Maserati Ghibli

Haha … this is @Phantomcypher we are talking about, he only buys “da bomb” deals because he needs a ton of cars for his collection :slight_smile:

The only other option is to wait for the $488/mo when it comes around but for a negotiated deal, it is not bad for a Mas

Got the car, super excited!

Was able to negotiate the maintenance fee down to $800, though from other threads (that I found too late), I could have been more aggressive, possibly knocking it down to $600-700.

Overall, happy with the lease and the payment! Thanks for the help everyone.

3 Likes

Congrats! Please post pics!

1 Like

What dealer and who did you work with? Thanks!

Sorry for being so slow with the replies!
I will post some this weekend!

@BahamutXero7 better yet, if you are somewhere close to Tustin, CA (SoCal) we are meeting up IRL

1 Like

Go to Maserati in BH.

Ask for Nadine.
310-437-9738

She is the best and will work hard to gain your business.

Additionally, avoid the sales rep named Adam.
He tried to gouge my wife and frankly speaking, was extremely rude to her.
I actually went there to speak to their owner/manager and chew them out but got lucky in finding her.

Tell her Wendy sent you : )

Sounds like fun! Will see if I can roll out at that time.
Where are you guys planning on meeting?

The details/locations is on the post linked above … if you mean specifically, we don’t have a spot yet. There is a coffee place somewhere in the Enderle center and that may be where we end up

Post updated. We’ll meet outside the coffee shop (The Coffee Grinder), rain or shine.

@bahamutXero7 Sounds like you landed one of the first great Ghibli lease deals of 2017. I’ve been surfing a few of these forums and your lease certainly jumped out as a great lease. I also live in SoCal and am in the market for a Ghibli, so I’ll reach out to Beverly Hills Maserati as you suggested.

Could you do me a favor and post the final details of your lease? Really interested to see what selling price you were able to negotiate on a MSRP of $78k.

If anyone else has any thoughts on what the discount should be on 2017 Ghiblis in the $73-$80k MSRP range, I’d love to hear it. Not a lot of good data points so far on the 2017 leases. Right now, I’m talking to a dealer (only because they have the exact color combo I’m looking for, which is proving difficult to find) that is only offering a 16% discount ($62k) on a MSRP of $74k. Doesn’t seem like nearly enough, and I would imagine this is well north of the selling cost on the lease that @bahamutXero7 was able to negotiate.

Thanks in advance!

The last 3-4 Ghibli threads have all been on 2017 leases, I don’t even think there are 2016 Ghiblis anywhere on this forum. You can also go to http://ghibliforums.com and search for Sick Ghibli lease.

As far as the discounts, they are not the same as you go up the ladder. The base models ($73-74k) are much easier to get discounts for as they are missing stuff. Once you move up from the base model, you will find that the discounts will NOT be there at all.

As far as specific numbers on a non-base model, here is the last interesting one with all the details and was negotiated. The $488/mo guys just got lucky (refer you back to the Ghibliforums.com for the anecdotal back story). To make that deal work, you will need $19-20k off MSRP

@chrisgo Appreciate the quick response. I should have clarified. I haven’t seen a lot of 2017 Ghibli leases signed in calendar year 2017 (and not in late 2016). The once-in-a-lifetime “sick” Anaheim Hills Maserati deals aside, my gut tells me that some of the better deals signed in late 2016 on 2017 models got the benefit of year end promotions. It seems like some of the more recent leases I have read about have had much less attractive terms, especially when it comes to the upfront OOP cap cost reduction. The lease payment that @BahamutoXero7 signed up seemed really attractive without much OOP expenses, so I would have to imagine that he was able to negotiate a pretty attractive selling cost. Maybe I’m wrong… I’m by no means a lease expert and just stumbled across this site a few days ago. I’m just a guy in the market for a car and spending WAY too much doing research and likely over-complicating the situation…

Got it on the “2017 signing” – you are correct. Keep in mind that the $488 deal was before they started running the “Gran Finale” commercials.

IMHO, there is no such thing as spending WAY too much research. Nothing like a 2nd (or a lot more here) pair of eyes looking over your deal. There is actually a thread here where folks are trying to lease a $50/mo car and trying to get the “approval of the community” (some funny responses about monthly coffee budgets afterwards)

If you have money to burn, by all means, just find a “good deal” using your gut and go for it :slight_smile: As long as you don’t think $1200/mo on an Audi Q5 is a “good deal” like the Audi forum guys, I think you will be OK :slight_smile:

Most of the folks here are kind of insanely detail oriented (even doing the cost benefit analysis of the MSDs vs investing outside the same cash) and really good guys. There is a ton of stuff to learn and once you get a good deal, most guys hang around and pay it forward to the next wave of newbies

Do your research and feel free to ask questions. Once you understand leasing you’ll save thousands over your lifetime.

