I hated, but beyond that very long list… it just isn’t [anything] enough.

It looks like the EQS market is for former Tesla owners. The interior as well as fit and finish is so much nicer than the Model S we had prior to the EQS. Sure, the brakes are a bit off and the full technology might be a step down, but the rest is so much better.

1 Like

That’s a possibility.

It’s a step up from a lot of things for sure, it just isn’t really flagship-sedan caliber for people who have traditionally shopped in that MSRP range… but maybe that’s the point.

1 Like

Just got a EQE Suv and so far I like it except the exterior looks . My MBUX is somewhat laggy, especially when connected to Carplay. I am wondering this is normal or others are experiencing it? Carplay is slower than my 2018 Jeep GC I would say.

EQE Suv is definitely a step up from my $260/mo i3 and $330/mo GC for sure. For what it is, it is worth the $590 lease payment also. Would I buy it for $85K ? No.

1 Like

I haven’t encountered an EQ_ SUV and I’m willing to reserve judgment.

For one thing, the SUVs are lot better looking than the sedans.

And I have different standards for luxury-oriented SUVs, which I expect to be boring and drive like a bucket of phlegm.