M550 vs M5 lease debate

, ,

So I am in the market for another car, and I’m torn between the sportier sedans, more specifically the M550 and M5 (Yes I acknowledge the difference in price is steep) I also am eyeing the S6, but that’s a last resort as BMW is the best in blending performance and comfort in my eyes. If anyone has experience with the M performance models, and how they stack up against the full M models (currently have an M and and a base model BMW) I’d appreciate the advice. I’m located in NJ, my roads aren’t the worst but they definitely aren’t the best, if that helps with advice. Thanks to everyone who posts

@Bostoncarconcierge can provide input on the M550, so can @trism.

I’ve driven the M440 and daily drove a M4, and I’m going to be honest, the M440 was good, slightly more comfortable, but not as fast or fun or eye catching.

in the words of Matt, get the M550 unless you want the extra prestige of the M5

1 Like

you think you will want/need the speed? its a huge difference in the illegal speeds. but not like you are going to launch control the car at every light/freeway entrance… braking wise, moot point on the streets… comfort will be mainly tire/suspension options based, which I think many in the M5 may find a bit rough for a daily…im use to higher road vibration and noise…

me personally , im a sports car person, so id rather save money and get something comfortable and quick, save money for car # 2 or 3… If you need an all in 1 car, m5 for sure.

I watched the videos already, but if you watched Moto-Mans review he said that the M550s suspension doesn’t match the raw power of the engine, making it a sort of Frankenstein car. I’ve yet to drive an m performance variant but it’s gotta be smooth as butter for regular daily city driving.

have you seen this?

1 Like

it doesnt match? its fine, its a big sedan…Its not going to be an M car, but thats the price you pay for having some more comfort. I feel like all reviewers seem to talk about full road track use of the car, For daily/city/ occasional back roads its perfectly fine.

This has to be recent, haven’t seen this video in the past couple months

Moto-man is usually not that crazy when reviewing performance vehicles, he’s not so performance oriented that he won’t recommend the vehicle if it’s not a full on race car.

I’ve had both the M550 and the M5 competition. The M550 is a much more comfortable/luxurious car overall so if that’s what you’re looking for, it might suit you better.

If you’re looking for a raw, fast, and obnoxious car (which is what I was looking for :crazy_face:) then the M5 shits on the M550. The M550 is fast and all but it’s no real M car… It’s definitely worth the price difference.

7 Likes

Thanks for the tag.

Mine is basically used as a grocery getter (and then only part time), so I didn’t even pause to consider spending more on an M5.

My 550 is a 2018, so it is ~60 hp short of the newest ones, but even with ~450 it’s a blast to drive for a sedan.

I drove an S6 and was disappointed compared to the M550. The E53 was awful (and I couldn’t find an E63). I also considered an S8, but it was larger than what I wanted.

exactly, the difference might be minuscule 0-60 wise but where the m5 differentiates itself from the m550i is with its driving dynamics, both cars have very different personalities and characteristics.

1 Like

Benz is hot garbage, I’ve hated Benz since 2013 lol

Yea that’s why I started the thread, since they are still quite different even though they are similar power wise.

so what the issue? ask yourself, do you want to pay more for the thrill?

Exactly my problem, pay 80-90k for 85% power/fun or just go full stupid and pay the 120k for the perma grin on my face for 3 years lol :joy:

1 Like

internet stranger spending your money says go full STUPID, lifes short

9 Likes

The m550 is a superb machine, period.

However, after a short period of time I realized it was a waste of a great car for me because I spend no time on the highway.

I work from home now and most of my driving is local on roads where speed limits are 45mph max. During that kind of driving, you couldn’t really feel how special the car was.

If I still commuted every day, the m550 would be the best car for the job.

Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy the feeling of driving a semi-special car, but for my current situation, it wasn’t the best option.

As a highway cruiser, it does it all, and it does it all so damn well.

So how is this even a question?

Test drive both and choose the smoother one.

1 Like

In laymans terms

M550 - built for daily driving

M5 - built for a madman.

I would go m5 but then double down and drop a dme stage 2 tune.

Really depends on what you want out of the car, I want to be the baddest mf on the road and don’t mind if it has a stiff or harsh suspension so long as it provides visceral power.

1 Like