Hi Gang,

I feel like this is a pretty poor lease on a relative basis compared to some of the leases discussed in this thread and others–and specifically the lease that @BahamutXero7 referenced above–but curious to hear your thoughts. Here’s what I’ve been offered and the dealership seems unwilling to budge even after I told them I’m motivated to get the deal done but not on these terms. Either this is a good deal and I’m missing something, or this dealer thinks that I’m a major sucker. Here are the terms:

MSRP: $74,050
Selling Cost: $62,050 (16% off MSRP)
Cap Cost Reduction/OOP: $$4,995
Addl. Drive-Off Fees: $2,562 (Total Drive-Off Fees Incl. 1st Lease Pmt: $4,995 + $2,562 = $7,557)
Residual: $37,766 (51%)
Money Factor: .00002
Mileage: 12k/year
Pmt Incl. Taxes @ 8%: $632

This seems like a bad lease to me give that the lease @BahamutXero7 got was for an MSRP that was $4,700 higher ($74,050 vs. $78,700) and his OOP was $2,180 including 1st pmt (vs. $4,995 on mine), and his monthly pmt w/ tax is $549 vs. mine at $632. Granted his mileage was for 5k vs mine at 12k–which I guesstimate would have increased his pmt approx. $80/month–it feels as though BahamutXero7’s monthly pmt would have been ~$629 ($549 + $80) for 12k miles/year vs. mine at $630, but my lease is for a car with a $4,700 lower MSRP AND my OOP is $2,815 higher. That’s a difference of $7,515 ($4,700 + $2,815), which over 36 months, is worth $209/month. This probably isn’t the 100% accurate way to compare my MSRP and OOP, but I would think the overarching conclusion is still noteworthy.

A couple things to note here… first, I don’t want to (and don’t feel I should have to) put down $4,995 on this car to get a good lease. Secondly, when I run the math on the bankrate.com auto lease calculator using the figures above, I’m arriving at a payment of $581 and not the $630 that I was quoted. My questions are: (1) do you guys think this is as bad of a lease as I do, (2) are you arriving at the same $581 payment as I did when running the math, and (3) does a selling cost of $62k (16% off MSRP) seem like the right selling cost?

Last question is does anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other about purchasing one of these Ghiblis? If I purchase this car, the dealer is willing to cut the price to $57k. Not sure if it should be a red flag that the purchase price is $57k (which seems like a very fair price) vs. the selling cost of $62k on the lease, but regardless, I’m also entertaining purchasing a Ghibli due to concerns that my mileage may come in closer to 15k/year and I’m not sure it makes as much sense to lease at such high annual mileage levels. While I’d like to lease and keep the option to buy the car out at the end or get rid of the car (and avoid any potential accelerating maintenance costs after 36 months), I also don’t want to be in a position after 36 months of leasing (at 12k/year) that I either (1) owe 30 cents per mile over 12k or (2) feel obligated to buy a car after 36 months simply to avoid the hefty mileage overage charges.

Really appreciate everyone’s help.

That’s a terrible deal. I would never buy a car from them. Many of the Maserati dealers still act like they used to before the cars were made by Fiat/Chrysler. A handful of dealers play ball and give decent deals- find a different dealer who will work with you.

It’s much easier IMO to compare total lease cost ($xx,xxx) rather than keep comparing monthly vs monthly and OOP vs OOP.

But rewind for a minute and look at the deal you are referencing. What month was it in, and what were the MF/residuals then and now? A lot of the difference could be in those, in which case there’s very little negotiating you can do. OR, if the difference is mostly in the selling price, there is a ton of negotiating you can do.

So figure out WHY there are differences first.

Secondly, it’s not that hard to compare apples:apples on mileage differences. If this leaseCo/Bank was like most others it’s probably a 3% difference in RV to go from 5K to 12K per year. So your total lease cost should go up by 3% of MSRP plus interest to go to 12k, all else being equal.

It’s not a bad way to get to the numbers but hard to be precise.

The RV keeps the MSRP “in check” – meaning, you cannot just use MSRP as the basis for your monthly payment being high or low as the residual moves with it.

$78,700 x 51% = $40,137
$74,050 x 51% = $37,766

So the $4,700 is closer to $2,371

The RV is taking a hit a lot going from 5k miles to 12k and then 15k miles. We are talking about $0.30/mile excess so it may be more than 3% impact but 51% seems right for 12k miles. For the $488 deals (like me), I have already budgeted for excess miles. It is basically $300/1,000 miles over & I am already there after 4 months. So it will be $900/yr extra for me (or I trade the 2nd $488 deal with my brother)

The drive-off is ~$2,500 not including any downpayment. Can’t really do much about this.

Your downpayment of $4,995 / 36 effectively adds $139/mo so your payment with $0 down is $771 (+/- the taxes)

Appreciate the replies, @chrisgo and @max_g.

@chrisgo, your response makes a lot of sense. I definitely wasn’t’ thinking through the MSRP-residual relationship the right way. Based on your math and mine, I’m still coming to the same conclusion that I’m not looking at good deal.

@max_g I agree, some of the differences were due to timing (especially the Ghibli leases in Q4 2016), but BahamutXero7’s lease was last month so I"m hoping that it’s a pretty accurate reference point. Although, I did call the salesperson he recommended, and she was unwilling to do anything better than the deal (if you can call it that) that I already have on the table. Seemed odd to me since that deal was heads and shoulders better than mine. With respect to the “selling price,” I’m guessing that’s where most of the noise (and dealer profit) is in my deal. The money factor, residual, and drive-off fees, seem reasonable, so assuming they are, the selling cost seems like the issue on my deal given how much OOP money ($4,995) the dealer wishes I would sink into the car for. Not sure if any conclusions can be drawn from this $5k delta…

Thanks.