Marketplace filled with non-deal "deals"

Michael,

Thanks. Request for two other disclosures in ads:

• Discount off MSRP
  • Price for outright purchase or finance (if different/higher than lease)

The discount-off MSRP seems like a must for evaluating a deal and has been seconded by many in this thread. The purchase price is also important since leases getting unfavorable and many are now opting for financing.

4 Likes

Discount off MSRP is important and already included in the listings of the best brokers (Clutch, LeaseCompanion, etc.).

I don’t see how it’s useless; without it, there are two hidden variables. If discount off MSRP is included, it would make it more clear than MF is being marked up.

3 Likes

We are seeing a lot of click bait titles now too.

examples:

MSRP or Below Deals on Everything (Some Exceptions Apply)…the word ‘everything’ indicates there are no exceptions…

including rebates not everyone qualifies for in title quotes,

etc…

14 Likes

Please see my full comment below.

There are some brokers that list the discount off MSRP and also mention whether it is base MF or not.

I don’t think I’ve seen a decent lease deal of any type, ANYWHERE, for the past 6 months plus.

Factor in the $1000 inception/disposition fees, the wear&tear/mileage restrictions, inflated MF and it really makes ZERO sense to lease these days. The only exception might be with those banks that allow you to sell to third parties…but even those may change their tune anytime.

I’m going to need to replace our second car this fall…I’m really not sure what I’ll do. But based on deals on this board, leasing is not going to be an option.

I understand your point, my point is that having discount off MSRP would further expose those brokers who are marking up the money factor, so how that be bad. The discount would be one more thing to look at and how can that be bad.

Also, I also suggested that the listings include the price for outright purchase or finance. That would further show if the discount off MSRP is legit.

1 Like

why are you using only discount off? It seems like most of us here look at total cost of ownership regardless of whether you lease or finance.

Exactly. I can discount and mark up the mf. There’s many factors into a good deal.

Most important thing is competition. And we have lots here, that’s how you get the lowest pricing. I have no problem with dealers paying this website to advertise shit deals. Just makes my deals look that much better.

People who come here clearly care about pricing. I doubt they buy the first car they see…

4 Likes

Haven’t seen a decent lease deal here compared to what? 2 years ago? Live in the now, that’s all that matters. Deals here are much better then deals most people get on their own. Hence why fees can be charged to obtain them.

4 Likes

Compared to buying outright.

Unless you know what the future will be, then you can’t say it’s better to buy then lease now. Lots of people underwater if pricing and inventory stabilize, if they’re leasing they can just toss the keys back to the bank. Not so easy when you own it.

6 Likes

22 posts were merged into an existing topic: Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

I agree with OP. There’s just too many “filler” broker posts in the marketplace. Maybe I’m lazy, but I give up after a minute of trying to go past the normal deals.

I personally rather have “last minute” or “group buy” type of deals which hopefully are good deals but very limited. Example… “need to move 2 range rovers this weekend” or “Accord EX @ $400 a month, $1k DAS, 5 minimum buyers”

I understand it’s a free market. Edmunds and True Car does normal market pricing/posting very well. I remember reading about all the good deals and tips on how to “hack” a deal 5+ years ago. Felt like I was part of a crazy group (watching from the sidelines). I want to see more “hack” being done in today’s marker. Even an Accord at $400 a month, $1k DAS would be a hack I guess. I wanna feel jealous when I see a deal or a broker deal. :smile:

Leasemarkttplace.com?

I’m a lurker but I agree with you. The purpose of the site is to be a resource for smart buyers looking for deals.

On the other hand, I can see how difficult it might be to implement a fix for bad deals in practice.

Patience. Deals are coming back…but interest rates likely will erase them. The economy is fluid and cash could be king in the future to avoid high rates. As in buying your car in cash at a discount or a one pay lease to take advantage of interest discounts.

Right now cars at msrp are a deal for many brands. Many dealers might sell at msrp if you wait 6-12 months. The value of brokers is getting you that car this month at the same price. For someone that needs a car now, doesn’t have the time to call 50 dealers, $500 isn’t a bad rate for it.

12 Likes

Getting a car right now is not a good idea. If you are not in dire need of a car right now, then the only way to mitigate any concerns is by ordering the car. Wait for it for 6 to 12 months, because interest rates will definitely be much lower than now. Feds cannot have a prolonged period of high interest rates.

Lock in your MSRP and discounts. More favorable MF will come down the road.

1 Like

The 1980’s would like a word with you. If we’re not at double digit interest by the end of the year, you know we’re in a controlled implosion.

7 Likes

No one knows where interest rates will be 6-12 months from now…it just pure speculation.

And I’m not really sure how you’re supposed to lock in your MSRP and discounts for a car you’re not buying for 12 months, aside from a Tesla. And there is no discount there.

3 Likes

It might make sense to allow the community to rate commercial posts as it will bring some transparency. Currently, one can only upvote the post, I would suggest adding an option of downvoting at least for the posts made by dealers and brokers.

At this point i would like to see:

1. Better organization. Ideally a separate section that is a database instead of forum, where the advertisers could post their deals and then users can sort through them

2. Discount off msrp and buy rate/ MF markup being required