Luxury SUV for 3 car seats

I got my terminology wrong. We have a rear facing now too. As far as I know there’s no lower anchors in the middle seat of the second row. So only two rear facing seats in the 2nd row using a base system

It goes by very fast, so I can’t be sure, but does the whole seat tilt and not just the seatback? If so, that makes sense and would work, as long as there is room, like you said.

Q7 third row is fine if you push up the second row seats, each of which adjust individually. The Q7 second row is so spacious that even a second row seat pushed all the way up still has plenty of room.

Of course, you’re not going to fit a large adult back in the Q7, or most third rows for that matter.

We went thru the exact same scenario. For me, I’m a math and deal nerd. So I don’t want to overpay relatively speaking for a car that I may like marginally better.

We have a Lexus GX460 and Infiniti QX60. The Lexus is big but honestly not much more space than the qx60. We have the limited qx60. The interior is pretty nice and I agree with what others have said about the car. For the lease deal vs say any other 70k car, I would take the Infiniti. Also the Lexus isn’t that nice. But if want more of a truck that you can beat up and not worry about, it’s good for that. My kids trash the thing. The Infiniti has no food and limited toys, stickers etc so it stays nice.

We were torn between the XC90 and QX60. In the end, the better deal won out even though the XC90 is a bit nicer

The German SUVs including the VW atlas just don’t lease that well. Further the Q7, while not terrible, I was not that impressed with. Again I would take the qx60 limited over the Q7 all day. The X5 and cayenne aren’t big enough on the back back. Haven’t checked out the X7. The Land Rover discovery worked also but just terrible lease so didn’t really even bother.

The Model X back cargo area wasn’t big enough for us either with the taper down in the back. At the time our twins were little little and it wouldn’t fit the double stroller plus the dog. Now it’s not an issue that they are a bit older and don’t use the double stroller.

Edit. Forgot to add that all three car seats go across the middle row I’m both cars. We have 2 Clek fnoofs and 1 Britax marathon

2 Likes

Also going back to this post

Check out this site to see what cars have what anchors and latches:
https://thecarseatlady.com/my-19/

Something I didn’t realize is the anchors in most cars only support like 65lbs including the car seat. So I spent all this time worrying about anchors and in the end we would be using the seat belts anyway because the kids would approach the weight limit with the anchors after a little while.

1 Like

With the GX my friend has one and doesn’t like how the tailgate works. It’s barn door style that opens away from the curb.

Otherwise likes the car though

We have the regular Expedition, not the Max. Currently on vacay and rented the Expedition Max, but still confident in our decision and don’t think we would have needed the extra length.

Getting caught up on this thread and will also throw a shout out for the Clek car seats. Decided to not trek them to the airport and rented car seats from Enterprise. Can definitely say we’re missing our Cleks at this point.

yeah I just checked the max doesn’t add space in the 3rd row just behind it, the regular is good enough for 99% of people.

1 Like

I didn’t have anything nearly as nice or sporty as a Cayenne, but my wife was the same saying no way to a van. But our previous Highlander XLE/Acura MDX can’t hold a candle to our new Honda Odyssey that now houses 3 car seats. The convenience is unmatched and you are legit making your life harder by not having a van. Do it!

This times 1000. The huge SUV screams mom anyway, so just get the van and embrace it!

1 Like

I beg to differ. The third row Q7 is FAR from fine. I am 6’0 and could not sit with my legs straight.

The XC 90, GLS and X7 did not remotely have this issue and I fit perfectly.

Q7 is midsize and doesn’t compete against a gls or x7. It does compete against the xc90, and also with the mdx, qx60, x5, etc.

The xc90 is regarded as having the best third row in the class. Either way, in the midsize segment, the third row isn’t intended for full time adult use.

I feel the GLS could be a good solution for the luxury vs functionality (minivan) debate. With the 2020 redesign you could get a decent deal perhaps, but then again there is a 2020 redesign. Have dealers mentioned release dates for the new model?

I agree honestly outside of an expedition, navigator, suburban, you shouldn’t really expect to seat adults in the 3rd row, the hip and shoulder room play a huge role as well.

SA said “few” weeks but not an exact date

From recent test drives, two adults are able to sit comfortably in third rows of GLS, XC90, X7, but not Q7.

Depends on the seat, obviously, but you’re not going to be able to push up the second row all the way with a typical RF convertible seat.

I know the cleks and Dionos take up a ton of vertical space, so those would be tougher to deal with.

I use the nuna Rava and it’s very compact in rear facing mode. It also depends on the height of the person in the front seat as well.

The biggest problem with almost all of these vehicles is that trunk space is nonexistent with the third row in use. We’re a family of 5 and have used the third row exactly once in the year we’ve had a Q7. Thus, the Q7 with its amazing second row was perfect for us.

If OP needs a big vehicle, just skip the Q7, xc90 and any other midsize suv altogether.

Ya the tailgate is the worst. It swings open and takes up a ton of space behind the car. So when parallel parking you need a fair amount of space behind to open it.
Plus it swings into the sidewalk. Meaning you are on the street side to get into the back.

No experience on the xc90 or q7 but if you are over 6 foot forget about the x7, the gls is marginally better but still not very comfortable for a decent trip (1 hour+). 47 inches of shoulder room in the 3rd for the q7 and 50ish inches for the gls, the navigator on the other hand has a whopping 64 inches of shoulder room in the 3rd row, couldn’t find hip room info for the x7 or gls but the navigator is at 51.4. Headroom is about even with the gls edging both out by an inch or two, the x7/navigator are at 37 inches.

I guess it’s kind of splitting hairs because when are you actually going to use the 3rd row to seat adults on a lengthy trip, for most it’s probably very rare. Still it’s nice to know that the 3rd row seats people as comfortably as if they were sitting in the back of a 5 series/e class (navigator) versus the gls/x7 feeling like a 3 series.